Job Fair Season is Here!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by me25, Jan 31, 2009.

1. me25

me25 Rookie

Jan 31, 2009

Just got back from my second job fair so far this year. Only three more job fairs left to go :cool:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2009

How did it go?

Can you give any practical hints to the others here who will be attending one soon?

(Oh, and welcome!!!)

4. palla

palla Companion

Jan 31, 2009

Yep, job fair time. I have my first next weekend, but I am not really interested in the schools that will be there. There is only one school there that is close enough for me to consider, but I plan to go just to figure out what to expect. I am very interested in a district that has a job fair the following week, and I want to go to one dress rehersal before my "opening day" job fair.

So how did the job fairs go?

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2009

There really aren't any job fairs around here. Just one main one. And there are hundreds of districts there, but I'm only interested in 5 districts.

6. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jan 31, 2009

I'm making a list tomorrow of all the job fairs I want to attend and all of the ones I CAN attend. Many are out of state.

7. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jan 31, 2009

Our job fairs don't start for another month or so. Although I had to pre register for one not long ago. But you had up until the day before to preregister and it's not until the end of March.

8. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Jan 31, 2009

Yes, can someone give pointers or tell just what to expect??

I have one out of state and one in state to attend....

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jan 31, 2009

-GET there very early! It is better to go scout the place before the actual day SO you have an idea where it is, to avoid getting lost, and to ease the anxiety about how to get there.
    -Make sure your resume is appealing and can sell you in 30 seconds.
    -Expect some interviews the same day IF you catch someone's eye.
    -DRESS to IMPRESS!
    -Work on NETWORKING while you are there! Talk to all the different people who are in line with you. They might have left a job that they hated, AND it might be a match for you!?!
    -Look INTERESTED and don't :angel:COMPLAIN out loud about what is going on around you. YOU are there for YOU and all the people in line with you, ARE YOUR COMPETITORS! :eek:
    -In case a recruiter talks to you, MAKE SURE YOU SAY WHAT CAN SELL YOU IN 20-30 SECONDS or you can forget it! The guys told us to practice this 30 second OR less script, over and over so you can quote it with ease, and not sound like it's a rehearsed one.:cool:
    This last one I got from a RESUME workshop I attended.
    Good luck,:thumb:
    Rebel1

10. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Jan 31, 2009

Thanks for all the tips. My first job fair is almost a month away!

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2009

I've never been to one, but let me add what I've learned from other posts on the subject:

- Comfortable professional shoes are a must. You'll be on your feet all day, but still want to give that great impression. That ties into the "dress to impress" point Rebel made. Set yourself apart from the pack by dressing as a professional.

- Do your homework ahead of time. Know the districts and a bit about each one ( a cheat sheet is fine; scan it while you're on line.) The question "Why do you want to work for US?" should have an answer that relates to THAT district; it's different from "Why do you want to teach?"

-More homework: Know which districts you want to get to first. Be there early so that you are one of the first people at your first choice... know where they are located at the fair. Your being there early will speak volumes about the fact that this district is a top choice for you.

-Some people have mentioned making a brochure that highlights their potential contributions to the district. I know nothing about this, but the idea intrigues me.

- Have a professional looking portfolio or something similar in which to hold your resumes.

- If possible, get a card (or at least the name) from the person you speak to. Then send a followup thank you note. It couldn't hurt!!

12. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Feb 2, 2009

:cool: When I get anymore info this Thurs., I'll key them in by the weekend.
    Good luck and remember, "Don't let them see you sweat!":D
    Rebel1

13. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Feb 3, 2009

Palla,

What job fair are you talking about? I am in GA too and will be attending some of the upcoming job fairs.

14. palla

palla Companion

Feb 3, 2009

There is a job fair this weekend at the Cobb Galleria. It is for the Georgia Independent School Association. I have to verify which schools will be present. From the list I saw, it looks like the schools are not close enough for me to drive to.

Gwinnett has their job fair at the end of the month. They have a big district (largest in the state), so they might have some openings.

15. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Feb 3, 2009

I am about an hour north of Gwinett so I definitely won't be able to drive there. I am attending the Clark Atlanta University Job Fair on the 21rst though. I would love to teach in the county I live in but they are on a hiring freeze and have actually already told some of their first year teachers from this year that their contracts will not be renewed. I am just hoping to find something close since I have a child in Kindergarten.

16. palla

palla Companion

Feb 4, 2009

I think most of the state is in a hiring freeze right now. My county isn't hiring. Clark is in ATL, right? That is a good drive if you are already north of Gwinnett. Do you know what schools/districts will be there?

I don't mean to be picky, but I can't drive an hour each way just to get to school. Going into ATL isn't an option for me every day. That is the problem with Fulton County. It covers such a big area. I could do north Fulton, but there is no way I could do south Fulton.

17. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Feb 4, 2009

I don't think you are being picky about the drive. I am only interested in two or three counties that are going to be there. They will have their own job fairs but this one is before that so I thought it would be best for me to go to it. I copied the school districts that will be there from their website. Yes, it is in Atlanta.

Atlanta Public Schools
    Barrow County
    Bibb County School Dist
    Board of Education of Baltimore County
    Brevard Public Schools
    Carroll County Public Schools
    Charleston County Schl District
    Charlottesville City Public Schools
    Chicago Public Schools
    Clarke County School District
    Clayton County Public
    Coffee Co. B.O.E
    Compton Unified School District
    Coweta County School
    Dalton Public Schools
    Dekalb County Schools
    Dougherty County School System
    Dupage High School District
    Duval County Public
    Ector County ISD
    Fort Bend ISD
    Fulton County Schools
    Garland Independent School District
    Griffin-Spalding County
    Hampton City Schools
    Hart County BOE
    Henry County Schools
    Knox County Tennessee
    Laurens Co BOE
    Liberty County Board
    Marietta City Schools
    McDuffie County School Dist
    Metro Nashville Public Schools
    Moore County Schools
    Muscogee County Schools
    Opelika City Schools
    Palm Beach County Schools
    Richardson Independent School District
    Rome Board of Education
    City of Savannah & The County of Chatham
    Shelby County School
    Spring ISD
    Stafford Co. PS
    St. Charles Parrish
    S.W. Georgia RESA
    TEACH Georgia
    Troy School District
    Wake County Public School System
    Walton County
    Waterloo Community

18. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Feb 5, 2009

North Carolina Job fairs

From what I've seen in several threads there is quite a bit of interest in North Carolina teaching jobs. I'm also looking there and found some job fairs for districts not represented at the larger fairs in Raleigh or Wilmington. I thought I'd share them for those who might be interested.

Carteret County Schools-April 27th
    http://www.carteretcountyschools.org/hr/

Cumberland County Schools-April 4th
    http://www.hr.ccs.k12.nc.us/hr_CCSJobFair.htm

Onslow County Schools-June 6th
    http://onslowcounty.schoolinsites.com/Download.asp?L=1&LMID=&PN=DocumentUploads&DivisionID=2540&DepartmentID=&SubDepartmentID=&SubP=&Act=Download&T=1&I=25658

Moore County Schools' Teacher Job Fair-March 21
    Sent via Teachers-Teachers.com-This one is involved. If you want more information PM me and I can forward the email to whomever asks.

Here is a map of the different districts in NC. If you click on the counties it takes you to that districts homepage.
    https://schooljobs.dpi.state.nc.us/hrms/HRMSHome.Nsf/StateMap?OpenForm

19. areynolds

areynolds Rookie

Feb 17, 2009

Does anyone in the Atlanta area have any updates on hiring freezes or cut backs? I work in Clayton Co. I teach Spec Ed. I know we are having major cut backs and larger class sizes, what about other counties, any input? I wanted to change schools but with all of the cut backs, I am kind of afraid to move. I am certified and teach Spec Ed, so maybe that is a plus, but still. I have been at my same school for five year and I am burnt out as I can be!!! I should have left years ago. I did not and now I feel stuck!! This sucks!!

20. palla

palla Companion

Feb 17, 2009

I don't know about south Atlanta, but many counties in general are in a hiring freeze. I am sure they will end up hiring a few as they find out who isn't returning, but the job offerings will probably be slim compared to past years.

21. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Feb 24, 2009

Hey Palla.
    I just wanted to see how the job fair went for you. I had a screening interview at my first one, but they don't know what positions they will have yet since contracts hadn't been sent out yet. I am going to three this weekend and hope to get hired somewhere. They are doing interviews at all three so wish me luck!

22. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Feb 25, 2009

I know they cancelled our job fair here in Orange County last year...something tells me they probably won't be having one this year either.

Good luck to everyone who is attending one! Go get that teaching job you want!!! :)

23. palla

palla Companion

Feb 25, 2009

Hi Mom2Alex,

Thanks for asking. The job fair was cancelled, so I haven't done much. I did submit my application through the online system, but that is it. I thought about sending a copy of my resume to the principals in the district, but if they aren't hiring, they aren't hiring, and I am not sure if the email would be taken the right way.

Good luck at the job fairs this weekend! Knock 'em dead!!! And please let me know how it goes.

~palla

24. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Feb 25, 2009

I am sorry to hear that. It seems like more and more districts are cancelling their job fairs. Thanks for the well wishes for this weekend. Are there any other systems you are considering?

25. me25

me25 Rookie

Mar 4, 2009

So I have only one more job fair to go to this season on Saturday. Then I would have done four this year. Crossing my fingers, and toes!
    I hope everyone is having a great time at their job fairs.

26. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Mar 22, 2009

Pushed this UP for BIOTEACHNJ.:)
    It beats trying to repeat myself.
    Enjoy,
    Rebel1

27. jspader02

jspader02 Rookie

Mar 22, 2009

4 job fairs were cancelled in my area and combined into a "virtual job fair"

sadness :(

28. bioteachnj

bioteachnj Rookie

Mar 23, 2009

Haha thanks Rebel1, I feel so special!

There is a math/science job fair I may go to this coming weekend, how many resume copies should I bring? I'm thinking 10? There is also no list of schools, only the regions they are coming from. What do you do upon arrival in a situation like this? I feel like so much time will be used just walking around and figuring out where the school districts by me have their tables set up (if they are even there).

Dress is business casual. I'm thinking of wearing charcoal gray dress pants, flat dressy loafers (comfy), blouse, and sweater/blazer. Does that sound appropriate? If its cold I have a charcoal trench pea coat but then I'm stuck carrying it around... Ugh I hate this time of year.

I also need to think up my 30 second sales speech. Should I do a brochure too?

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2009

Don't wait for a job fair or a job posting to send your stuff out!!!

Send it EVERYWHERE, whether they're hiring at the moment or not.

And bioteach, why limit yourself to 10 resumes? I would bring a hundred, and pass them out to anyone who would take one.

What do you have to lose by being overprepared??? Do a brochure, dress as a professional, get there early-- do every and anything you can think of that will give you an advantage over those too lazy or unimaginative to do so.

30. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2009

I agree with Alice...get there early, be prepared for waiting around, remember to smile, have lots of resumes and brochures...you can do it!

31. erudite

erudite Rookie

Mar 23, 2009

Hi all,

Just wondering, there are a lot of job fairs coming up should I come to these job fairs even though I am finishing my student teaching in the Fall? Or do I wait till January '10? Thanks!

32. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2009

Go.

At the very least, get a feel for how the fairs operate, speak to some of the people (hiring or not) about what they look for in a candidate, and brush up on your interview skills.

What do you have to lose?

33. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 23, 2009

I'm getting prepared for a the one job fair that I'm going to. (I'm applying out of state, and I can only make the flight for one.) I'm going to have lots of copies of my brochure, and resume. Do you put them in a folder, I went and all the nice folders have the business card section and I don't really want to make one. Do you have to have it in a folder?

34. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2009

No, mego, you don't have to have business cards, but it does look professional if you do. You can get them made for free through Vista Print and just pay for shipping and handling. I got compliments on mine :) Now I give them out at Back to School night, and parents love them!

I only gave out the folders to the districts I was most interested in because it was expensive for the folders. But in those I also included my 3 letters of rec, transcript, and praxis scores. :) Oh, the good ol' days when I was brave and confident! lol

35. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2009

Definitely go...if nothing else, you may stick out in the minds of the admin who will need you for a LTS position after you graduate! Do everything you should- bring copies of your resume, dress professionally, and send thank yous!

36. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 24, 2009

Ok thanks for the help on the folders. Do you just hand them the stuff loose or do you paper clip it. I will have a resume, cover letter, and brochure.

37. erudite

erudite Rookie

Mar 24, 2009

Thanks for your advice, I would definitely consider.

38. erudite

erudite Rookie

Mar 24, 2009

I have a question, can somebody explain what the school means by their guidelines of attending the job fair....

"Currently completing an alternative certification internship year and eligible for a standard certificate."

So does this mean the applicant is currently finishing an alternative teaching program and is able to obtain a certificate?

Little confused...what about those that are in the University programs?

Thank you all!!!

39. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2009

It could be that this particular job fair is just for those that are going through an alternative certification.

40. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Mar 24, 2009

NOW! You better feel special! You TEACH!
    The other posters liked the brochure idea that was shared. DO IT!
    Your 20-30 second sales pitch should include the following;
    Hi! I'm __________________________:D
    I am a ____________________________:)
    What I do best is/are__________________________:love:
    I am looking for a position in_______________________:cool:
    These were some of the guidelines that the RESUME workshop people told us.
    Work it girl,
    Rebel1

41. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Mar 26, 2009

District Job Fair

The more I read, the more nervous I get. I have a job fair to attend. It is a district one.

I plan to bring my resume and transcripts. I don't think I can bring a cover letter b/c I THINK there will be several schools there and I am really interested in ANYTHING I CAN GET (okay, not REALLY, but pretty close).

How can I word this when I interview with the screening committee? I am willing to take any elementary position, OR a middle school reading position.

I am also planning on bringing a small supply of paper clips and a mini stapler b/c my resume is 2 pages long and it's making me nervous to read that a staple or a paper clip is a big deal and I will just ask the person, "Would you prefer I staple that or use a paper clip?" - that way, I'll do it RIGHT!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009