Job Fairs - ACPs - Beginning to think its not worth it

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by suzerich, Feb 24, 2010.

1. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Feb 24, 2010

This is on a local school district website: "If you are currently accepted in an alternative certification program and have passed your content area test, you are also eligible to attend. However, due to the number of certified, experienced teachers who will likely attend the Job Fair that day, candidates who are currently in an alternative certification program will only meet with a central office administrator and drop off a copy of their resume." I cannot tell you how it felt when I read this. Is it worth going and turning this in? I actually subbed for the district last year, but haven't been able to this year. :woot:

I've been in an Alternative Certification Program since June,2008. At the time, I was very excited and tried to get everything done to get a job for the 2008-2009 school year. Didn't even get a nibble. I thought, ok, I was a little late, I will be able to get a job in the spring job fairs. Went to all of the job fairs within my 30 mile radius of home. The large metroplex job fair was canceled due to swine flu fear. I had one interview over the summer. I didn't get a job, but I've been subbing in a district that hires ACP candidates and their subs. I've interviewed for 2 aide positions. I guess I blew both. I don't know if they'll interview me for any teaching posiitons.

So, I'm wondering if I should just give up. I've passed 4-8 generalist tests, History 8-12 and the PPR EC-12. I was told by a friend who works at the school where I sub that they have tons of certified teacher applications. Why would they pick me over them? I've also wondered if there is any way to transfer what I've done here into a traditional certification program.

Suze

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2010

I think the issue is less "how your got certified" than "inexperienced vs experienced."

I would try for any and all potential openings.

"Is it worth it going and turning it in?"" OR COURSE it's worth it!!! How much effort does it cost? Balance the actual effort vs the potential payoff, and it's always worth it.

4. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Feb 24, 2010

If everyone thinks the way you do, and doesn't go... then you will be that far ahead of those who don't attend! It's better to try, then to wonder if it would have made a difference!

5. ChicagoTeach

ChicagoTeach Rookie

Feb 24, 2010

What have you got to lose? It will give you some face time. And when you meet with the district personnel, be sure to mention that you have subbed in their schools and have been very successful. Face with an application is better than just an application.

6. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Feb 24, 2010

Wow, I can't believe the school district actually put that in writing!

I'm in Texas, too. I have a degree in elementary education so I was certified through the traditional route, but I probably struggled just as much as ACP teachers this past hiring season.

I think some districts "frown" upon ACP and others don't think twice about it. From what I gathered, the DFW is where ACP teachers struggle the most and the Houston area is more open to ACP teachers.

7. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Feb 24, 2010

One of my FB friends is a principal in the district. She has basically told me to get experience in one of the larger districts. I've applied for many positions, aid and teaching and have not received one phone call. I'm Highly Qualified to teach History, and have 2 masters degrees. I've been very surprised to not at least get a phone call.

8. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Feb 24, 2010

What are your exact certifications?

9. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Feb 24, 2010

4-8 Generalist and History 8-12. I never thought I could teach math, but I've subbed a few math classes and I think I would be comfortable up to 5th grade, I would not mind teaching Science, especially Earth Science, or Social Studies. I've subbed from 2-8th, and a few babysitting high school classes (just showed videos, no teaching at all). I can take the Social Studies 8-12 and ESL tests, but I'm not sure I want to put more money into testing right now.

10. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Feb 24, 2010

Unfortunately, it seems that the history and social studies positions go to the coaches. Ugh.

Taking the ESL exam is a pretty much a must. When I graduated and started job searching, all I was ever asked was "Have you taken the ESL exam yet?" I never realized that it would be in such demand. That was two years ago. Also, as I graduated, my univ. started requiring all education majors to take the ESL exam along with their other exams so you need to realize that if my university started doing this, others will follow suit, which means that there will be all that many more candidates with a certification you don't have. I got ESL certified last year before this past hiring season and I'm sure it gave me a leg up on those that didn't have it. I bet I would have received zero interviews if I hadn't became ESL certified. If there's one certification exam you're going to spend money on, it's the ESL.

11. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Feb 24, 2010

I do plan to take the ESL, just waiting on our money situation to get a little better. My husband just got a new job so we will at least have health/dental insurance for the first time in about 3-4 years. I actually like subbing, and its been very good this year. I work usually 2-3 days a week so its still flexible. But, I need the full-time in case something should happen to him, or we have difficulties, which is a big possibility.

12. Delfina

Delfina Rookie

Feb 25, 2010

Definitely go to the job fair. If you don't go then you don't stand a chance at all of getting a job.

I'm in Houston and the school districts seem to be very friendly to ACPs. I have quite a few friends who were hired on through ACPs, particularly the Region IV ACP.

Also, I was told that Social Studies classes tend to go to coaches, too (by my ACP counselor) but I just talked to one of the coaches today (who teaches history, funnily enough) and said that since there's more accountability on Social Studies classes now because of TAKS the trend is shifting.