Job fair question...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nayelismom, Jun 1, 2008.

1. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Jun 1, 2008

I'm going to a district job fair and I have a question about the cover letter. Do you address cover letters for each principal of each elementary school or do you have one general one? I'm thinking of addressing them to each principal but then I wonder if I actually have to make each one unique or if I can just use the same for all.

What would you do? :confused:

3. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 1, 2008

I went to one in April. I knew who I was interviewing with so I made up letters addressed "To Whom It May Concern" but wrote that I wanted to join their district.

If you know that the principal will be there for a fact, address it to him/her. If not I would address to the school/district.

I made up generic ones in case a corp. was there that I didn't know was going to be there.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2008

I would go with generic. They know you're at a job fair and not at an individualized interview which you could have prepared for.

If you want to post your resume and cover letter here, I'm sure you'd get some great feedback.

:)

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 1, 2008

If you know which schools you're most interested in I'd try to personalize them if you have time. Obviously, as Cassie pointed out, the schools probably aren't expecting individualized cover letters.

Since I was new to the area and didn't know the schools when I first started 'jobfairing', I didn't personalize any letters. I got a few interviews no problem.

Good luck!

6. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jun 1, 2008

I know at the job fair I got hired at there were over 100 schools, so I just did a general letter.

Kelly :)

7. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Jun 1, 2008

Okay, so I'm going to add my resume and cover letter as requested above. Please critique...but let me give you some background.

When I started Kindergarten, I only spoke Spanish. I went to an elementary school on a military base where there were no bilingual education programs. So basically I was immersed into an English classroom. What I'm trying to bring out in this cover letter is that I may not have the entire educational background in bilingual education but that my experience would be more life experiences. Also, I did start out my college career as a bilingual elem school major so I do have a few courses in education and I don't know if I should add it to my resume and if so, how would I incorporate that?

Cover letter---Help me on this one

To Whom It May Concern,
    Please accept my application for the bilingual elementary school teacher position as posted online for the 2008-2009 school year. I consider myself a self-motivated individual with strong planning, organizational, and leadership skills. Based on my experience in both public service and in early childhood education, I feel that I am able to maintain excellent relations with students, parents, faculty and administrators. As an articulate communicator, I am able to effectively interact with a diverse population.

I strongly believe that an education is the key to unlocking opportunities that would otherwise be unattainable. I understand the educational and social struggles of students whose primary language is not English because I began my own educational experience immersed in a curriculum where my primary language was not used.

I’d like the opportunity to tell you more about my work experience and how my intense passion for education based on my own experiences could benefit the students, school, and district. I’d be happy to supply strong references regarding my work ethic and positive attitude at your request.

I look forward to discussing the position with you.

Resume-

Objective
    A career as a bilingual elementary school teacher.

Relevant Experience
    08/2000-05/2001 Country Home Learning Center
    11909 Toepperwein Rd, San Antonio TX
    (210) 650-3115
    Afternoon Teacher

I organized a monthly schedule of activities for the two year old children which included language development, number concepts, science, social studies, creative arts and dramatic activities which was submitted to the curriculum coordinator for approval. I coordinated engaging and age appropriate activities for the children and assisted them in completing the assignment successfully.

08/1998-05/1999 Christian Heritage Daycare Center
    16316 San Pedro Ave, San Antonio TX
    (210) 496-1644
    Afternoon Teacher

I maintained an orderly yet loving environment for three and four year old children by organizing various educational and exciting activities. The activities included social studies, creative arts, manipulatives and letter and number concepts.

Other Experience
    06/2004-current Social Security Administration
    5829 Ave 65 Infanteria, Carolina PR
    (787) 752-6445
    I assist the general public under the guidance of the law and policies of the Social Security Act as enacted by Congress. I process changes in benefits, assist with any problems or interruption in benefits, and give information about the various Social Security programs. I am responsible for researching and understanding all new policies and laws that are implemented in order to better assist the public.

Education

Texas Teachers Alternative Certification Program
    TExES 101- Generalist EC-4 Passed
    TExES 102- Bilingual Ed Supplemental EC-4 Passed

University of Texas- San Antonio
    Bachelor of the Arts
    Major- Criminal Justice GPA- 3.42

References Available Upon Request

8. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Jun 1, 2008

Okay, I did a little editing of my cover letter already...help me out. First screening on Tues and job fair on Friday...

To Whom It May Concern,

Please accept my application for the bilingual elementary school teacher position as posted online for the 2008-2009 school year. I’d like the opportunity to tell you more about my work experience and how my intense passion for education based on my own experiences could benefit the students, school, and district.

I consider myself a self-motivated individual with strong planning, organizational, and leadership skills. Based on my experience in both public service and in early childhood education, I feel that I am able to maintain excellent relations with students, parents, faculty and administrators in order to effectively meet or better yet, exceed, the educational standards of the school, district, and the State of Texas. As an articulate communicator, I am able to effectively interact with a diverse population in order to bring about understanding.

I strongly believe that an education is the key to unlocking opportunities that would otherwise be unattainable. I understand the educational and social struggles of students whose primary language is not English because I began my own educational experience immersed in a curriculum where my primary language was not used. I believe that because of my personal experience, I will be able to guide these students through these hurdles effectively and efficiently.

I’d be happy to supply strong references regarding my work ethic and positive attitude at your request.

I look forward to discussing the position with you.

Sincerely,

Me me

9. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 2, 2008

Your letter grab my attention and is very well written. Though, I'm wondering if you should be a bit more specific in your 2nd paragraph? Touch upon some specific experience or training that will get them interested in looking at your resume.

Also, on your 1st paragraph maybe you could start with something like - I am currently seeking full time employment as a bilingual elementary teacher for the 2008-2009 school year.

Your third paragraph is great! Sounds like you are talking about me!

In any case, I'm no expert. I always struggle with letters so I'm always looking for advice.

Good luck on your job fair.

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 2, 2008

I had a list of the school that would be at the job fair. I knew they would each have a table. I customized each coverletter. By customized I simply mean I changed out the principal and school name for each one. I then put them (my packets) in alphabetical order by school in my bag so I could easily find them. I had a few comments that sounded pleased I had addressed it to a real person. I did not bring any generic which was a mistake. So do make some generic packets as well.

EDIT: I only chose 14 to visit so this was easily done. If you have 100 just go generic

11. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 2, 2008

I love it except for the last two sentences. You should ask for an interview.

Super job!!