January positions?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by scienceRN, Aug 8, 2010.

1. scienceRN

scienceRN Rookie

Aug 8, 2010

I'm currently in an alternative certification program and plan to finish and take the 8-12 science TEXES by december. I've been told that a lot of districts will be hiring at that time for January starts. Is this true? Why are districts looking for January starts? And should I try to apply and get my name in their minds before I get my certification?

3. whyowhy116

whyowhy116 Rookie

Aug 8, 2010

Unless there is a odd occurance (such as a teacher moving/quitting etc) there aren't usually full time positions posted mid-year, but thats not to say that you shouldn't submitt resumes. You'll find lots of LTS opportunity for that timeframe, which are awsome to fill out your year & give you added experience while looking for you "home"! I graduated midyear as well, and subbed and searched out the LTS opportunites. The glut of postings started in May thru July, with interviews peaking now.

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 8, 2010

What area of science will you be qualified to teach? If it's biology, the need is not as great (but there are still going to be some openings). If it's chemistry or physics, than you'll have a lot more opportunities.

Are you looking to teach in Dallas ISD?

5. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 8, 2010

I would say there may be some LTS positions opened in January but probably not many full time positions unless its a year-round school. Not sure if you have those in Texas though. My boyfriend graduated in Dec and he just subbed and then got a full time position this year for the school year. He subbed almost everyday so it was pretty good and extra experience. Good luck :)

6. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Aug 8, 2010

Not sure why there would be an abundance of teaching positions in JANUARY. Teaching contracts go until June. And like someone said before me, unless there are teachers moving or taking maternity leave there really can't be a guarantee or possibility of jobs at that time. Not only that but breaking a contract mid year can have dire consequences for teachers so I wouldn't count on that either.....

Sorry to say but I highly doubt you will get hired in Jan. Instead, I would start subbing that way you can get to know various schools, districts and principals.

7. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Aug 9, 2010

Now I am certified in special education added a credential and finished last december. I had two job offers and three interviews by mid-january.

so it can happen.