Jazzing up my poetry center

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by lotusblossom, Sep 3, 2008.

1. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Sep 3, 2008

My kids do center rotations for 20 minutes each, and I am not doing guided reading yet - just training centers and working out kinks.

I'm noticing that my poetry center does not quite keep kids engaged for a full 20 minutes.

Currently the center consists of: a pocket chart w/ the poem in it, pointers to read the pocket chart with, a couple smaller copies of the poem, some turtles they can act out the poem with (it's a poem called 10 Turtles), a laminated copy of the poem with sight words or digraphs missing that they can fill in, and paper, pencil and markers to illustrate the poem if they want.

To me, that seems like a lot of choices!

Why do you think it's not engaging?

3. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Sep 4, 2008

Too easy?

Too hard?

They don't really know how to use the materials?

Not a sense of urgency (why it's important for them to practice it)?

4. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Sep 5, 2008

Hmm...could be all of the above, actually! Now that most of them have memorized the poem, is there a fun way for them to mix up and play with the words?

Is there a way to create a sense of urgency/meaningfulness in the center?

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Sep 6, 2008

Do you have the sentences cut up where they have to put all the words in order?

I have nothing on poetry, sorry I am not too helpful. I am impressed by the sound of the center though.

6. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Sep 6, 2008

Yes the sentences are cut up but surprisingly they don't seem to care to move them around and manipulate them! They just like to use the pointer. The center usually morphs into a game of "school" by the 7 minute mark.

7. prinjess82

prinjess82 Rookie

Sep 7, 2008

I have the same concept in my poetry center a pocket chart with cut up sentences. But even though i am only in the second week i have about 7 poems the kids can choose from. I did nursery rhymes and then bear poems for our bear unit. Maybe having more poems could help. the kids may be "bored" with the one poem. Also, i have noticed that my ones that understand the center enjoy it more. The ones that don't know how to read or don't take the time to match the strips to the poem get frustrated and fight. It may take being in the center with them, and guiding them how to work together. giving each child strips, reading the poem, searching for that strip, etc. Good luck!

8. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Sep 7, 2008

Ooh, great advice, and I have a week to do that, so maybe I'll spend tomorrow in the poetry center.

I just added this poem:

My name begins w/ the letter ___
    I'm very proud to say
    And I can tell you 3 more words
    That begin the very same way!

(No I did not write this so I can't take credit)

I threw in a bunch of picture cards I made and of course letter cards. Hopefully they'll enjoy this more than 10 Turtles, but I did leave 10 Turtles in there just in case :)

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Sep 8, 2008

Sounds good! Let us know how it works out.