Job Cancelled

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by bella, Jan 31, 2011.

1. bella

bella Rookie

Jan 31, 2011

For those of you on AESOP,

Have you ever seen your rating? One of the secretaries printed out an info sheet for me last week and it had my name listed, with (No Rating) next to it. Ive been subbing since the fall of 2009, how could it be that no teacher has ever rated my performance?

Also, how do you feel when your job gets canceled? I was supposed to cover for a teacher (she had a meeting last Tuesday and I covered for her then too) and today I went on to check the times and my job was canceled. Is it common to have a job canceled?

Thanks!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2011

Sometimes jobs that get put in early get canceled because plans change. Maybe the doctor canceled the appointment, daycare arrangements changed, etc.

I don't usually have time to rate my subs...plus, I don't really know how good or bad of a job they do unless it is terrible. Look at not having a rating as a good thing. Most times, teachers only rate subs if there was something bad going on.

4. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Feb 1, 2011

i do not always rate the subs either, what is the point? The subs that have been good though, I put them in my preferred list :)

5. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Feb 1, 2011

We've used Aesop in my district for at least a year now and I had no idea I could even rate a sub. I'll have to look for that. I've registered for personal days and cancelled out for one reason or another. It happens.

6. Vince

Vince Rookie

Feb 1, 2011

We've been using Aesop beginning with this school year, and I've worked everyday except I think two. Out of all those assignments, only 14 teachers have given me a rating. I think they either don't know, or don't bother, or are not sure what to put. BTW, in my district, we have access to the ratings when we login.

7. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Feb 1, 2011

We don't use Aesop, so I can't speak to that, but as to jobs being cancelled--sometimes it's a blessing if it's a job you took out of necessity in a grade or at a school where you really don't want to work. It depends on when the cancellation happens, though. If there's enough time to find something else, I usually just roll with it. If it's last minute, I get kind of irked.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 1, 2011

I was canceled a few times while still subbing. If a teacher has to reschedule a doctor's appointment, scheduled incorrectly or doesn't have to take a sick day, he or she may want to just bank that time. It's tough on the sub, to be sure, but it makes sense for the full-time teacher. I just hope you haven't had the occasion of driving to the school and finding out there that you were canceled. I lost a couple of paying jobs at one due to a misfire at another school.

9. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Feb 1, 2011

We just got Aesop last year and have not been instructed on leaving a rating. In fact, I didn't know about it until I talked to a teacher from a neighboring district. I'll have to look into it.

So... it could be a myriad of reasons. I work in a small district so everyone knows (or is related to) everyone else (except me, the outsider). We know our "preferred subs" and they get steady work in the district. That can make it difficult for new subs trying to get in but I think we do a nice job of showing our appreciation and being "repeat customers."

10. azure

azure Companion

Feb 1, 2011

I think rating subs on AESOP is one of those options a school district can choose to participate in or not. So your district may not have teh option.

11. Emmy

Emmy Companion

Feb 1, 2011

I've never had a teacher rate me on AESOP. Guess they don't have the time or really don't know how you did as a substitute teacher since they weren't there. I've only had 1 job cancelled, but wasn't too upset cause I picked up another sub job for that day. I had booked that cancelled job several weeks in advance and the teacher cancelled at least a week in advance. I do appreciate that so I was able to take another sub job.

12. HoldenCaulfield

HoldenCaulfield Rookie

Feb 1, 2011

I've accepted jobs on Aesop before and had them cancelled within five minutes because the teacher had "some particular" sub in mind. It is what it is. LOL

13. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Feb 1, 2011

Our district uses AESOP, too. I also had no idea that I could rate a sub. I don't know that I've ever even seen that option when I sign in.

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 1, 2011

Some districts don't use the sub rating feature on Aesop. I was only in two out of five that did. Interestingly, the subs were required to provide feedback to the teachers.

15. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

Feb 1, 2011

Wait, there is a rating on AESOP?? Lol!! How do I check to see what my rating is?

I miss A LOT of perfered sub postings with AESOP - not a huge fan of that!! It sends out an email, and unless I am there waiting for it, the position is picked up by someone else. Why send the notice - to let me know that someone else will be in that room instead of me? Luckily, I know a lot of the teacher in the district in which I sub, so I will get a personal phone call from either them or the office. They bypass some of the "what ifs" that Aesop presents that were not a problem with our previous sub posting program.