Job change help please

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by ponton670, Jul 30, 2007.

1. ponton670

ponton670 Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

After teaching spec ed in grade K-5 for the past 14 years I am being switched to 6-8th this year. I need some assistance of what my room should look like--I don't want it to be too "elementary". What should be on the walls???
    Thanks

ETA: I will be teaching most subject areas as I have some kids that spend the majority of the day in spec ed.

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2007

Maps, inpierational posters, no cutsie animals, your procedures, rules etc, and leave places for students work.

Now I am out of ideas, what subject are you teaching? That will help

4. ponton670

ponton670 Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

double post

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 2, 2007

Why don't you cover the bulletin boards with paper. And than let the kids help decide what to put up. Maybe work they are proud of and so on. I would put up a map of the world and US.

6. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

I teach a grade 7/8 split. On my door I have some motivational posters - sports themed. Then I have some sayings (e.g. smiles are contagious, let learning that you around world, etc.). I found a really neat set of "Wanted Posters" re: behaviours, and I laminated pictures from a motivation calendar.

My bulletin boards are covered with tablecloth from the $ store, and trimmed w/ border, but I leave them empty and fill it out with examples of students' work as the year gets going. One of my first assignments has the kids bringing in an item that represents who they are and hanging it on a board. We each give a quick presentation - I use it as an introduction-type activity.

I have the class schedule hanging up (we are on a 6-day cycle so it can get confusing for them at times). I also have some maps, a math set (showing place value, decimal conversion and fractions), and a review of basic writing conventions. I have the students develop some posters re: class rules, year goals, classroom jobs, etc - we do this as a 4-corners activity on the first few days of school.

I have lots of fun with colours - definetly let the students have as much influence as possible - though I learned that if they really don't want (e.g. "cool boys"), don't force them . . .it will look horrible!!

One last thing - one of my favorite decorations last year was an biography - they were matched up in pairs, interviewed each other, and wrote up biographies. Then the partners had to draw a picture of each other and gle it to the other side. I laminated the finished result and hung them from the ceiling. It was neat :)

Have fun decorating!!

7. bridge

bridge Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

Our 7th grade sp.ed. teacher collects Sponge Bob stuff so she has it all over the room. The kids get a kick out of it. I covered 6th grade sp.ed. and I had stuffed "critters" in various places of the room- a possum hanging in a tree, a skunk sitting on top of the cabinet, a gorilla holding a book, a capuchin monkey lying across the CD player, and our favorites- Thing 1 and Thing 2. We often wrote stories based on the latest antics of the critters. Many students had difficulty with abstract "fiction" stories, and the hands-on-ness of having the stuffed animals in the room helped.