job fair and other questions

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by wannateachintx, Mar 30, 2007.

1. wannateachintx

wannateachintx Rookie

Mar 30, 2007

I am attending a job fair on Wednesday and have some questions.

1. What is the appropriate attire to wear?

2. What should I bring to the job fair? I was thinking about bringing lots of copies of my resume but not sure what else.

3. Any ideas or suggestions from those who have been to a job fair?

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Mar 30, 2007

1. Dress as if you were going to a job interview. Suit, skirt, blouse, nice - but comfortable- shoes, etc.

2. If any participating districts have job openings already posted, bring your completed applications to turn in. Bring a notepad and pen. Bring questions to ask that show you have done you homework on the districts.

3. Job fairs can be rough. Be prepared to stand in long, slow-moving lines. Get there as early as you can and head straight for your top districts. As soon as you step away from a booth, write down the name of the person to whom you spoke, their job title, and what you talked about. That way when you follow up, you can personalize your letter.

Good luck!

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 30, 2007

Erin said EXACTLY what I was going to say.

But I'd add... bring some sort of bag/briefcase/etc to hold all the "stuff" you're certain to obtain... brochures, giveaways... pens, pencils, magnets, I got a t-shirt one time...

I took my protfolio the last 2 that I went to... I used it to answer questions, but the interviews are so quick you often don't have time :)

5. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Mar 30, 2007

Go EARLY! I had to wait and go in the afternoon because of my student teaching assignment, and I almost didn't get to see anyone! A lot of them leave earlier than you expect. We were told they would be there until 3 pm and most left by lunch!

Also, I agree with the others here. Dress interview style.

6. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Mar 30, 2007

Ditto to what everybody already said.

I went to a job fair on Monday. Be sure to dress professionally. I was really shocked by some of the outfits that people had on.

I made packets with; cover letter, resume, philosophy of teaching statement, letters of recommendation and a copy of my credential. I am not sure all of that was necessary, but it shows that I am serious and prepared.

Good luck, they can be kind of crummy.

7. dillpickle

dillpickle Rookie

Mar 31, 2007

I just got back from a job fair today. I wore a nice pair of AnnTaylor tailored black dress pants with a pale yellow button down shirt and heels.Just wear what you would to an interview. I was shocked at how some of these people were dressed....jeans, khakis and tshirts with tennis shoes!! I already had my applications sent to the districts I was interested in, but they did ask for people that didn't to fill out an application. It may be helpful to go online and print their app out and just take it with you. I also took a bunch of resumes. Bring a notepad to take down names and numbers just in case they run out of cards. I took a shoulder bag that was big enough to hold my manila folder of resumes. The lines were not that long here (MS) and it was in our state capital too. They gave us a map with locations of each district. I just circled the districts on the map that I wanted to visit and only went there. It was not really like an interview for me though. Mostly they were just taking resumes and writing down what I was certified in. They didn't ask any questions that I thought they would. I was surprised.

8. wannateachintx

wannateachintx Rookie

Mar 31, 2007

for those who have attended job fairs, how many copies of your information did you bring? Were they in anything special? I really want to make a good first impression on those districts I am interested in.

9. dillpickle

dillpickle Rookie

Mar 31, 2007

I made 15 copies of my resume, but I only visited 5 booths. I just took extras just in case. I carried a shoulder bag...not a briefcase. It's kind of like a purse, but big enough to hold a manila folder. My resumes were in the folder. I had my resume out of my bag before I even stepped up to the booth though.