job fair for career changer?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Switch, May 10, 2015.

1. Switch

Switch Rookie

May 10, 2015

I am hoping to become a teacher in Florida and have begun the process by passing my subject area exam and getting all my SOE letters. I have updated my resume, made a teacher's brochure for the job fair, and have been preparing like crazy for possible questions. I have also been accepted at an EPI program. Here is my question...everyone I have spoken to from the district is strongly encouraging me to attend the job fair, even without teaching experience making it seem like there is a possibility to get a job. If that does happen I will quit the EPI and go through the districts alternative certification program because it is cheaper. I don't feel like there really is any chance and I'm concerned about going to an interview where I will be expected to give a demo lesson. I have been preparing for that possibility. Is it likely I will be asked to do that in an interview as a career changer?

3. JJdog

JJdog Rookie

May 10, 2015

You should for sure go to the job fair.

Some schools do hiring on the spot at the fair itself (in which case there would not be a demo lesson).

Some schools at the fair will schedule interviews for later during the week at the school (which may or may not include a demo lesson).

Either way, you would/will get some kind of warning ahead of time. You are not going to be expected to perform a demo lesson at the fair or anything.

The #1 thing you must do is continue to prepare interview answers and make sure you have your "intro" answer down pat (when they say "tell me a little bit about yourself"). Make sure it is good and make sure it includes a compelling reason why you have decided to go into teaching. :)

Good luck. Go to the job fair!!!!!!

ETA: If a school is doing demo lessons as part if its hiring process, you will be asked to do one regardless of whether you are a new teacher (i.e. career changer) or not.

4. Switch

Switch Rookie

May 11, 2015

Thank you so much! I'm feeling a little intimidated by the whole thing. I think that's great advice getting the introduction down at the very least. I've been researching a lot about each school and today spent time looking at the districts evaluation rubrics for how they measure effective teachers...I figure that will cover the major points but my own introduction is actually important. Duh! I don't want to forget my own name or get emotional! I just want to remain genuine. I've been answering questions out loud everywhere I go. I even had some guy make fun of me for talking to myself in the car. Charming! It's where I do my best thinking!