Jigsaw puzzles?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by czacza, Jan 15, 2011.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2011

Anyone do these? Just found a 500 piece puzzle in our basement given to us years ago...dh and I are thinking it could be fun to light a fire, pour some wine and start on it...

Haven't done a puzzle in yeeeears...do you do the edge pieces first? Look fr specific colors?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2011

My husband and I used to puzzle a lot...then we got a dog. After that we had a baby. Maybe we'll start again soon.

I also worked on the edge first and while I did that began to sort colors.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2011

I haven't done one for years either; I came across a couple of 2000 piece ones in the basement the other day. I always do the edges first--just like my Daddy taught me to.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2011

I never had the patience for puzzles.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 15, 2011

I have been meaning to start one. We have about 5 of them unopened. They are 500 pieces or more. I like starting with the edges. The ones I have done in the past are hanging in my home office. I glued them and put them in frames (very pretty Thomas Kinkaid puzzles that glow in the dark).

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 15, 2011

I have one out on a cardtable as we speak. We do the edges first. It is one thing that the kids and the adults can to together. As soon as it is done, tonight, we are going to teach my GS2 some card games.

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jan 15, 2011

My youngest daughter and I love to do puzzles and usually always have one in progress. Right now we're really into a cool Disney series and working on the Snow White one.

And of course you do the edge pieces first :) then we each stake a claim on a side and work towards the middle.

Have fun :)

9. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jan 15, 2011

I usually look for the edges first. It makes it easier.

10. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jan 15, 2011

I love to do puzzles. I haven't done one in a while, but I always start with the edges and then work in colors. Hmm... have to look for a new one...

11. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 16, 2011

My mom and I love to do puzzles. We also do the edge first, the we work in colors-usually working toward the middle. I haven't done one in a while, but I thought about picking one up a few weeks ago.

12. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jan 16, 2011

I love to do puzzles but haven't done them in a couple years. We have a globe one that I got my fiance last year, thinking we could do it together. Maybe I will make us start it tonight:)

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 16, 2011

I forgot that I had a PUG puzzle somewhere. I should dig that out and work on it tomorrow. I did try it once but it's pretty difficult and there aren't many straight edges since it's entirely in the shape of a pug LOL

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2011

Just seems like a perfect wintery in-the-house, contemplative, peaceful kind of activity.

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 16, 2011

Me either but my boys and my husband does them. I once did a puzzle that DID intrigue me. Basically it was a picture of cartoon apartment building. What was interesting is I had to put the puzzle together based on what the characters were saying. It was a puzzle within a puzzle. Though the box showed all the comments, it was completely out of order so you had to do a lot of thinking about which level and row this person lived on.

A regular puzzle just gets old for me before I can finish it. BUT the act of doing an activity together mixed with a little wine sounds like the way to spend a relaxing weekend together. Go for it!

16. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 16, 2011

I love puzzles. I always used to do them when visiting my grandma. Actually, I pulled one out and did it one morning when I was home for a snow day this week.

17. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jan 16, 2011

I worked on one with a friend last night. We had a great time and high-fived everytime we found a piece. Love, Love, Love puzzles but my dogs tend to chew the peices so I don't get to do them often.......

18. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 16, 2011

My mom, sisters, brother, and grandma, and even BF, like to do puzzles. My dad and I are the only ones that hate them. I don't have the patience. My dad will walk by and take a piece of the puzzle and put it in his pocket,and then when they finish the whole thing and are missing one piece and frantically looking for it, he walks by and puts the piece in and announces "I finished the puzzle!" No one else thinks it's funny but me. lol.

They even have a special puzzle board so they can move it off the table when they eat. They do tons of puzzles in the winter.

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 16, 2011

I used to have the puzzle mat that you could use to roll up the puzzle and move it. It never worked that well for me.

20. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2011

Am I the only one who likes to work on blocks instead of edges?

I let my nieces and nephews do the edges. I like to pick a house or any object and do those. Works out perfectly.

I think doing puzzles is very peaceful. We always have one set up at the cabin in Maine. Perfect for rainy days.

You can also do one on line just to relax.

http://www.jigzone.com/

21. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 17, 2011

Love doing puzzles too. My mom had one going during the holidays, we sat there for hours and just had the best visit while finishing it up.

22. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 18, 2011

I seriously laughed out loud on this one. Not one of those fake lol's. I read it to my husband and he said, "that's not funny." (as in agreeing with your family).

23. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jan 18, 2011

My family loves to do puzzles. I hope it becomes a staple in our household with our kids.

I bought my brother an Impossipuzzle for Christmas but he hasn't started it yet.

24. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 18, 2011

Everytime I visited my Mom in the nursing home (every other day) we would work on a puzzle. She couldn't see that well and just went through the motions, but it gave us something to chat about. It also helped me de-stress while I was there. We never finished one because someone else would or else take it all apart.
    I think it is relaxing, but now choose other things to do with that time. Maybe if we had a snow day...today it is bright and sunny and a 'no-jacket day' here. Hmmmm.

25. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Jan 18, 2011

I love to do jig saw puzzles. National Geographic website has thousands of pictures that you can make into jig saw puzzles and play on line. You can adjust the number of pieces to suit your needs and you can chose the pictues. Just click on any picture that suits your fancy and it becomes a puzzle - no fee and no need to join. I have to admit, I've spent hours doing puzzles on their website.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/myshot/jigsaw-puzzles

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/your-shot/jigsaw-puzzles

26. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jan 18, 2011

We usually keep puzzles going all winter on the dining room table (we eat at the bar in the kitchen). The kids and I work on them. We always go through the box first and pull out all the edges and do the border first. Then everyone just works on whatever they want. We usually shoot for distinct colors/patterns.