Job Fairs?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Sammievhs, May 16, 2012.

1. Sammievhs

Sammievhs New Member

May 16, 2012

Good afternoon!

I am currently relocating from Chicago, IL to Phoenix, AZ in hopes of finding a job. The Chicago market is slim pickings and you are lucky to even get a call back!

So I am visiting this weekend to attend a job fair. I have never been to one before so I am asking for any advice/tips. Including but not limited to; what to bring, what to expect, how to prep in advance...anything would be helpful!

I do have a second interview on Monday for a charter school, which is exciting. But I have been on the job hunt since December of 2010, so I hope that moving across the country will do the trick!

Thank you in advance for any responses!

3. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

May 16, 2012

Is there a list of the school districts that are attending the fair? If so, I'd go through and pick the ones you are most interested in seeing and write personalized cover letters to each of those. Then make a packet for each district including cover letter, credentials, letters of recommendation, and maybe your philosophy of education. I always included a brochure on myself as a teacher as well.

You should dress and prepare as if you are going to a normal interview. You'll probably have several mini interviews while you are there. I'd also suggest that you bring your portfolio. I pulled mine out a few times at a job fair to help me answer questions.

Some districts might be doing nothing more than collecting resumes and some, like I mentioned above, will be holding screening type interviews. Make sure you bring a bunch of extra packets, too with a generic cover letter. That way if the are last minute additions you can still stop there and look prepared.

Good luck!

4. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

May 16, 2012

I don't have job fair or Az specific advice but here is an idea.
    If you will be in town on Friday or Monday, I would also have a pile of cover letters and resumes and hit the pavement. Go to the schools personally and hand them out. Get the most out of your trip.