IXL Question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Obadiah, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Dec 28, 2019

For teachers using or familiar with this company's online programs, what is your opinion of IXL?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Dec 28, 2019

Sending you a pm

Obadiah and Tired Teacher like this.
  4. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Dec 29, 2019

Our entire school of 800+ student use it. It is very effective when the teacher is engaged with the program too and not just allowing students to use it without any teacher's guidance.

5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Habitué

Dec 29, 2019

I think it may depend on the GL you are using it. I used it for a lot of yrs. Some kids were very motivated by the virtual prizes. I'd put it on "Real Time" to make sure kids were not wasting time or stuck. If they miss a Q, the instructions pop up when you scroll down. Some kids will not bother looking at the explanation and example even and move on to the next Q. I think it is best used when the student knows how to do the skill, but needs to practice or review. I would not recommend it as an introduction to a skill! :).
    Also, I am not sure if you know this or not, but there is a magic number in the 90's that takes slower learners a long time to get to. ( I think it is 92-100. I don't remember exactly.) If they miss 1, it sets them back more.) I can't start conversations yet, but if I can help you w/ anything specific, you may be able to start 1 w/ me.

Obadiah likes this.
  6. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Dec 30, 2019

Agreed. It is a great tool for the classroom. It can also be a great way to pull small groups or to differentiate. The trouble is that I think sometimes people view it as a substitute for good teaching when it is just one of what should be many tools.

Obadiah and Tired Teacher like this.