Jan Richardson

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by readteach2, Oct 14, 2008.

1. readteach2

readteach2 New Member

Oct 14, 2008

Does anyone know who Jan Richardson is for guided reading? I have heard her name mentioned in a few different places, but I can't find any information about her online. Does anyone use her approach for guided reading? What makes her so special? Where can I find information about her? Thank you!

3. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Oct 14, 2008

There was a lot of talk about her on my daily5 yahoo group this summer. She is in the process of getting her new guided reading book published by scholastic. She was selling pre-print copies, but then had to stop because scholastic was going to be printing it. It's due out this spring. I have the pre-print copy and it is amazing. It breaks down which skills you should be teaching at each guided reading level. She also has a unique plan for guided reading sessions that includes a short word work session and guided writing at the end.

4. lancastl

lancastl New Member

Sep 29, 2010

I, too, am looking for more information on Jan Richardson's guided reading plan. Someone posted that they have a copy of her lesson plan/ skills plan. Where can I get more information about her? The Internet has not given much.

5. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Sep 30, 2010

Buy her book- well worth the $20.
    It's called the Next Step in Guided Reading. She has different lesson plans based on different reading levels.

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 1, 2010

My district is reading The Next Step in Guided Reading by Richardson. It is an easy read and offers easy to follow ideas.

7. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Oct 5, 2010

Richardson

Thanks for starting this thread. I have not paid attention to new materials for too long. This has motivated me to get her book.

8. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Oct 5, 2010

I LOVE Jan... I have attended several of her trainings and have her book. This is what I think makes her plan so amazing: the lessons are 20 minutes, but are packed full of important skills. The students review 3 sight words, get an intro to the book, intro to vocab in book, read with teacher prompting for decoding and comprehension, discuss, do 4 activities with a new sight word, and do a word work activity. Day 2 they do guided writing after reading. It takes a lot of time to get the timing right, and it's not for everyone, but I love it. I love that we can cover a book in 2 days! We just started using her plan last year at my school, but felt that the kids made so much more progress than in previous years.

I had two students last year that started the year at a DRA 4 and 6... I was able to get them up to a DRA 30 by May! My principal sat me down the other day and asked me what I did with those two students, and as I told her, I think it's this approach to guided reading.

I have sent some of my lessons to some AtoZ users in the past, hopefully they have found them helpful... if you want some examples, PM me and I can send them to you.

9. Ladybug Teacher

Ladybug Teacher Companion

Oct 5, 2010

I second the book mentioned above. It's been really helpful this year!

10. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Oct 5, 2010

This sounds great, just what I've been looking for.