Job Advice. Principal stringing me along?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Momma5, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Momma5

Momma5 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012

I met with the pastor of a Catholic School for a year long maternity leave teaching job. Actually, I didn't even know it was only a year long leave, the principal never told me beforehand and dropped it during the interview, but since I have 0 experience I figure this would at least be something on my resume. I have been home with LO for almost a year and a half and really am not looking forward to leaving her. DH said I could stay home longer, but I figure I am lucky to even get this interview since there is a hiring freeze for public schools and few teaching jobs in private schools.

So I go yesterday, maybe 10 min into the interview the principal tells me her gut tells me I'm the one and she always goes on that. She says just from speaking with you on the phone, I had a feeling I would like you. She asked a lot of what if questions, mostly behavioral stuff, why she should hire me stuff like that. No direct, lesson questions or curriculum stuff. We then chatted and I also menthioned I was married and had a LO. Maybe I shouldn't have said that, but am I supposed to keep it a secret? So she says about 2 times that she would love to hire me, gives me the pay, orientation dates then drops that I have to meet with the pastor, but SHE has final say, so implying that what he thinks doesn't matter. She gives me her cell number and tells me to text her when I meet with him, which I do. She calls me today and says to call her after I meet with him to "Go over the next steps." Again, I assuming she means filling out forms, orientaion stuff.

So I travel again, scamble to have someone watch LO again, meet this pastor and he spends literally 3 minutes with me. Doesn't ask a single teaching question, Religion question, how I would incorporate Religion but says about 3 times "Oh, so it went good with the principal". No, it went horrible that's why I am here. He then asked where I lived, asked if I ever taught before, which I said no to, and he didn't seem too enthused. I did mention I did student teaching. He then asked if I have ever prepared children for 1st holy communion, and my answer was no, then askes did I ever voulunteer at a CCD program, and again no. Then he said he would talk to the principal tomorrow. I'm assuming the communion thing is important, since he asked.

The principal never mentioned the communion thing to me either. I'm pretty sure I made mine in the 3rd grade, so didn't even think to ask. I would also be the only 2nd grade teacher there, but she said I would be working with the 3rd grade teacher as well. I have to admit though, I am pretty nervous about having to run the penance and communion, but obviously I would have to do it. Of course, I'm hoping someone would explain what it is I have to do at least and not just throw me to the wolves.

I call the principal again, bc she asked I call her after I meet with Pastor. She goes on to say how she has my orentitation letter ready to be mailed out. She asks me if he asked questions about teaching, I told her what he asked and I get a very sullen "Oh". Now the story changes to "Ok, I will talk to him tomorrow and hopefully things work out."

So what happened to "Oh I have the final say" Apparently not, since now it seems like if he doesn't approve then no letter gets mailed out. Also, Ive went on other Catholic school inverterviews and never had to mee with a pastor. I mean, when will I be working with him?

So, my gut is telling me I am not going to get this bc I don't have experience, wether it be teaching or preparing them for communion? Should I have not mentioned I have a LO? Would you even accept this position if you were me or do you think it will be too much as a first year teacher?

The pay is not good, but it's experience. She is letting me know today. Advice?

3. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 28, 2012

I have a 14 month old and would love the opportunity to stay at home with my lo. For us, it us not financially possible at this time. Obviously you need to do what's in your heart, but would the dismal pay cover the cost of a babysitter/day care? The situation does sound sort of odd with the behavior of the two interviewers... I guess I would wait and see if they offer you the job, and then maybe write out a list of pros and cons.

Also- don't think it was bad you mentioned LO, something they should know (although not something they should base their decision on). Andi think you could do the job, but it is hard to balance work/ children at home life at first. I've taught 3 years and I was really good about not bringing anything home this year so family and school life were separate.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2012

I don't think that there is anything wrong with mentioning a little one in an interview.

It does sound like the pastor may be a bigger factor than originally thought (maybe because it is second grade with the communion piece)...

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2012

I don't think you are being 'strung' along...this is a communication/administrative issue at the school. Faith based learning is understandably going to be a focus in this school...the principal and pastor seem to want to find just the right fit in terms of someone who can take on both the academic content AND the Catechetical teaching...communion preparation in grade 2 is critical, while also being a beautiful, spiritually uplifting experience...embrace that opportunity if this position is offered to you.:)

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 28, 2012

I made my First Communion in 2nd Grade and the school I work in now does it in 2nd grade which is standard as far as I know.

I don't think it's a big issue that you haven't prepared students for First Communion yet. I got a LTS assignment where I was teaching 8th Grade Confirmation class and I never did that before. Like all other subjects there is a curriculum you follow. I'd say the biggest thing you will have to do is stay on top of the dates they have to complete stuff by.

Also, while you are the only 2nd grade teacher, there is going to be probably at least one other CFF/CCD class making Communion to if your school offers the classes to public school kids. You could always get the contact info for their teacher if you need someone to talk to about it.

7. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2012

My friend is the director of a local Catholic school and nobody gets hired unless the priest approves - he interviews them all. Doesn't sound that unusual to me. I got offered her job but recommended my friend because I knew religion would end up being an issue. It is a conservative parish and he likes his finger in everything.

8. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Jun 28, 2012

Second grade at a Catholic school is a big deal. I student taught at a Catholic school and remember that they were very careful with who they put in second grade, and often wanted someone with experience. So it probably has more to do with that than with you having a LO, which really shouldn't be a big deal at all.

That being said, you can do it. There is a curriculum to follow and hopefully other teachers will be helpful. Many churches have a director of religious education who is also a part of First Communion as well.

Lastly, every time I've interviewed or worked at a Catholic school, the pastor always has a say in who gets hired. Here he's considered kind of the "superintendent," even though he's not called that. Often, they are the ones who sign the checks :)

9. Momma5

Momma5 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012

Well she was talking to him this morning and supposed to call me. Never heard from her. Oh well. I will take this as a learning experience but I also wish she was a little more truthful and didn't make it appear like the position was mine. Guess my offer letter is still waiting to be put in the mail lol.

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2012

Hopefully she will call you soon. I agree with whoever said earlier that this is a communication/admin issue. Whatever the outcome, you have gained experience. But I'm pretty sure the P wasn't trying to lead you on...it sounds like she really likes you and thinks you will be a great fit. :hugs: and good luck.

11. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jul 10, 2012

Did you ever receive a call?