Job Fair Report and random job seeking thoughts

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by hulagirl, Jun 9, 2008.

1. hulagirl

hulagirl Rookie

Jun 9, 2008

Today I went to a job fair in my area. I was the first one there and I was a little surprised at the turnout. I expected there to be more applicants given the competitive job market. I don't know. The majority of those in attendance appeared to be ACP candidates. Anyway, I didn't have much luck, an hr person places a sticker with a 1:00 interview time on my packet and then says something to this effect as he is literally peeling the sticker off my packet "Oh this ends (job fair) at 1:00 and I have to give this interviewer a lunch break, please be sure and email the P about this job."

Ladies, timing is everything. ;) The first job fair I went to was a local district fair and while I made it through two screening interviews and was waiting to meet with the P and team leader, the second screener comes over and apologizes to me and lets me know they have hired the teacher in front of me. I didn't even get to plead my case, so to speak. I kick myself for not getting in line at that particular schools' table first.

Thanks to everyone here on this forum for helping. Seriously, I was beginning to think it was me until I hand delivered my packet to a principal that told me the open position had been filled (another posting after the actual hiring) but she would be happy to put mine with the others and pointed to a chair. And this is where it becomes painfully clear what I am up against. In the chair is a filing cardboard box, faux woodgrain kind. It is stuffed to the point the P is going to need a second box to accomodate the pile on top of the ones stuffed in the box. Do you think they(P's) are really working from this pile? I guess I should have told her not to put my resume in that box, but in her desk. A little to cheeky I suppose.

And now for some unsolicited advice for 1st year teachers. I think it couldn't hurt to point out to the P or HR person that you are a less expensive option. My first teaching job was obtained in that way. The job posting actually said 1st year teachers only. It was how they were managing their budget.

I am sorry for the long post and my pitiful perspective. Teaching is great! Looking for a teaching job, not so much:rolleyes: So what is needed is a trip to the mountains to get my universe aligned, but I will be taking the laptop so I can keep trying :2up:

Hulagirl and occasional mountain girl

3. vjainpee

vjainpee New Member

Jun 10, 2008

Should I leave industry and join Teaching

HI all
    I m M.Tech in Electrical Engg and currently working in IT industry with 2 years of experience , but I m not liking my job , I m getting greate offers in teaching
    should I leave my job & join teaching.(my current job is not good)

Please guied me.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2008

This needs to be in a separate thread.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2008

hulagirl-I'm sorry about your experience. Unfortunately, this is more common than any of us really realize. That perfect job is out there for each of us. We just have to be patient in waiting for it.

6. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Jun 10, 2008

hulagirl- I went to a job fair today similar to that one. The HR person came into the cafeteria and talked about how we were going to get signed up for interviews and they were going to be offering jobs right on the spot blah blah blah...so we all got excited. I went to the four bilingual elem schools because that's what I want to teach and all said..."Oh, we don't have any positions open right now but we'll hold your resume..." Ummm, okay...meanwhile, discouragement is setting in...

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 10, 2008

I can't imagine the fear and heartbreak you must have felt when you saw the box of resumes. Wishing you better luck next time - you still have the whole summer!! :hugs: