jewish private school interivew

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ST13, Aug 24, 2014.

1. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 24, 2014

So I just got a call from the head of a jewish private school in my area who I emailed my resume to.

She basically told me a teacher may not be coming back and she wants to interview me this week just incase. I'm thrilled! Only problem is, I have never interviewed for a private school before.

I am jewish but not very religious. Are there any specific questions that I should be aware of other than the standard teacher interview questions?

Also, I feel like this may be a one interview thing (not screening etc). With that said, how do I ask about salary/benefits in the most polite and professional way? It's a private school so I know it may be a little lower than public school and I'm not sure how it works with private schools and benefits...I want to make sure of everything before I accept the job (if I get an offer of course) however I have heard that it is unprofessional to ask this in an interview?

Help!! Any advice would be great!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2014

I've tutored kids from a well known private Jewish school...half the day is in Hebrew/Judaic studies...which left little time for in depth teaching of state standards, hence a lot of tutoring hours for me! ...you'll want to do your research on the schools educational philosophy, schedule, calendar...
    Good luck on your interview! Salary and benefits are usually part of the job offer..I wouldn't bring up on first interview.:2cents:

4. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 24, 2014

Yes I am about to do that research right now! Thank you.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2014

I had a friend who worked in a Jewish school, and he complained that the religious studies took precedent over everything else, which crippled what he could teach in science. He is the only person who I ever knew in that situation, but he was miserable. Don't know what you teach, so get a clear understanding of priority.

6. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Aug 25, 2014

I am not Jewish and now work at a Jewish private school. They did not discuss religion at all in my interview, other than to mention the Jewish Studies class when they were discussing the position.

As czaca said, make sure you know about the school, their philosophy, what makes them special, etc. I found out a lot by look through the school's social media accounts.

Good luck!

7. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 25, 2014

wow! what a great idea to check social media! I just found their facebook and it gave me a much better idea of what dress code is like...

The adults do seem pretty covered up (most of the pictures were from winter though)

I think what I will wear is a dress (ends a little below the kneese) with black tights... and a sweater to go over to cover my arms.

Hopefully that would be good!
    Thanks for all the advice!

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 25, 2014

Definitely keep your shoulders and knees covered. You'll be great!

9. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Aug 25, 2014

I have interviewed at a few Jewish private schools. They may ask you why you are interested in a Jewish or faith based school and for that I would have some answer about community ready. I was asked one time if I am Jewish and I do wonder if I get called to some interviews because they mistakenly believe I am Jewish based on my name and resume.

10. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 26, 2014

This thread got me interested in looking at private Jewish schools- I've never had an experience with these types of schools, although I grew up in the town next to a very large Jewish population- the town has at least 20+ Jewish schools in it and it's not a huge town.

I chose to look at one near where I live- it was very interesting to see how their curriculum was set up. They taught K-8 and had separate curriculum for boys and girls. Boys would only study theology and would learn how to read Hebrew, analyzing the language, etc. So religious studies for them. The girls would also have those religious studies, but the site said they have "secular subjects and computer skills" thrown in too. Separate classes at all times- they even have different event times set up (like their back to school night- they have a boys one and a girls one).

I'm all for parents choosing what kind of education their kids will get, but I don't personally think I would be okay with my child not having math, science, arts, gym, etc thrown into the curriculum too. What if these boys don't become rabbis? Then what?

Just a thought....

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 26, 2014

Wow, that's interesting. I'm assuming if they don't become rabbis they would either be able to work in a family business or something where they can learn on the job but what other careers would they be prepared for?

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2014

If you were watching the Emmys last night, apparently a fair number of them go to Hollywood? Not catty, but a recognition of the tremendous impact they have had on our entertainment over the years. I find it amazing.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 26, 2014

No, I don't watch the Emmys but I don't think Hollywood can support 20 schools worth of these kids from the town BioAngel mentioned!

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2014

Not being Jewish, when do they know will be/won't be rabbis? Truly curious.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2014

Religion is a HUGE part of some people's lives and that even though one might be deeply religious and faithful and knowledgeable about their culture's history and religion, it doesn't mean one would then be driven to become a rabbi, or priest, or nun, or other religious worker.

We're mostly talking about K-12 schools here, right? So a student who does well and successfully graduates a school where half the day is religious studies and half the day is more traditional curriculum would have MANY opportunities in terms of college programs and careers. :2cents:

16. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2014

Agreed.

17. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 26, 2014

thanks for all the advice... the interview went well, they didnt ask me anything about religion at all it was a typical "teacher" interview.

However, as some of you said they do teach half day general ed half day judaic studies .... meaning i would only be working half day.... at this point in my career, it's just not worth it for me to do that since I already have two part time jobs

it was a great experience though! Ive been worried that I'll never get called for an interview lately since its such a rough job market so its nice to actually have schools interested in me!

18. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2014

There is no such thing as bad interview practice, and you are right, it is good for the self esteem. :)