Job fair tips?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by otterpop, Apr 6, 2014.

1. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 6, 2014

General question, open to any suggestions...

Any advice for education jobs fairs?

Things to bring, focus on, or do before or after?

Do I need to send thank you notes to the people I talk to?

I'll dress professionally, carry copies of my resume (should I bring a work sample portfolio?), and probably fill out a lot of applications before hand.

3. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Apr 6, 2014

Don't be discouraged if a district doesn't seem to care that you are interested. The first job fair I went to was like that... when I went back to the same one this year it was much better. If you are persistent they'll get the hint!

I've always made a brochure (to highlight experience, strengths, things you've done, etc.) to hand to districts with my resume. I also write a cover letter specifically tailored to each district I'm really interested in.

Definitely send thank you notes or even emails to the people you talk to. Bring little slips of paper to write notes on in case you think you'll forget someone's name.

Most districts will probably tell you to fill out on online application so make a list of those districts so you don't forget.

GOOD LUCK!

4. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Apr 6, 2014

Are they calling this a job fair where they are actually going to have interviews? I just went to one and they called it a "networking expo". A popular local district wasn't even taking our hard worked on papers, just told us to apply when they post (which is soon!)

Other districts were talking more to candidates and taking papers. They told us to have a "60 second commercial" . Be ready for questions about ELL, classroom management, technology use (how do you use it), and why our district?

Always better to be over prepared! Dress nice and be confident!

5. bdd

bdd Rookie

Apr 7, 2014

Bring resumes! Some schools/districts may tell you to apply online, while others may screen resumes and pull selective candidates for further screening interviews. To verify, it might be a good idea to check with the job fair organizer.