Jealousy

Discussion in 'General Education' started by fuzzybunnie, Jul 13, 2008.

1. fuzzybunnie

fuzzybunnie Rookie

Jul 13, 2008

I have been blessed with a school volunteer who decided to make it her good deed for the year to help me spiff up my class room. In addition to helping me completely reorganize my books and materials (I am organizationally challenged, so it was a big help!) she bought me a $500 teacher station, a $200 reading circle rug, and a $300 desk. :wow: Now I have a fabulous classroom which looks much more, how should I say it, polished, fancy, well, expensive, than any other in the entire school. School hasn't even started and already I'm hearing jokes about the desk and comments like "I wish I had friends like you." I have been responding, "she bought those things for the classroom, not for me."

I've only been in the school a year and so far I get along with most of the teachers, but there is some jealousy because I got my Master's degree from a big name school and one of the teachers who has been very cool to me actually said "You act like you think we're stupid." :( (This came while doing editing work on our WASC documents.) Actually I respect and admire this teacher, but I haven't been able to get that across. I'm worried that this situation will create more bad feelings.:unsure:

Any comments or ideas would be very welcome.

3. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 13, 2008

I, too, would be jealous but at the same time so excited for you! How exciting to get some free stuff for you room and to get organized! I would be very envious of the organzational piece. I seem to be lacking in that department! The only time you see the top of my desk in during the summer when I am not there!! ;)

Congrats on the new stuff for your room!!

4. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 13, 2008

wow, I'm jealous too. j/k. You are lucky to have a volunteer to do that for you. But have you considered that the volunteer may think thier child is going to get favortism by you now that she has done so much for you?

As for the coworker you should go and discuss this with her. Simply say "I really respect and admire you as a professional, but it concerns me that you feel I treat you and others poorly. Is there anything that would change your mind?"

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 13, 2008

My husband has commented that I have to be careful with my classroom as it will make other teachers jealous. Even though I got all my books and 'stuff' through my own efforts (blood, sweat and tears....), it's still a lot and can be overwhelming to those who don't obsess about their job. I know I get jealous of other teachers, too-I think it comes with passion for our career and the drive to be the best (isn't that what makes us good?). The trick is to not let it show, or use it in a positive manner. My former team teacher and I were always challenging each other to become better and better. I'm sorry these teachers aren't seeing your room as a positive thing, and using it to inspire them to make their rooms as beautiful, or their writing as nice. Hang in there!

6. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 13, 2008

Do you know for sure it is your degree that is causing jealousy?

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 13, 2008

I am wondering how the other teachers found out that this school volunteer was buying you things?

I am also wondering since you are telling everyone that it was bought for your classroom, will you be leaving these things behind if you switch grades or school?

I did have a parapro. donate $500 to my classroom but she did it through the school. She told me about 3 months after we worked together what she did because she noticed that I was still spending my own money (the school didn't tell me :().

8. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jul 13, 2008

I agree with Erin. I don't think anyone would care where you got your graduate degree unless you have been inadvertently dropping names or flaunting school colors.

When combined with the posh classroom you now have, I can only imagine the simmering resentment this could foster. When people are envious and resentful, they'll find any number of reasons to dislike you even if you haven't been dropping names.

I appreciate the fact that the volunteer acted in good faith and that she was truly motivated to help you reorganize your room ... but spending $1000 on your classroom while ignoring all of the others ... yes ... I can see where this would lead to a certain amount of resentment.

Another teacher could take the position that if he/she had a classroom that was even more disorganized that yours used to be, then he/she would have been "rewarded" with all of the things you now enjoy.

I am sorry to say this, but I think it was a mistake to accept such a generous gift.

From the viewpoint of team spirit it would have been better if this $1000 had been split among your grade level or school.

9. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 13, 2008

I would take the high road. Life isn't always fair... they need to get over it. However, you do need to just let things roll off of you. Don't really go into detail about your volunteer's generosity. Joke lightly about it if/when the time comes.. such as "Yah, now onto my house." Seriously, should anyone get jealous if you were to have been awarded a grant and they weren't?!? NOPE! Enjoy your new "digs", keep organized, and don't let anyone tarnish this wonderful gift.

10. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2008

Well said.

11. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2008

Ditto!

I know it hurts to hear things like that- I have put a lot of work & $$ into my classroom, and thankfully most of the people I work with are very nice about it.

12. 1stGr8

1stGr8 Companion

Jul 13, 2008

Wow- I feel like we went through the same thing! When I first started, I was given a beautiful rug, beautiful easel, new desks, new everything. I was given a lot of great things by the school. BUT in the past, the new teacher always got whatever nobody else wanted. So people were mad at me that I got all of this, when I didn't ask for it, didn't do anything for it, rather it was just simply given to me! The best thing I can tell you to do is don't let them bother you. If you get upset, and talk about it, it will fuel the fire. Just let them be jealous, they will calm down eventually. 3 years later I still hear comments from time to time about how unfair it was for me to get such great stuff...but I just let it go. Good luck!

13. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Jul 13, 2008

Well said.

14. fuzzybunnie

fuzzybunnie Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

Thanks you all for your feedback. I realize that some of the bad feelings are my own fault because I was so exited about the teacher station that I told everyone about it. It is actually not uncommon at our school for occasional very generous donations to be made in this way. It had never happened to me though, and I was very exited. Then the other stuff started rolling in and I was overwhelmed with the generosity of this person and expressed that. So I was I admit somewhat injudicious. Similarly with the school--just talking at lunch in the faculty room about something that happened in graduate school and I didn't really think it was a big deal, but I saw some teachers kind of stiffen up and realized that it sounded like I was bragging. Obviously I need to do add some reflection time before I start my mouth wagging.

As for the volunteer--she has no children in the school, so there's no pull for favoritism. We serve a population of low income mostly immigrant families near a very affluent neighborhood so we attract quite a few personal and corporate donors. The students live in some dismal surroundings, so it's a wonderful thing for them to come into a bright, new, well-organized classroom, which is what the donor had in mind. Also, yes, I will leave the furniture and materials behind if I move on.