job hunt dilema

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by agriteacher, May 31, 2012.

1. agriteacher

agriteacher Rookie

May 31, 2012

ok, so I've been putting in applications all over the state of arkansas for the position of agri teacher and I finally got an interview at one of the schools. The interview went really well and the principal said I should be hearing from them tomorrow sometime. However, there is another school that I applied to closer to where I currently live but they said they won't be doing interviews for another week or so. The school I interviewed at doesn't have as strong of a program and when I saw the agriculture building, it was practically falling apart and had to be one of the most worst shops I've ever seen. The program can be salvaged but it's gonna take a lot of work and money that the school doesn't have. What do I do? Do I hold out for a school that might not give me an interview or take a job at a school that I would probably not like teaching at? I currently have a job working at a preschool so I'm not totally unemployed.

3. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

May 31, 2012

It all goes down to weighing the pros and cons and what you value most. No one can tell you what would be the best career choice because most of that comes from what you value most.

Make yourself a chart and put down all the things you want for yourself in the left hand column and give each item a percentage of weight (i.e. how important it is to you). Then, on the top row, label the rundown school and strong school. Score each school for each item on a ranking of 1 to 10. Whatever ranking you give each item, multiply that by its weight (e.g. ranking of 9 and a weight of .5 equals 4.5) to get a value. Add up all the values for one school and compare that with the other school. Whichever one is higher might be a good indicator which direction you should take.

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 31, 2012

If you've been putting in applications all over the state, I wouldn't turn down an offer when you don't have any other interviews scheduled yet.

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 31, 2012

I wouldn't either. That's the situation I was in for my current job. I was absolutely less than thrilled about it, but I had no other interviews even scheduled. I ended up enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would- I am moving on next year, but it's been a good experience and it was a good school to start off in.

I guess like jwteacher said though, it comes down to what's more important to you. I did everything in my power to not have to live at with my parents and sub. My friends thought I'd gone off the deep end when I moved across the country without knowing a soul for a job I wasn't even that excited about- but for me, it was better than the alternative.

6. agriteacher

agriteacher Rookie

May 31, 2012

I don't have an actual job offer from either school so I guess I will just wait and play it by ear for now.

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 31, 2012

Agriculture does not seem to me to be that in demand (though I live in NJ). I'm guessing any school that offers it only has 1 teacher. Take what you can get now, and worry about finding another job a year or two down the line.

8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 31, 2012

For the first time in a long time, teaching jobs are going to be harder to come by in Arkansas this year. I've taught here for 8 years, and this is the first time I have heard of districts RIFing teachers and not hiring. Usually, jobs are pretty easy to come by here. With that in mind, I would really consider how much you want to teach agriculture. Those jobs are few and far between on a good year. Is it worth it to you to turn down experience?

9. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

May 31, 2012

a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 31, 2012

I thought aggies knew to 'not count your chickens...':lol:

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 31, 2012

I'm looking at the bright side. You may have an opportunity to go for grants and build this program from the ground up. Not many teachers get that opportunity.

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 31, 2012

It might be great experience and you might find that you love building your own program.

13. agriteacher

agriteacher Rookie

May 31, 2012

I think it would be a great experience to build my own program from the ground up. I should also mention that I just graduated last spring and have been subbing up to now so this would be my first year of full time teaching. If I get this offer and don't hear from anything else I'll take the job. They say your first year of teaching is the hardest, so it looks like mine will be true to that.

14. storyh

storyh Companion

Jun 1, 2012

Hello to a fellow Arkansan! Best of luck to you! I am sure you will be a great teacher no matter where you teach!

15. wanting2teach

wanting2teach Rookie

Jun 1, 2012

I would take whatever opportunity presents itself first. Jobs are so scarce that landing a position anywhere would be a great thing!

16. agriteacher

agriteacher Rookie

Jun 1, 2012

The principal called me this morning. I didn't get the position. They decided to give the job to a student who graduated from that school several years ago.

17. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Jun 1, 2012

Sorry to hear about that. I am supposed to hear Monday if I get the job with the only interview I have had in a school for a year.

18. storyh

storyh Companion

Jun 1, 2012

:( Sorry!

19. agriteacher

agriteacher Rookie

Jun 1, 2012

While it was good experience getting an interview, I also feel like I wasted my time and money to go there. I had to take an entire day off work to drive to a school three hours away. I lost an entire days worth of pay and spent about $75 between gas and meals. oh well I guess it happens so i can't really complain.

20. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2012

But its experience, and if you've been sending applications all over the state, you might have to do this again and again until you get a job. If you hadn't gone you might've missed out on an opportunity to get a job. It's hard, because to get a job there are sacrifices that we have to make. But think about how when you have your first full time teaching job...it will be worth it.

21. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 3, 2012

If you have no other opportunities, take it. You can always move on later.

Also, as someone pointed out, you can really be a force in building a new program in this job...there may be pros to it!

22. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 3, 2012

They didn't get the job.