Jimmy Kimmel is at it again!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2011

The last one was horrible... I couldn't believe the kid said that.

The one with the brown banana & the bro & sis with pb sandwich...funny!!!

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 15, 2011

I thought it was hilarious! I can't believe the mom of the last kid actually sent her video in, and I can't believe Kimmel turned around and aired it, but I will admit I laughed. LOUDLY.

I still like the Halloween video the best. :)

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 16, 2011

I admit the last one made me laugh too.

I didn't find this one as funny as the Halloween one. I think because in that one they said they ate their candy, they got mad, but then they got their candy back.

In this one, though, the parents work them up about a present, then when they get it, it's ridiculous, but then they still have to wait 2-3 weeks for a present, which is a really long time to a kid. I just thought it was kind of mean, unless they really were going to let them open a real present. So I guess that last reaction didn't surprise me too much. If my BF worked me up about opening a present early and then gave me a old banana, I would probably react the same way.

6. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Dec 17, 2011

I started another string about the same thing before I saw this one. Kimmel seems to get a perverse pleasure from seeing parents tease their children. I don't get it. And I don't get why the parents follow his dumb suggestions.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 17, 2011

I very much enjoyed both videos. But I'm assuming they were given a real gift to open.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 17, 2011

I think it's an extremely sad commentary on our society that we see ungratefulness on the part of the child and meanness on the part of the parent as funny. And yeah, I think it's pretty mean to give your kid a weird piece of food as a present and video tape their reaction. Those kids are now immortalized on the internet whether they want to be or not. As are their really terrible reactions and the complete non-recognition from the parents that their children are wildly spoiled and unable to politely control their emotions.

Can you tell I really, really don't like this video clip or the fact that we all just think it's funny, rather than disturbing?

9. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Dec 17, 2011

I agree. I didn't think the one about the Halloween candy was funny either. A friend of mine posted it on facebook and said it made her cry she was laughing so hard. I don't think there's anything funny about teasing children about holidays that they are so excited about. I don't interpret their reactions as ungratefulness, rather as disappointment that their expectations are not met. Children are still learning to control their responses, so if they are really hoping for some toy and they get a hot dog, they're going to express that disappointment. Remember, they can't just go out and buy whatever they don't get for Christmas.

And the kid with the foul mouth at the end? His parents should be ashamed of that - not proud enough to let the world see it.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 17, 2011

The cussing, the anger? No, that's not funny. But the sweet little girl who said she likes when her mother makes real meals such as Hot Pockets? I find that laugh out loud funny!

I don't love that they're on television and the Internet, but then again I also have concerns about young child actors and more so young children on reality television (Toddlers and Tiaras, for example).

ETA: Not a brand new source of entertainment, by the way. A little different, yes, but same idea of creating (or catching) funny moments. I remember laughing at America's Funniest Videos many moons ago. One of the most classic is when the dad wakes the kids up with a chainsaw. Remember that? :haha:

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 18, 2011

To be honest, I'm not a fan.

If the whole thing were staged, if the kids KNEW it was a joke and were told to act AS IF, then I would probably find some of them funny.

But I think it's mean to set up the children we love, then make them into a national joke.

And I don't think that any of the kids here are necesesarily "spoiled." Halloween, birthdays and Christmas are the three most wonderful days in a child's year. To have that one day intentionally destroyed by someone who loves you, to be set up as the butt of a joke doesn't tell us any thing about the kid; I think it tells us somethnin about the parent holding the video camera.

I have a new one for Kimmel. Have bosses all over the country tell workers that it's been a good year, and that they're all in for a huge bonus. Then have them receive a check for $0.03. And videotape THEM for the next hour and post it online.

Or, better yet, have their parents tell the adults that, as a Christmas gift, they've gotten an all expense paid trip to Vegas. They're to pack and be at the airport. When they get there, tell them there's been a change. Instead of Vegas, they'll be staying at the dingiest, scariest no-tell motel in town, all expenses paid.

And put it online.

I think "spoiled" would probably be a compliment in comparison to the reaction we would see. Yet these same parents have no qualms about posting their kids when they've been disappointed on the biggest day of the year by the people who love them most.

12. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Dec 18, 2011

This kind of thing really makes my heart hurt. I've never enjoyed watching or partcipated in any kind of prank. I don't think they are funny.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 18, 2011

But the adults in the suggested pranks would not be getting anything, while these kids got their candy and I assume a gift. Nothing was taken from them.

A boss actually told us once we were getting a bonus and went on about how hard we had worked that year and didn't get compensated adequately so he pulled strings and this and that to make the bonus happen. We got a candy bar, the 100 Grand variety. Blah. See, in that case we didn't get a darn penny...but the children did get their candy collection back, minus maybe only a piece or two.

We pranked each other growing up, so this all just seems right up especially my step-dad's alley.

14. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 18, 2011

I grew up with a prankster family, too. I remember one year I was SOOO sure that I knew what this one particular gift was for me under the tree. When Christmas day came, and I opened it, the gift was a block of wood! Of course, my parents then pulled out the real present (which was what I thought it was), but we all had a good laugh. My dad CONSTANTLY pulled pranks on us (and still does)!

15. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Dec 18, 2011

I found these funny also and I often enjoy a good prank. Of course, there are some that could be really mean but for the most part I found these in the videos to be harmless. I would probably react the same way and then laugh about my reaction.

Just like at times something embarrassing happens and we don't find it funny at that moment but then it makes a super funny story later on.

These funny moments remind me that we are human and we need to learn to laugh more at ourselves and stop taking life so seriously.

16. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

Dec 18, 2011

I think it's all in good fun. My little cousins were actually in the Halloween video. They were flown out to California to be on Jimmy Kimmel. They had a very cute reaction and it was really a harmless prank.

17. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Dec 18, 2011

Were your cousins the two little boys at the end?

18. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 18, 2011

But what if these kids really did get a stapler from their great Aunt Ida-that would make it ok to react that way-because it wasn't what they wanted! I think most of the kids knew it was a joke after they opened it and I'm sure none of them are traumatized for life.

The one that threw the huge hissy-fit telling them the were the worst parents in the world for getting him a pink shirt-that was scary.

I also thought the girl with the peanut-butter sandwich was downright charming!

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 18, 2011

I also thought the same thing.

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 18, 2011

Wow. The parent of the kid who had the obscene suggestion for Jimmy Kimmel should be appalled.

You know, some kids are used to parents who pull pranks and enjoy harmless fun. If they can handle it and don't feel taken advantage of or embarrassed, then it's fine. But, the definition of 'all in fun' should be from the perspective of the child, not the parent who's getting a laugh at the expense of someone vulnerable. JMO

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 18, 2011

Oh, the kids were wrong.

But sometimes you reap what you sow.

22. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Dec 18, 2011

It makes you wonder just what the parents did to incite the situation before turning on the camera. If a kid has been primed to get - whatever - a special toy for weeks and weeks and the parents tell him he's going to get to open a very special present before Christmas...they're setting up the situation. It's the manipulation that bothers me. And we all know kids learn from what they experience. If a parent manipulates his/her children for his own entertainment, isn't that child learning the same behavior?

23. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 18, 2011

I liked the half-eaten sandwich where the little girl went on about how much she loved her mom's cooking. That one was cute and funny!

Some of those kids...Wow...Especially the last one.

24. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Dec 30, 2011