Job Finding Help

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Lounge Fly, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Lounge Fly

Lounge Fly New Member

Aug 15, 2008

Please help! I don't know where else to go to ask such a
    question:
    My girlfriend is job searching for a teaching position,
    specifically ESL ans as you can imagine, it's not going as
    planned. She's interviewed many times but hasn't hit
    anything yet since she is just fresh out of college. She
    obtained her Master's and spent numerous years subbing,
    being a teacher's aide and also helping ESL students.

However all the positions that she keeps applying for, they keep
    hiring those with more experience, which makes sense,
    however it's becoming a bit agitating. How is she supposed
    to get real teaching experience if everyone opts for more
    eperienced teachers? How did those experienced teachers get their first job?

I feel helpless and don't know what I can do to help her.
    She's understandably becoming depressed and feeling
    unwanted. She's definitely perfectly capable of being a
    teacher, so I wanted to ask real teachers any advice that
    may be of use to her when searching for a position. What
    should she do if she isn't able to land a job before the
    school year starts? Do teaching positions still open up
    during the semester? Or is it generally only during winter
    and summer breaks when the hiring processes are held?
    What if she can't find an ESL position? Should she try to be a teacher's aide or substitute? Mind you she would rather not do those again.
    Might it help to mention that we live in the New England area?

Please help us out!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2008

It is understandable that your gf is feeling this way as I believe all of us that are going through this process are feeling the same way. I would suggest that she continue to check for postings, email principals in neighboring school districts where she would want to work letting them know her interest in working for their school, and be patient (I know easier said than done!). Also, schools continue to hire throughout the school year. Enrollment can increase requiring a new classroom, teachers find they can't handle it so feel early in the year, teachers retire, etc.

4. Lounge Fly

Lounge Fly New Member

Aug 15, 2008

Okay, she's doing most of that so that's good, but do you think she should email principals regardless of whether or not they're hiring? Or should it only be for those that are looking for new teachers?

5. smalltowngal

Aug 15, 2008

I personally have emailed principals regardless if they had open positions or not. As schools get closer to starting, enrollment can go up and if she has emailed them then they will have her name. The principals that I have emailed have responded that they don't have any positions at this time but will keep my information for future reference.

6. Lounge Fly

Lounge Fly New Member

Aug 15, 2008

Okay, i will let her know about that suggestion and maybe she'll get somewhere with that. Thanks for the help!
    Is there anything else that you or anyone else can think of to help land a job?

7. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 15, 2008

I'd recommend Long-term sub positions/leave replacements. IN my area, you get paid salary and it counts as teaching experience.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2008

What state are you in?

There are TONS of ESL positions in my area. But, where I am from (MI) they would be impossible since MI has a very low population of ESL people (where in NC there are illegal immigrants everywhere).

9. Shinchan

Shinchan Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

1. Not all ESL students are illegal immigrants or even Hispanic

2. Michigan is in the top 20 states as far as having illegal immigrants according to the Federation for American Immigration Reform

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2008

Um, I did not say that all ESL people are illegal immigrants nor did I say they are Hispanic. In fact, the largest portion of Michigan's immigrants are from the Middle East and are not of Hispanic decent.

Now, if you look at your numbers closely, Michigan has 70,000 illegal aliens while North Carolina has 206,000. That is nearly triple. Hence supporting my statement that there are more non-native English speakers in NC than MI.

11. smalltowngal

Aug 15, 2008

This is about helping a fellow poster on the job hunt. Not try to discredit a poster who is trying to help.

EDIT: giraffe-good for you!

12. Shinchan

Shinchan Rookie

Aug 16, 2008

13. rs08

rs08 Rookie

Sep 27, 2008

She should check out the state prisons in your state. As a 32 year veteran of the NYS prison teacher ranks, I know an ESL teacher, especially if fluent in Spanish, is usually in demand, especially in upstate prisons. And nowadays, there're more female academic teachers working in NYS prisons than there are males.

14. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Sep 27, 2008

Lounge Fly --- Joining this board in hopes of finding help for your gf's job search sure was a nice thing for you to do!

A lot of us are having the exact same problems as your gf is facing. In regards to emailing principals, I would suggest she email as many principals as she can--whether or not they are hiring. I came across one school district where a couple schools had closed and I figured they might need help in keeping the primary grade classes 20 and under. So I emailed ALL the elementary principals in the district. Out of 15 I received 8 responses. A few said they would keep me in mind if any openings occurred, another offered me a different position-only part-time but it was something...so you never know what you'll get!

I would also suggest contacting her previous master/cooperating teachers to see if they have any connections or even professors she had during her time in the credential program. I have contacted my mentor, and one instructor that I found particularly helpful (who is also a mentor) and she has good relationships with a lot of principals at various schools. Basically she should try all her contacts she can, as well as keep searching the job postings...good luck to her!