Job Dilemma

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 12, 2019

Check with your union for your letter. You want to make sure you get correct dates so your insurance continues.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  2. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2019

I didn't even think of this. I assume that I would have to resign effective August 27th?

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 13, 2019

You should resign effective at the end of your current school’s contract year. For me, that’s always June 30. So, even if my last day of work were May 28, I would state in my letter that “I am resigning my position effective at the end of the current contract year, June 30.” That allows me to keep my insurance and all other benefits through that time. You might have to find short term insurance or pay COBRA if you have gaps between coverage. Unfortunately most districts won’t allow you to have benefits coverage at the start of the new contract year (July 1 here), if you haven’t signed a contract for the new school year. You can always check with your current HR to find out the exact date when your benefits will end, but it likely won’t change the official date of your resignation. Unless you resign sooner, your period of employment ends when your current contract ends, assuming you have not signed a new one.

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2019

The union president told me that there is no reason to delay the date of my resignation and that health insurance continues until the last day of august.

bella84 and futuremathsprof like this.
  5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 13, 2019

Glad you checked! My district does this, but not all do.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  6. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2019

I told my principal I am leaving. My coworkers today told me that he is used to it. He was really nice and I sent in my resignation email too!

whizkid and bella84 like this.
  7. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jul 15, 2019

Congrats. Can't wait to send in mine in another couple of years or so!

8. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2019

I have to say that I am slightly nervous. An offer letter is not a contract but it seems like they don’t sign contracts until orientation. So I’m hoping nothing goes wrong :)

I’m a little sad to leave my school since I am so used to it. But I also feel relieved knowing that I won’t have to deal with 35 kids per class anymore and a long commute. My new district also offers free PD where we can earn .5 of a grad credit for every 6 hours of PD. It is really nice and a great way to move up the pay scale :)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    futuremathsprof likes this.
  9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2019

I’m going in to see my classroom on Friday! I’m really excited. The principal also told me that the person who had the job last year is transitioning to coaching. He said that if I am interested, he has a ton of resources he can share with me and he would pay both of us for any collaboration time. We are also meeting next week to talk about supplies, etc. Apparently this school has a $250 budget for supplies AND provides the basics like pencils on top of it (which is very new to me.) The coach also has a ton of intervention resources that he can share which is great. I am a little nervous about the intervention part of the job but I am excited for it. I like working w/ small groups.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  10. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2019

So I moved almost everything out of my current classroom today and I'm finishing up tomorrow. It's convenient that I am still there for summer school for two more days so I can clean up. I have been spending my prep cleaning up for whoever teaches next, erasing things off the wall that my kiddos from last year drew, etc.

I didn't realize how much stuff I had accumulated. I'm leaving a few things that I don't need but I'm taking most of it with me but leaving a few things. I brought it home with me but it is a mess. I am really hoping that I can move some stuff into my new classroom soon to get it out of the way because I do not want it sitting in my apartment all summer AND I do not want to stress about moving everything in a week before school starts.

11. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2019

If I stayed in my previous school, my class sizes would be 35, 33, and 28. The class of 35 has one pretty bad behavior problem...I am so relieved that I found a new job.

12. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jul 18, 2019

I can't wait until I can say that!

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  13. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jul 18, 2019

What are your new sizes? I got my class lists today. My class sizes this year are 16, 18, 19, 26, and 28. Could be a little more balanced, but can't really complain.

14. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2019

I won't have access to any of that until orientation in August. A ton of teachers left my old school (even months ago) but we are still listed as their teachers on PowerSchool and my district hasn't removed email or gradebook access yet. The class of 35 used to be 36 but they moved one kid to turn the class of 32 into a class of 33.

Next year, my principal said that my classes will be around 22-24. They are capped at 30. I hear the behavior is better so I'm hoping that is true. There were 43 students in the 5th grade last year and we will split them between two classes, but I know we might have some new students, etc. I am not sure if my school has some sped students who do not participate in gen ed math classes or if that's at another school in the district. My intervention groups will be around 2-4 kids per group.

I know that these class sizes (30+) are normal in some areas but they are not in my state. I have been on interviews where they were shocked when I told them that I had 34-35 kids per class. In the previous offer I got (the one that started as a LTS), it was at an urban school w/ behavior issues, and the interview panel agreed that if I could manage 35 kids that I would do find in their school. I talked to the coach at my new school (who had my job last year) and he said classes do not get close to 30 here and he had 23-24 last year.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  15. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2019

I hope you do soon! Good luck!!