Jeans: Should teachers only be allowed to wear them on Friday's?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teacher_Lyn, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Feb 11, 2009

I'm 25, this is my second year teaching and though it's a Wednesday, I woke up this morning and decided to wear a pair of jeans and a nice top.

In the beginning of the year, I always wore dress pants or skirts, but now, as the year progresses, I find my energy level is going down and somedays I just don't feel like it.

While the P, VP and office ladies always dress up, I've noticed other faculty and staff members do the same (wear jeans occasionally one days other than Friday)

My Mom is old school and says teachers should never wear jeans, especially young ones like myself, because it looks unprofessional when parents come in and they won't take me seriously.

What do you all think?

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 11, 2009

As long is there's no written formal dress code then I would say wear what you are comfortable in. Just make sure you are neat and presentable. Wearings jeans does not have to mean you look sloppy.

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Feb 11, 2009

I'm home sick today and went in this morning to drop of lesson plans in jeans and felt very raggedy. The last two years I got too comfortable at my school with what I wore to work because we have no dress policy for teachers. This year, I have only worn dress pants and nice shirts with blazers or cardigans. I just got tired of looking sloppy. I also noticed that students were more respectful when I dressed in a way that set me apart from them. I like knowing that I CAN wear jeans any time I want. I just have to be careful not to let myself fall into the habit of jeans all the time like I did the last two years.
    Did I answer your question? I'm not sure!

5. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Feb 11, 2009

I wouldn't wear jeans unless we were given permission to for a special events day. I would love to wear jeans but I know that I feel more professional when I'm wearing different pants!

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2009

I wear jeans on Fridays at schools where I know that's acceptable. I agree that it's likely better for you to dress professional because you are, afterall, a professional. To wear jeans occasionally, though, I don't think is a huge problem. For myself, I have done that literally about twice (on days other than Fridays) when I felt not so hot... But, they say if you are not feeling well, or just feeling down or something, to really dress up and that should actually make you feel better.... I have done that too, and it worked for me (dressed up when I felt crummy)...

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 11, 2009

It depends on the school. When I subbed, one school was happy if I showed up at all and was happy to see me in jeans or anything else. Another school frowned on jeans other than Fridays so I went with that. Yet another school only allowed teachers to wear denim on Fridays if they paid into a fund, so I didn't feel free to join them on that.

At this point, I'm halfway through my day and should probably change out of my PJs...

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2009

:lol:

9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Feb 11, 2009

I think any workplace that does not require "business attire" should allow jeans. I think that the ban on jeans is a throwback to the days when it was a fashion statement to have as many holes and rips in jeans as possible, so they just banned them outright. At least that was the explanation given by the dean of the Catholic high school I attended in the 70's.

Nowadays, people generally throw their clothes away when they are torn, so I don't think it's an issue. I think there are far greater clothing items that are no appropriate for school besides jeans.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2009

I definitely agree that if there are not specific rules against jeans, then you should feel free to wear them; however, I do believe that appearing professional most of the time is probably best... That's just IMHO, and what I abide by, but I would never judge a teacher who wore jeans all the time if he or she chose to. In fact, I have seen several teachers at a specific school who only wear jeans regardless of the day...

11. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Feb 11, 2009

My school does not allow jeans at all. Our principal will send you home if you're wearing them. We occasionally have a special spirit day, in which we may wear jeans.

12. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Feb 11, 2009

Are students allowed to wear jeans?

I've said before, students and teachers should have the same standards. If the principal wants the teachers to not wear jeans, then she should also have that rule for students and be able to enforce it. And if the student wants to prohibit students from wearing hats, then she also needs to make that rule for staff as well.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2009

We wore jeans on Friday & donated a dollar to a fund (it's either donated to a charity or done for something in the school). Also on field trips & those kind of "spirit" days we were allowed to.

I had a teacher in HS who thought Bugle Boys (jeans) weren't jeans they were Bugle Boys. Oh the debates with that teacher!!! LOL!!!

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2009

For Fridays we're able to wear jeans. One school is paying for days to wear jeans whenever for Breast cancer.

My sister's school can wear jeans whenever all the time.

15. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Feb 11, 2009

That's not reasonable, Sarge. There are many cases where teachers and students have different standards. Some of these differences are actually mandated by law.

The purpose of keeping teachers from wearing jeans is presumably to present a professional and positive image to the community in general and parents in particular. If the parents are being burdened by a requirement to purchase a separate and less durable wardrobe for school, they're unlikely to have a positive view of the school based on it.

I do agree with your view that there's probably worse clothing choices that are not banned. However, this doesn't really say anything directly about a jeans ban.

16. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Feb 11, 2009

I respect the ideals of my principal because it makes us all look professional at all times. I don't mind and actually find my other pants more comfortable anyways.

17. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Feb 11, 2009

I don't believe that teachers and students should have the same standards. Okay, now saying that, I sometimes wear jeans to school. Right now, I am wearing dark jean dress pants that actually look very professional.

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 11, 2009

That's what I'm wearing today too. They are Lee jeans and are very dark. You would think they were regular navy pants from far away. They are actually softer and more comfortable than jeans. I wear them all the time. I wish I could find some more like them.

19. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Feb 11, 2009

According to the county we can only wear jeans on Fridays...and I know my principal agrees. However, she won't say anything if you have jeans on other days. There are teachers at my school that wear jeans most days of the week and she doesn't seem to mind. I stick to Fridays unless its a 2 hour delay day and there's tons of snow and ice...then I wear jeans:)
    :p

20. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Feb 11, 2009

We are supposed to only wear jeans on Friday, but quite a few teachers wear them all the time and no one says anything. The problem I have (and I always wear jeans on Friday) is that some of the teachers wear really awful looking jeans (faded, hem raggedy, etc.) and wear a t-shirt with them. That looks SO unprofessional.
    Or they wear very cropped jeans or sometimes even overalls. And our principal ALWAYS dresses up, yet doesn't say anything about the sloppy dress.

21. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 11, 2009

So on a somewhat related note, I hate the pay a dollar/wear jeans thing. Yeah, it's only a dollar, but I don't make that much money, and if someone allows me to wear jeans, I shouldn't have to pay for it.

Man, I sound like a crabbity old woman (I am 30 now, after all)...

It just bites my butt, mostly because the teacher in my school who heads this up doesn't do much of anything else, except to come to my room every few weeks and demand $5 or $6-she doesn't come every week, when I might have a dollar with me at school.

(I just want to say-hey, you know what? All 7 of your students are on the down list this week, and all on IEP's. What's wrong with this picture? How 'bout you go help them get some learnin', and leave me alone about my jeans!)

I don't bring money to school, unless it is to pay my lunch bill, then it goes straight to the office.

Plus, they don't even know where the money is going yet. Something for the stupid wellness plan.

22. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 11, 2009

We wear jeans on Friday. Mine are always nice. I usually wear with a nice top and heels. Occasionally I will wear our school shirt and sneakers.
    However there are some days I wonder what the heck some teachers are wearing b/c they are totally inappropriate. Don't get me started on the student teacher's clothing

23. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Feb 11, 2009

I think we should be able to wear jeans on Fridays but we are not allowed to. There are people in my building who dress very sloppily and yet because they are not in jeans they get away with it. If I would wear jeans I would look just as nice. And fashion wish, cords are considered more casual than jeans but we are allowed to wear corduoroys.

24. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Feb 11, 2009

Hmmm...I have been stuck at 499 for almost 10 posts. I keep on wanting to see it hit 500 but it never does:(

25. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 11, 2009

Teacher Time Out posts don't count :lol:

I was thinking the same thing. If the only thing the dress code stated was "NO JEANS" then people could get away with wearing a lot worse.

26. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Feb 11, 2009

We can wear jeans. We gave to the United Way and the "reward" was jeans passes. I have spaced them out where if I counted right I can wear jeans every Friday until almost the end of the year. Hopefully the p will grace us with a few more passes then I know I will be ok. This week we have conferences on Friday so I used my "pass" today.

27. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Feb 11, 2009

There's no formal dress code for teachers, but most only wear jeans on Fridays along with staff t-shirts. I never wear them - I don't find them comfortable!

On a side note, one day my classes were all acting up a bit. At lunch I caught sight of myself in a full-length mirror in the staff room - I looked so shlumpy! (Needless to say, I never wore that outfit again.) I think someone should do action research to see if there's any connection between student achievement and teacher appearance. I think when I look professional, they are better behaved, and I'm able to teach more efficiently.

28. cmw

cmw Groupie

Feb 11, 2009

I would love to wear jeans but we are not allowed, even on professional days. :mad: I wish we had a spirit day when we could wear them. I have some tough classes on Friday & it would improve my mood. :p

29. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2009

I've always thought the "Jeans on Fridays" thing was silly. My thinking is that if jeans are too unprofessional for everyday wear then they shouldn't be worn at all. Saying that jeans are OK on Fridays is basically saying that it's OK to look unprofessional on Fridays.

I would be much more comfortable with jeans being fine all the time or not at all. I don't care either way.

30. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Feb 11, 2009

31. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2009

I also thought it was weird when I first started teaching. I was told that I was too dressed up for a Friday and that it's okay to dress in jeans on a Friday. A veteren teacher told me this. So, since then, I wore nice slacks and skirts Monday through Thursday, and Fridays are nice dark wash jeans. I think dark wash jeans look way more professional than the lighter colored ones. I wear a really nice top with the jeans and high heeled boots. Someone last week was shocked to see me in jeans because she never noticed that I wore jeans on a Friday.

32. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

Feb 11, 2009

We NEVER can wear jeans! And I teach Kindergarten!!!! I would be so much more likely to break out the paint and easels if I could just wear jeans instead of nice slacks!!!

33. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Feb 11, 2009

we wear jeans on friday also, but there have been a few days that are not friday, that I wear jeans, like if there is a snowy day or a really slushy day, it is like my way of saying waahh I do not want to be at school today :)

I think that how a teacher dresses is directly correlated to how they feel and how they teach. A teacher who dresses really sloppy - I think tends to teach sloppy. JMHO

34. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Feb 11, 2009

oh, and a teacher who dresses more nicely, I think she probably teaches more effectively

35. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2009

We are trying to convince our P to let it be every Friday, but he only goes for what usually amounts to every other Friday when the whole school has Dress Down Days. We can never wear jeans on other days.

36. Kase

Kase Companion

Feb 11, 2009

I love where I work because we're able to wear jeans and tees everyday. The infant teachers are able to wear scrubs obviously due to the fact of spit up and slobber.

37. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 11, 2009

I don't see anything wrong w/ a nice pair of jeans, as long as they're not faded out, ripped, w/ holes, or just look disgusting like they need to be thrown in the rag bag.

I always pair mine w/ a nice top/sweater & nice shoes or boots & accessories.

My district allows it on other days besides Fridays.

38. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2009

I have never worn jeans to work, ever. Nor would I.

39. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Feb 12, 2009

This. I've always thought that those teachers who are going to get messy: early-childhood, art, special ed, etc. should have more latitude in what they wear. When I student taught in kindergarten, we could wear jeans on Friday, and that was always when we did the messy art. At my last pre-k job, we could wear jeans everyday, and almost every day I did some messy, squishy, fun art project. I didn't wear jeans everyday, and it was amusing when I was the only one wearing a skirt or nice pants, but my whole wardrobe is washable, so it didn't much matter. But I can understand people who have "nice" teacher clothes don't want to get them dirty.

40. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2009

I'm wearing a pair today (and I probably only wear them once a month), with a nice grey turtlenect and black blazer. I woke up this morning with a terrible headache,and an eye that is throbbing and watering (because of stress, I know). We are having torrential rain today (the third day of rain in a row) and are expecting wind gusts to 80km/hr this afternoon. I feel like being in my pyjamas--jeans is my compromise.

41. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Feb 12, 2009

I only wear jeans on Friday's (or on Field Trip days when I taught Elem. school) because we have a dress code for the teachers.