Job Fairs...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacher16, Feb 25, 2017.

1. teacher16

teacher16 Rookie

Feb 25, 2017

Hello!

My area is starting to have teacher job fairs for the 2017-2018 school year. How long after a job fair do you typically hear if you have a job or not? Thanks!

Leaborb192 likes this.
  3. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Feb 25, 2017

It varies by district.
    I have never been able to land a job from a fair. I have landed several interviews. It took about a week or two to schedule them. I would argue the further out the start of the new year is. The longer it might take. (That was my experience but again it all depends on the districts)

4. teacher16

teacher16 Rookie

Feb 25, 2017

I should’ve added that these job fairs do interviews on the spot and then you wait to hear from them or HR.

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 25, 2017

Totally depends on the fair and the needs of who is there. I know there's a local district fair that offers contracts on the spot. I got my first job from a charter schools job fair 5 years ago, so it worked out very well for me. I talked to someone there, gave them my info, and they contacted me a couple of weeks later for an interview. That school did not even post their jobs online, so I'm very grateful I attended that job fair!

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 25, 2017

For the job fairs I've attended, the "on the spot" interviews are more like screening interviews/first round interviews. If you do well on the screener you'll be contacted for a second interview at the actual school site. I'd honestly be leery of a school handing out contracts at a job fair. I'd make double sure to do your research about the school and their turnover rate in that scenario.

7. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Feb 25, 2017

I don't know of anyone who has gotten a position straight out of a job fair. Additional interviews after said job fair is the norm.

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 25, 2017

I'd say that's usually true, but it also depends on the climate. Districts around me are lowering class sizes while hordes of baby boomers are retiring. They're having trouble filling positions. I've heard of districts around me who offer contracts at job fairs (in very limited quantities), and then those people are later chosen by principals. It's a backwards way of getting good people in a market where they're competing against other districts for the best teachers.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 26, 2017

I was offered a job at a job fair, so it does happen. Be prepared to answer interview questions as you visit with each school. At the fairs I have attended, your answers get a rating. Rate poorly and you're done with that district.

10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Feb 26, 2017

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  11. stormlight

stormlight New Member

Feb 28, 2017

While I have never attended a job fair before, the fairs in the 3 districts around me all say to bring your SS card (proof of hireability docs), license/eligibility letter (new teachers can't get their actual license until they have a job), resumes, and expect to fill out hire on forms that day if they are hired. I do know that even after you are hired, it takes about 2-3 weeks to be cleared after fingerprints and drug tests. I know a few teachers last school went to the new schools job event and none were hired on the spot but all did end up being hired to transfer.

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 2, 2017

The one teaching job fair I attended went so badly, I spent more time commuting to and from it than I did actually talking with people. If the different districts had posted their staffing needs prior to the doors opening, I would have known the one district in my region had no ELA positions. This was probably my own fault for not researching the district's website for their anticipated openings.