Job Dilemma

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Apr 16, 2019.

  1. Ms.Holyoke

    Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

    Joined:
    May 14, 2012
    Messages:
    1,777
    Likes Received:
    524

    Jul 2, 2019

    For the new job, since I am doing intervention for grades 3-5, I wanted to make sure that I could be hired for the job since my certifications are 5-8 math and 5-12 for special ed. The principal is 99.99% sure it is not a problem, but I definitely need that confirmed before I resign. Once that is confirmed, I think I will informally let my old principal know that I am planning on leaving and I am going to formally resign ASAP. The person he contacted is on vacation so I should know for sure by Monday. I also qualify for the math certification for grades 1-6 and applied for that today. I'm wondering if I should let my new school know that I did apply for the certification?

    I sent in my transcripts today and am going in tomorrow to get my CORI/payroll done. I'm hoping that going in early will speed up the process. The principal said that he did process a recommendation for hire today.
     
  2. waterfall

    waterfall Maven

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2011
    Messages:
    5,839
    Likes Received:
    694

    Jul 2, 2019

    Based on this, it makes sense to receive something more formal before resigning. I would wait until you hear if you can have the job without the certification. Just in case there is some hiccup with that (department of ed takes a really long time, there is some random qualification thing you don't know about, etc.) you don't want to be worrying about that all summer.

    Around here, signing contracts right away is simply not done. Typically they're given out to all new and returning teachers at the same time, often a couple of weeks before school starts regardless of when you're hired. In my first district, I didn't actually sign a contract until October even though I'd been working there since August. However, when switching jobs I did at least wait to hear something more formal from HR and not just a verbal offer from the P. That pretty much guaranteed there were no issues on their end. My second district was moving super slowly with the HR piece and I ended up calling and explaining that I was moving (which was true) and needed some sort of proof of employment in order to rent an apartment. They ended up processing my stuff right away.

    As for your current P, I don't think he's going to be blindsided as he knows you're the top candidate for this other school, right? I would just tell him that the other P told you you're still the top candidate, but they are checking on your ability to work with younger grades with your current certification, and need to clear that up before making a formal offer. I don't see why your P wouldn't understand that.
     
    Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  3. Ms.Holyoke

    Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

    Joined:
    May 14, 2012
    Messages:
    1,777
    Likes Received:
    524

    Jul 2, 2019

    These are all good ideas! Thank you. I am still waiting to receive something more formal from HR so I am going to wait to resign. I figure that resigning next week isn’t so bad considering that they’ll have over a month to find a replacement. I don’t know if my former principal knows if I’m the top candidate for the position.
     
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  4. whizkid

    whizkid Cohort

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2016
    Messages:
    699
    Likes Received:
    294

    Jul 2, 2019

    Wooooooooow
     
    futuremathsprof likes this.
  5. whizkid

    whizkid Cohort

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2016
    Messages:
    699
    Likes Received:
    294

    Jul 2, 2019

    Cause they like to gossip and be messy.
     
  6. whizkid

    whizkid Cohort

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2016
    Messages:
    699
    Likes Received:
    294

    Jul 2, 2019

    I honestly don't think it's anyone's business, especially the principal's, where anyone is going. Now it may comes up if you use this principal for a reference or need a letter of recommendation, but other than that, nope.
     
  7. Ms.Holyoke

    Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

    Joined:
    May 14, 2012
    Messages:
    1,777
    Likes Received:
    524

    Jul 3, 2019

    I went in to do my paperwork (my CORI, bank information, etc.). I still haven't gotten confirmation about the certification. I am really hoping that I won't run into anything unexpected here...My greatest fear now is that I will have to go back to my original job and my principal will hate me!
     
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    futuremathsprof likes this.
  8. futuremathsprof

    futuremathsprof Aficionado

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2014
    Messages:
    3,765
    Likes Received:
    1,014

    Jul 3, 2019

    I’m crossing my fingers that everything goes well!
     
  9. Ms.Holyoke

    Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

    Joined:
    May 14, 2012
    Messages:
    1,777
    Likes Received:
    524

    Jul 9, 2019

    Received my 1-6 license today!! :) I had a letter from my principal that I taught 6th grade this year and that experience counts to receive your 1-6 license.

    HR said that my paperwork is processing & I finished everything on my end. I haven't heard from my new principal this week though about the certification so I'm assuming it's not a problem. Should I send him an email that I am certified? I don't want to be annoying but I do want to let him know.
     
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    mathteachertobe likes this.
  10. mathteachertobe

    mathteachertobe Cohort

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2011
    Messages:
    591
    Likes Received:
    118

    Jul 9, 2019

    Does HR know about the additional certification. At this point, I think they are the ones that matter.
     
  11. Ms.Holyoke

    Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

    Joined:
    May 14, 2012
    Messages:
    1,777
    Likes Received:
    524

    Jul 9, 2019

    Nope, but I will let them know tomorrow.

    I did notice that the job posting was taken down.
     
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  12. Ms.Holyoke

    Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

    Joined:
    May 14, 2012
    Messages:
    1,777
    Likes Received:
    524

    Jul 11, 2019

    Ok...so my paperwork is still in payroll. I'm trying to figure out if there is a way I can make them hurry up or if I can pick up my letter on Monday instead of them mailing it. It has to go through payroll and the superintendent's office.

    I am working the summer program at my (former) school. My principal was out on vacation this week so I didn't see him which was nice. What should I tell him when I see him on Monday?
     
  13. bella84

    bella84 Aficionado

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2012
    Messages:
    3,315
    Likes Received:
    1,274

    Jul 11, 2019

    At this point, it seems okay to tell your current principal that you have accepted the new position.
     
  14. TeacherNY

    TeacherNY Phenom

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2008
    Messages:
    4,231
    Likes Received:
    886

    Jul 12, 2019

    Who did you use for references? If you used your principal then he would most likely have an idea about you leaving already.
     
  15. Ms.Holyoke

    Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

    Joined:
    May 14, 2012
    Messages:
    1,777
    Likes Received:
    524

    Jul 12, 2019

    I received my offer letter today! The thing is that it says "your employment will not extend beyond June 2020 unless renewed by the recommendation of the principal and supervisor" and "this letter does not constitute as a contract of employment." It says employment is contingent on a CORI check so maybe that's why?

    Does anyone have a 'template' for a resignation? I am still going to be doing the summer program at my school next week.
     
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. catnfiddle,
  2. skyline
Total: 509 (members: 6, guests: 475, robots: 28)
test