job decision what to do?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by PenCelia, Jul 6, 2006.

1. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

Jul 6, 2006

Hi ya'll I'm in a bad position. I moved to va in nov 04 to teach because I couldn't find a teaching job in nh after three ys with my med. Last summer I came back to look for a teaching job couldn't find one so went back to teach in va. I find myself in the same position again. I really don't want to go back to va. The cost of living was too high in the dc area and I hate the city. I told my principal I'd let her know by July 15. The problem is I'm starting to panic because I don't see any elementary jobs posted. I'm even considering moving to a small town somewhere else where cost of living is low. I want to be able to afford a house. What should I do? Should I tell my principal I quit before I get a job? Eek! Next years kids are not bad at all. I just haven't been able to make real connections down there. I need a job beause I need health insurance. Does anyone know of a suburban place that needs teachers? Should I be putting in resumes even if they aren't job openings? Need help! Thanks! Sarah

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2006

My advice: Don't quit before you have another job. Secondly, yes, send out to EVERY district under the sun. You never know what may turn up even in the middle of the year. I would at least hang in there a little longer.

4. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jul 6, 2006

I agree. I wouldn't quit without accepting a job somewhere else first, especially if you need the insurance. Definitely send resumes out to any school you would want to work in. It will let them know you are interested.

5. SmartCookie

SmartCookie Comrade

Jul 7, 2006

Well, if you are willing to pick up and move you have many opportunities. I recommend you go to a city then rent for a short period of time before you purchase a home. It is not productive to make important decisions under the gun. North Carolina and Texas have many opportunities.