Jerry Brown, 5 Billion more cuts in CA education.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Barbera, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Barbera

Barbera Companion

Jan 7, 2012

Jerry Brown, $5 Billion, more cuts in CA education.

Any speculation on what next year will look like?

CA is big, and this is spread throughout the whole state, but still....

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 7, 2012

It's scary here, Barbera!

Class sizes are increasing each year (we went from 20 students in each K-3 class when I first started teaching, to 24 kids a few years ago, and now we're currently at 28 kids in K-3).

We're asked to do MORE with FEWER resources (no aides, small budgets for supplies, etc.)

Next year will be my 8th year teaching in the district (if I don't receive a pink slip this year). I've already been warned that I may be laid off!

Next year is going to be UGLY!

4. Barbera

Barbera Companion

Jan 7, 2012

I guess his proposal is contigent on voters not approving of a tax increase.

I know some district would give out 80-100 pink slips a year and then somehow find funding, but those days may be over. Best of luck to you.

5. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jan 8, 2012

It doesn't sound good. The district I work in has not had to RIF any elementary school teachers for several years; but they barely managed not to last year. If this goes through it probably will have to follow through with RIFs. The district cut almost everything else over the last several years. It went from one of the strongest adult ed programs in the state to almost nothing in the last two years. It has gone from 20 children k-3 up to 27 in K and 30 in 1st-3rd in the last two years. The district is closing schools already next year and plans to cut more each year for several years. Scary!

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2012

Adult ed has taken some of the most severe cuts, with many districts closing their programs altogether. My adult school has taken over $1 million in cuts each of the last 3 years and we are down to bare bones, but I am guessing we will face more.

It sounds like the are going to rescind the penalties for not meeting classroom size reduction, so that will mean additional increases in class size and more layoffs. Just when we hoped things couldn't get worse....

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2012

I am glad to be out of there, but I am sorry for those of you who are having to deal with this headache (not just in CA but elsewhere, as well). CA has been hurting for several years now, and every year it seems as though the problem gets worse, and the cuts grow bigger.

8. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jan 8, 2012

This has been easily foreseeable, way back in 2008. We are now in 2012, with nothing (in terms of the original problems) that has been addressed. Even if we (the taxpayers of this state) vote yes to these taxes (which I pray we do not)... nothing will be solved. It will only paper over the problem for another x year or two, passing the problem on to the taxpayers of this state, along with the new teachers who are forced to the sideline... and we'll be talking about this again in x years.

The basic problem is that our state is broke, and thus state funding has dried up. That we address this problem by amputating an arm, instead of paying for hamburger instead of filet mignons, is the shame in all this.

9. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2012

Hey but at least we're hoping to spend roughly 100 billion on a train nobody will use.