January, looking ahead

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by RedVac, Nov 28, 2010.

1. RedVac

RedVac Rookie

Nov 28, 2010

Trying to get caught up with planning so I am not stuck with it over Christmas break. What are your plans for January? I like to talk about winter, Jan Brett-looking for some fun ideas you have done in the past during this cold month.

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Nov 29, 2010

Have you been to Jan Brett's website? She's got a ton of good activities there.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 29, 2010

I usually do snow/snowmen, winter clothing (hats, mittens, scarves, boots, etc), and winter animals (penguins/polar bears)

Some of my favirite activities...

read The Mitten, and act it out... on Jan Brett's website, she has masks as well as pictures of the animals... I've put the aanimal pictures on index cards adn done a large mitten out of bulletin board paper, the kids get to hide "in" (behind) the mitten when their animal is called. They LOVE it. There's also a song you can sing.

sensory table... large blocks of ice (iceburgs)... freeze water in plastic shoebox containers or milk jugs, etc. They don't melt a lot right away, so I put them back outside or in the freezer and they last for a week or more. I usually put toy penguins and polar bears in with them. Snow is also fun, if you have any where you live.

Paint with ice cubes... make ice cubes with a little food coloring in them, make them out of liquid watercolors, or use plain ice cubes with some powered tempra. They look SO COOL and are a geat way to learn about ice (cold, it melts, etc)

Fingerpaint using shaving cream mixed with glue (equal-ish parts, you can experiment)... this makes puffy paint and makes FANTASTIC 3-D "snow" on a mural. I usually have the kids make the background first, then we add to it snowmen, snowflakes, etc.

Paint "winter trees" using discarded christmas tree branches, or do bare trees with q-tips dipped in white paint. Both look awesome :)

Does ice melt differently if it's put in different locations? Predict what will happen if you put ice cubes outside, by the window, in the closet, by the cubbies, in the fridge, etc... then find out! What will happen to snow if you bring it inside... and what if you take it outside again?

There are some starters :)

5. missg86

missg86 Rookie

Dec 6, 2010

I was just about to suggest that! My kids LOVED acting out The Mitten! We made the masks, laminated them, and put them on popsicle sticks, then the other children act as the grandmom or the boy, and two children hold the "mitten" up (normally a white sheet).

I usually video tape it and then we watch it later on if we have an indoor recess day!

I've also done painting with toothbrushes, black paper, and white paint- they dip the brushes in and then flick the paint off the bristles with their fingers and it makes it look like snow!

I love the idea about the large blocks of ice in the sensory table-- seeing as I just got one yesterday from Donor's Choose, I'll have to try that one out!! :)

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 6, 2010

Try painting with salt. Put enough salt in some water so that it does not disolve. Paint with it, and the water will dry, leaving a salty shiney picture.

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 6, 2010

ooh, cool! For shiny pictures, we've painted with food-color-tinted corn syrup. Great sensory finger-painting experience... I've let kids use Q-tips or toothpicks if they're really sensative to the textures. We made eggs or jelly beans with them last year, but you could use it for most anything.

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 6, 2010

The corn syrup pictures, if kept in a warm room, like my town....will re melt.....

If your preschooler is really dedicated to the project and gets good drops on there....they will slide down the paper and onto the floor.

I love that project....just a side note.....

9. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Dec 7, 2010

I need to start incorporating more math into my curriculum so I'll probably do something with The Mitten and use the parachute to recreate the mitten and see how many of the kids we can fit in before it explodes and do a lot of snow related activities with measuring etc-- we'll do snowmen and snowflakes--maybe my theme for the month will be "let it snow"

10. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Dec 12, 2010

I love these ideas. I was thinking of a snow theme too when we come back. And the mitten idea is excellent!! Many of my students cannot sit through books, but if I have them getting up and having to become part of the story they would have to listen :) Also, my friend gave me this idea this week. I was gunna try it this week with me preschoolers. You can have an inside snowball fight. Get a bunch of lufas and have the kids wear their gloves. The kids pretend the lufas are snowballs. So excited to introduce them to this game!!

11. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Dec 12, 2010

For the Dramatic Play area you can make a fireplace out of a cardboard box and have winter clothes for the students to dress up in, plastic hot chocolate mugs, etc. or make an igloo/snowfort out of a cardboard box and spread out a white sheet and use cotton balls on the floor as snow.

Texture table: real snow from outside, instant snow (you can buy it), and cotton balls

Science: melting, sorting things that are cold and hot

Art: painting with q-tips, cotton ball collage, drawing with glue and then putting white sparkles or hot chocolate over it, drawing with white chalk on black paper, making snowman sculptures out of play doh, using packing squiggles to make a snowfort

Blocks: snowfort

Manipulatives: snowman matching game, snowman sorting, sorting pom-poms into muffin tins/pie pans with tweezers.
    Don't Break the ice game
    Woodworking: sugar cube snow scluptures

Songs: Let it Snow!
    S-N-O-W Cheer/Chant
    Stories:
    There was a cold lady who swallowed some snow
    Snow Day
    and other winter related stories

Gross Motor:

Let it snow! (put cotton balls in a parachute and the kids shake the cotton balls)

Writing corner: write with glue and then sprinkle hot chocolate or glitter on it.

There was a Cold Lady who Swallowed some Snow
    Activities:http://www.teachingheart.net/oldlady.html

12. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Dec 17, 2010

For a cheaper version to use as snowballs try newspaper or tissue paper and maybe old rolled up socks.