I've lost hope

Discussion in 'General Education' started by meeper22, Aug 9, 2011.

1. meeper22

meeper22 Companion

Aug 9, 2011

I have honestly lost hope in ever becoming a teacher.

I've passed all the FTCE exams, I've taken the required coursework, I just never got a chance to get a job as a full-time teacher.

I've been a substitute teacher for 2 years, going to enter a third year...nothing.

And apparently everything I've done as a sub doesn't matter.

So yeah, that's it, I'm through cause I can't put anything else more for my statement of eligibility without getting a job which no school is giving me a chance. So bye.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

Are you willing to move to another state?

4. kimberlyalice

kimberlyalice Rookie

Aug 9, 2011

Don't give up, it's a new year! Have you tried your local private schools? I was a sub for my local district and was hired as a classroom teacher. It took getting a "interim" position for a teacher on maternity to get the offers. Anyway, you should go to your local private schools and ask to get on their sub list, there's a listing here: www.fcis.org
    Our school hires our subs when positions open up and for some reason the district hires them away from us, too. So we are always short on subs. Good luck!

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 9, 2011

What are you certified in? Could you add an endorsement to make yourself more marketable? Also consider moving to another area or state. I have friends who graduated with me in Florida six years ago and only got a job last year. The market is very frustrating in Florida. Don't give up!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

Have you posted your cover letter here? It may be as simple as changing it so someone is interested enough to call you in for an interview.

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2011

I'm a bit confused - what more do you want to add to your SoE? If you completed all of the exams and course work, what else do you need?

Also - is it possible for you to move within the state? I know there are still jobs in my county and another one nearby.

8. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 9, 2011

Number 1 rule is to never give up!

Have you tried to teach out of state?
    Teach for America?
    Get a job as a teacher assistant so then you are aware once openings in a school are available?
    Have you been on Teacher-Teacher completing job searches?
    Have you taken resumes to schools? Then followed up with an email to the principal?

If its meant to be it will happen! Hopefully you can rekindle some hope to hang in there.

9. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 9, 2011

I echo what others have said. It took me 3 years to finally land a full-time teaching job, but I also relocated to a new state. (I know that's not an option for everyone.)

Good luck!!! :hugs:

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 10, 2011

So, what are you going to do? Get a job in retail, customer service, food service, etc.? Are you going back to school to study another field?

I've been a sub for a LONG time. That's just how it worked out. Was briefly a special ed teacher & I do NOT want to go back to that. I'm now back in school studying something else, but I could still work with kids in the school setting.

The thing I hate about having a degree in education is that you're so limited unless you want to be a teacher that is. Yet, we do the same yrs of schooling as everyone else (4 yrs for BA/BS, maybe another 2 for MA/MS).

11. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Aug 10, 2011

I know it's hard, but don't give up. I subbed for two years in one state, then four more after moving to a different state. I was a highly sought after sub...I had frequent long-term assignments. I just couldn't find anything full time. But eventually, it happened. For me, it happened right around the time I was ready to give up. I had interviewed for the 3rd time in the district I subbed in the most, and had received another rejection letter. I told my husband I was done, I couldn't work there anymore....and two days later I got a call offering me a job (same district). Keep believing in yourself!!

12. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 10, 2011

I am sorry. I know it is hard. I subbed for about 2.5 years and then I decided to get an additional endorsement in a high need special education area in order to up my marketability. Working as a parapro. might be an option. I did this when I decided I didn't want to do another year of subbing and it is what lead to me getting my SPED endorsement and full time position.

13. Joy

Joy Cohort

Aug 10, 2011

I have subbed for the past two years and will be starting my third this fall. I know how you feel but I think something will work out eventually. You just have to be patient in this economy. I have alot of teachers you request me and I have alot of days already lined up to sub. I just haven't found the right job yet but I'm sure that I will. It can be tough but stick in there.

14. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 10, 2011

Many people that I graduated with (in 2007) still don't have a job. Unfortunately, it takes time in education. I'm sorry you're going through this. I really can't imagine subbing for that long. :( If you really want to teach, though, stick with it.

15. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 10, 2011

True statement.

16. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 10, 2011

How the heck do you pay your bills ?

Keep trying. I think something will happen for you..

I thought I would have to sub all last year but then the magic call came the Friday of Labor Day weekend. Then another offer came in October, which I had to turn down.

17. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2011

I know someone who graduated in May 2008 and never got a teaching job.......she just got a job teaching 5th grade 2 days ago!!!!!!! It's not too late and don't give up if you truly want to teach.

18. mb_teacher

mb_teacher Companion

Aug 10, 2011

My friend tried for 3 years. Subbed and worked as a volunteer in the schools. She FINALLY got a job for this year.
    She hit the ground running every year and did whatever she could to make her name known.

Don't give up!!

19. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2011

One of my best friends subbed for 2 1/2 years (she had graduated in december) and finally started looking out of state and found a job right away. Are you willing to relocate? I can't say the market is "good" anywhere, but it is certainly a whole lot better in some areas. I graduated in 2010 and was fortunate to find a job right away (although it was several states away). I was one of only 3 in my program to find a job, we were all out of state, and I was the only one who kept my job for this year. One of the same girls who got a job last year just got a new one (again, out of state). Another girl finally got a job in our home state, but she took a multiple disabilities position! We weren't trained or licensed in that area, so I wonder how she's going to hold up with that. Anyway, my point is the people with the most success that I've known have relocated. I knew going into college that I'd have to relocate, but for me it was worth it.

20. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Aug 10, 2011

Hang in there! Just like the other posters say, there are a lot of ways to make yourself more "marketable"... and they gave great ideas. Keep trying!!

21. meeper22

meeper22 Companion

Aug 12, 2011

I guess you all have a point. I think I'll just stick with finding a job in private schools.

Is anyone familiar with the Broward County Private School Association in Florida? Does anybody know if that's a legitimate association or not?

22. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Aug 12, 2011

The Florida market stinks. It took me two years to find a job and I have been on pins and needles each year wondering if I had a job. You should consider moving. Do not give up if this is something that you really want to do. What areas are you certified in? If it is just Elementary, you need to diversify.

23. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Aug 12, 2011

I work in Broward County and have never heard of them.

24. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2011

There are jobs in Florida. My county in Central Florida still has 69 jobs posted and teachers go back Mon.
    Good luck!

25. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Aug 12, 2011

Make sure you don't have a case of tunnel vision.

If you severely limit the area in which you are willing to work, I don't care what you do, you probably won't find a job.

Where are you willing to work right now? A specific school in Florida? A specific district in Florida? A specific county in Florida? A group of counties there? A group of states? Anywhere?

Don't limit your options and then complain about opportunity.

26. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Aug 12, 2011

South Florida and Central Florida are two different animals in both working conditions and job availability. It is not so easy to pick up stakes and relocate in a state where job security is non existent. I understand her tunnel vision.

27. kimberlyalice

kimberlyalice Rookie

Aug 13, 2011

No, haven't heard of that, but if you go to fcis.org you will see a listing of private schools in Brevard (or did you say Broward?!) Also, you can try www.nais.org - National Association of Independent Schools - and after clicking around for job listings, select Florida for openings. If I were you, I'd stop by every private school in your area and drop off your resume and cover letter to the receptionist. In the cover letter, I would mention that you are eligible for your certificates in such and such area as soon as you get a full time teaching position and that you are willing to sub until you find the right position. Our private school needs subs, as I stated before, we hire ours or they get hired by the local district.