Job Fair Season is Here!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by me25, Jan 31, 2009.

1. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 26, 2009

erudite, I was going to suggest checking into the job fairs you're interested in attending/observing because many of the job fairs only admit those that can show proof they're certified, currently in a student teaching semester, or an ACP candidate. It looks though that you started to do your research into it. Bascially, if you're not certified, not currently student teaching, and not interning in your ACP, you won't be admitted to the job fair.

2. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 26, 2009

TxS-I would take a general cover letter if you aren't sure exactly what schools will be there. In the cover letter and when you talk to reps from each school, then you can let them know that you are interested in a position from XX to YY.

3. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 26, 2009

I'll tell you what the woman from my university career center told US (and this is a woman who PLANS and ORGANIZES a number of job fairs a year).

PAPER CLIP! (Why? I wasn't sure- it didn't make sense...but what DID come across was her insistance on paper clips!)

(Some in line had fancy-shamancy clips... I'm not sure that did anything for them...but hey)

BUT... make sure that your second page of your resume has

TxSandMom.............................................................page 2
    (phone)
    (email address)

(without the dots!) In case, by some chance the two papers come unclipped

But about the stapler and the clips? no. I would simply have them clipped and ready to go...it avoids fumbling

You want to look pulled together!

And again... your time will be VERY limited!

4. erudite

erudite Rookie

Mar 26, 2009

Thanks for your advice emmakate218!

Actually here's my advice for those who don't have any connections to schools (like me)....dig up your old school teachers and principals and e-mail them for some feedback. I just did that, I looked up my former elementary principal, and e-mail her my questions. Even though I am ec-4 and she is a high school principal she asked me to come visit her next week. I know finding a job with her is slim, but who knows it is a good start.

5. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Mar 27, 2009

OK, so I was spending too much time on the paper clip vs. staple thing and I called HR and asked them! HA!! Yes, I did. I called with a few other questions and slipped that one in and they said to USE A STAPLE! So, I will.

McKenna - good idea about what is on the top of the 2nd page but I read it too late... wah... I just have my name and "page 2" in the top right corner. Oh, well.

STG - about the general cover letter stating that I am willing to take a job from xy to z, doesn't that sound too... well... desperate?

If anyone can help me word this, I'd appreciate it: "I'm interested in either an elementary position or a middle school reading position with your district." Unless that is good enough. Right now, it's less then 24 hours away and I have no cover letter.

6. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2009

Short and to the POINT!
    In less than 24 hours away, you need to relax. You'll do fine!:)
    Don't let them see you sweat. If your resume is GREAT and lets them know WHO YOU ARE AND what you can do that can help them,:cool:then you are fine. Anymore changes will just make you more nervous.
    Good luck,
    Rebel1

7. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Mar 27, 2009

Rebel - keep those great words of encouragement coming! I just posted my cover letter on another thread. Since I'm doing a district / screening job fair... who would I write the cover letter to? I heard we can leave packets for principals there. Should I just write out a bunch of letters addressed to all the principals at the schools I'm most interested in? I mean, I would address them to EACH, not ALL. In other words, I would have 12 letters... each addressed to a different principal.

8. newteacher08

newteacher08 Companion

Mar 27, 2009

:blush: I am going to my very FIRST job fair tomorrow! :blush:

I have spent 2 days getting everything together and looking at interview questions so I feel pretty good but I am still nervous because this is something brand new to me.....it is not one I will have to wait in lines for though (only 1 line) I have 3 interviews scheduled!

:eek: Hope it goes wonderful and I land a job! (I have to think positive right?!?!)

9. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 27, 2009

Keep in mind...it's the RARE person who walks out of a job fair with a job. And even rarer with a contract.

Often times they are just a spring board... good comments written on your resume, an invitation to interview for real at the school.

Job Fairs are different in different areas....but don't go in with TOO HIGH of expectations..you don't want to come home disappointed.

It's experience. It's Networking. It's introducing yourself. It's getting to know the lay of the land!

10. newteacher08

newteacher08 Companion

Mar 27, 2009

I know that I am just trying to PUMP myself up! :lol: So I don't get too nervous!

Although my sister-in-law did land a job offer and contract at her second job fair right after graduating!

11. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2009

newteacher08, I knew a couple people who went to a job fair and received a job with the school they interviewed with, a week or so after the job fair interview. So, it's possible.

I have my first job fair of the season tomorrow and I expect the same as what I experienced last year. Long lines and simply a chance to maybe catch the eye of an admin.

12. smalltowngal

Mar 27, 2009

Good luck, emma!

13. newteacher08

newteacher08 Companion

Mar 27, 2009

At a job fair ~ if they ask "Tell me a little about yourself?" when you first meet them do you usually tell them about yourself personally or professionally?

14. smalltowngal

Mar 27, 2009

I would say a little of both newteacher. If you can mix your personal life with your professional life.

15. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2009

newteacher08, I absolutely hate that question! It's like torture to answer it. Since I have a job fair tomorrow, I'm rehersing in my head what I'll say when I first meet the principal, ap, or whatever representative is at the job fair. I still don't know exactly what to say. Ugh.

16. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2009

Thanks, stg! Positive thoughts, positive thoughts. Right? :mellow:

17. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2009

Good luck emma and newteacher! And that is the worst questions! Even if I think I have a good answer for it I'm never sure if they want a overview of my resume or some interesting information about myself.

18. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 27, 2009

Either/BOTH.... but EVERYTHING you say in those few minutes...MAKE SURE it relates to what you can contribute to their district and their students!

(but avoid starting with "I was born...":lol: )

19. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 27, 2009

And btw... it's an ever-changing answer. i thought I had a GREAT beginning sentence this year,,, and it went over like a lead balloon at a few job fair tables. so it was trashed.

.....haven't found the miracle sentences yet. (I wonder if administrators dread the answering of that question as much as WE do!?!?!)

20. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2009

I think they dread it too.