Job Fair tomorrow

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kevmic28, Apr 29, 2013.

1. kevmic28

kevmic28 Companion

Apr 29, 2013

I am headed to my first job fair of the year. This district is expanding in every grade and has at least 50 Elementary openings. So hopefully this will lead to a interview or two. Wish me luck.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2013

Holy cow! 50 openings is a lot!
    Good luck!!

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2013

Wow...good luck!!

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2013

Good luck! :)

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 29, 2013

Seriously! I would be surprised if there were that many openings in my whole state!! (I exaggerate...slightly. ;))

Good luck!! :)

7. kevmic28

kevmic28 Companion

Apr 30, 2013

Ok after counting there were actually 112 k-6 positions in this district. the open positions are only from growth within the district and these positions didnt include people leaving the district or retiring and such.
    They had an invitation only job fair for people who have not been to the district job fair before. So it was all fresh faces. The young people there not dressed in bussiness attire amazed me. I mean really skinny jeans and tennis shoes is not appropriate. Neither are platform stripper shoes.

The fair itself was very interesting. There was a half hour orientaion and check in before the fair. Ec-6 were taken into one room. junior high in another and high school in another room.
    3 Reps from each school were there representing the district. Each applicant had 2 interviews. The first lasted 20 minutes and asked typical questions. The second one was longer and asked harder more in depth questions. Both interviews are scored 1 to 5 and they are averaged and put into a spread sheet for principals to call for interviews.

Now for my experience. The first interview went well. I was able to answer all their questions pretty well. They were interested in my technology programs and the things I use theat they have never heard of.
    The second interview went well too. The principal I interviewed with told me afterwards that at the moment she didnt have a 3rd grade position which is what I teach this year but she has a possible opening and she will be calling me once she knows for sure. She has a teacher interviewing for an AP position so her position is up in the air.

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2013

Sounds like it went well. Good luck!!

9. kevmic28

kevmic28 Companion

May 6, 2013

Thanks,
    My principal told me today she got a reference request from one of the principals from the district that I went to the job fair for. Turns out he was a principal here and knows mine so he emailed her saturday for a reference. So it sounds like I may be getting a call for an interview. :)