Job fair question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bewlove, Mar 21, 2015.

1. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Mar 21, 2015

Hey, everyone! I am a first year teacher, and things have been going pretty great! I love my school so much, but I have been considering applying for some closer schools next year (I currently commute an hour each way and my husband and I don't want to move to that district). Anyway, the city I currently live in is great, and they are opening a new elementary school where they will be hiring 50+ employees. They are holding a job fair this Tuesday because this district is on spring break, but my district still has school this week. I am already missing Friday for a doctor appointment, so I don't want to take off on Tuesday. I hate missing work and we are preparing for our state test. My question is, how detrimental do you think it will be for me not to attend the job fair for this new elementary school? I was planning on emailing that P and saying that I am very interested, etc. but that school was in session for me and I couldn't make it to the job fair. I also thought about saying I would be happy to come drop off my resume and portfolio/meet with her at any time/ etc. I am scared it will look bad to put my current school first, but isn't there something to be said about going to work and not missing half a day? I would hope the "principal" in her could appreciate that.

3. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Mar 21, 2015

That's a tough one. I would go honestly. They are probably going to get so many qualified people coming through, and might even interview on the spot.

Your only safe bet is if they don't like many of the candidates and then they are willing to look at your resume.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 21, 2015

If you want a job in the district, you need to go to the job fair. If it's anything like other job fairs I've seen before, they are going to walk out of there with several candidates already offered positions.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Mar 21, 2015

I agree with the others. You need to take the day off and go to the job fair. Missing two days in one week is not a big deal, especially when you have something as important as a job fair to attend. It's noble that you don't want to miss an extra day and that you want to be there to prepare your students for their test, but they will get by without you for a day. I recently accepted a new position for next year, and this has been my motto for the job search all along. Something might have to give, but it's not going to be my own professional future.