Job Fair/Search Advice

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mrsbella, Apr 17, 2013.

1. mrsbella

mrsbella New Member

Apr 17, 2013

I recently moved to Texas due to my husband landing a job here. I completed my certification program in Ohio and currently hold an Elementary license. I'm in the process of having my Ohio certification reviewed by the SBEC in hopes to land a job for the 13-14 school year in North Texas. I'm currently subbing in one of the districts in North Texas and plan to attend the big job fair in Arlington on May 13. I've never been to a job fair for teachers and the only teaching interview I have had was a mock interview with the Principal at my host school during student teaching. Do I need to bring "official" transcripts or can I make copies of the official transcripts to hand to school districts? What else should I bring besides copies of my resume and transcripts? Any advice about job searching in North Texas and the job fair would be much appreciated!

Thanks!:)

3. kevmic28

kevmic28 Companion

Apr 19, 2013

I dont have any advice for yah but Ill be at that fair too. Im trying to move back to the metroplex.

4. JRafko

JRafko Rookie

Apr 20, 2013

At my job fair last week I handed out MANY (about 18 resume's) a couple teaching certificates, and that was it. It is mostly specific to the job fair and school I am sure. I brought my Unit, weekly lesson plans, transcripts, teacher cert, business cards, letters of rec, and student work.
    For the most part, many schools advocated for their online application process and that was it. Of course it can be different down in Texas.

5. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Apr 20, 2013

I'm sure the Job Fair has a website; read it over closely.

I just attended a job fair in the Midwest and NO local districts arranged on-site interviews for anyone that hadn't already filled out their online application and had already submitted their credentials/supporting materials.

I would bring: individualized cover letter for your top 5-10 districts that will be attending the fair.

I would NOT bring a generic cover letter for your non-top choices as it just reeks of not caring, in my opinion, and they will see right through it.

Bring enough resumes and reference letters to hand to all districts you're potentially interested in. Staple them so you can get them out quickly.

Unless you're interviewing on-site job fairs are really generic. I guess you could over prepare and bring lesson plans and stuff, but most districts are just going to have a generic discussion to weed out the obviously bad candidates (which reminds me...chick with her hair dyed blue, guy with a mohawk, and all the women leaving that nose piercing in - thank you for automatically disqualifying yourselves. :) )

6. kevmic28

kevmic28 Companion

Apr 22, 2013

MrsBella,
    Did you get any sort of confirmation for the job fair when you filled out the questionare for the job fair?

7. mrsbella

mrsbella New Member

May 6, 2013

I didn't get a confirmation. It just said "Your survey is complete". Thanks for the input all!!:)