Job Fair

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by JRafko, Apr 18, 2013.

1. JRafko

JRafko Rookie

Apr 18, 2013

Well I had my job fair and the schools were slightly strange there. Getting into a Michigan interview took at least 45 minutes, and I asked how many openings they anticipated they said one.

The other schools from out-of-state left me baffled sometimes. I interviews with Cumberland County in NC, and wanted me to come home with them yesterday. I walked by and one lady winked at me.
    I interviewed with a school from MD, we did not even have a formal interview but said he put me at the top of the list and when I wanted to come down he would set up an interview.

Other than that, California sounded great and so did the interview. Arizona Schools seem to like me as well. Does anyone know why Arizona has such a great need for teachers?

Overall I have some good leads but few offers. I have a phone interview with Imagine sky from Phoenix, AZ on Friday that I am looking forward to.

3. JRafko

JRafko Rookie

Apr 18, 2013

I interviewed with a man from there and he seemed very interested in me and said he would try and arrange a further interview. I feel like it may just be a very generic act he plays with everyone, because from this forum is seems as though southern Cal is pretty saturated with teachers...as with everywhere else.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2013

What are you certified in?

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2013

Make sure you send out those thank you's if you haven't already. It's still quite early in the season, so don't get frustrated yet. Good luck!

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 19, 2013

Definitely not my part of the Central Valley. Are you talking more about the Bakersfield area? I'm in the northern part of the Central Valley and there are zero jobs here.

7. KateL

KateL Habitué

Apr 19, 2013

I've seen quite a few postings for down here in the south valley.

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 20, 2013

There's a district from California going to out of state job fairs? That's actually incredibly surprising to me. Especially if it's in southern CA.

Maybe the high desert? Hesperia/Victorville area? Or the 29 Palms area? Or the Palm Springs or Palm Desert areas? If it's southern CA it's got to be pretty far east...

9. JRafko

JRafko Rookie

Apr 20, 2013

Yes it is Bakersfield area, I emailed him thanking him. I was very intriguing why they were there as well, especially by the way everyone speaks of southern California on here! He claimed he really liked me, so hopefully I can get something moving with it. For out of state they offer a $2,500 moving allowance. Granted, I have heard some schools of taking the moving allowance out of your salary, and deducting it throughout the year.

I am certified in Earth Science and Biology.

10. blackandgold1

blackandgold1 New Member

May 11, 2013

Arizona is still growing, the pay isn't great, and the working conditions/legal protections for teachers aren't stellar. For a first job, it's not terrible, but there are a number of districts that have frozen step movement and some have frozen lane movement. In two large districts that I know of there have been no salary increases for six years and in one district that I know of there has been no salary increase for five years.