Job Fair Advice?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Lumi, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Lumi

Lumi Companion

Apr 18, 2018

Hello All,

I am scheduled to attend a job fair this weekend in hopes of getting a pre-k teaching position in my local district where I am currently a para. I haven't been to a job fair in about 15 years and I'm wondering anyone has any advice or information about their job fair experience? I would like to be prepared and know a little about what to expect. I feel that my past several years that I've worked as a para has prepared me well to teach and that I am ready! I feel that I will go in with confidence and hopefully that will make an impression, but what else should I be prepared for? If anyone can give me any tips I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

3. pommom

pommom Comrade

Apr 18, 2018

It depends on the type of job fair. Some do interviews and some don't.
    Bring enough resumes.
    Have an opening prepared to tell about yourself when you meet them.

4. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Apr 20, 2018

From my experience, there are very long lines. I haven't gone to the job fairs last year because of my back problems. Also, make sure to wear flats instead of heels.

Master Pre-K likes this.
  5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2018

Is this a job fair just for that one district or for others in the area? If it's just that one district this doesn't apply, but I've found that the best strategy for job fairs is to seek out the smaller districts. They tend to be doing actual interviews. In my area, they are usually just screening interviews but it definitely helps get your name in for when building principals interview for specific positions. Last time I attended a job fair, I ended up getting a "real" position-specific interview in every district I met at the job fair.

The bigger districts tend to just be doing "meet and greets" and passing out information about their district and how to apply online. IMO, this is a complete waste of time. They're certainly not going to remember someone from a "meet and greet" and you can figure out how to apply online/find info about the district yourself. At the first job fair I went to in this area, I made the mistake of getting in a gigantic line and wasting over an hour for a bigger district, only to get to the front and realize they were just doing meet and greets. By the time I got to other districts, they'd already filled up their interview schedules. I knew not to do that the second time!

I would also recommend getting there early as lines will start forming early. If they provide a map of schools/districts prior to the fair, map out your route. For schools/districts you're really interested in, prepare a cover letter tailored to why you'd like to work at that specific school. Since you already work in the district, you probably have more knowledge about special programs or philosophies that are important to that school/district, which will give you an advantage over an outsider.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  6. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Apr 22, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  7. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 22, 2018

I have been to a few job fairs recently. I would recommend bringing many copies of your resume. Keep it in a nice folder so you can quickly take it out.

In addition, you will be receiving a lot of information from districts and you want to reach out to the people that you met by email--especially principals. One issue that I have had is forgetting who I have met. I would recommend having a notebook to write down this information so you can email with a followup.

Master Pre-K likes this.
  8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2018

I wouldn't go wild by printing your resume on chartreuse linen paper! You want to be recognized for your skills! Sometimes, there's a link posted so you can submit your resume ahead of time. This is helpful for those schools that don't show up, and the recruiters who may want to take a second look for candidates. Don't worry about the long lines, just smile and drop your resume in the box. They do look at them during breaks, and take them all back to the office.

Lines will be wrapped around the building for top schools. Step over the table with the lonely recruiter. He/she will be glad to talk to you! Even if it's not on your list, every contact is important. Practice your interview skills and you might hear new questions. They may even know someone in your top schools! Networking is a big factor in job hunting. Some recruiters and P's will gladly call you and ask if they can pass your resume along to their friends and associates.

Take frequently breaks. Step outside, get a sip of water, sit down for a minute. Eat lunch early, so you can get in line when they start to dwindle. This is a marathon, and you will be exhausted. Last thing you want to do is yawn when you get to the front of the line!

Don't forget to follow up with the schools you really like. If they have business cards, take them. It never hurts to make a follow up call. Don't be a pest, just friendly call or email once or twice.

9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Apr 23, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  10. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Apr 23, 2018

I went to one job fair, and decided it wasn't the way I was going to be hired. I'd rather just fill out apps and wait for them to bite.

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2018

No, that’s not what I said.

I said they MIGHT pass your resume on, after callng you first. I would never suggest anyone asking a recruiter to do such a thing.

Going to a job fair is a shot in the dark for candidates and recruiters. And you could very well go talk to a school that isn’t your first choice, and get an impressive offer.

I simply stated it’s important to make several contacts, and not put all your eggs (or resumes) in one basket.