I've got a Smart Board..............Now what?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MWMnElmed, Jul 24, 2007.

1. MWMnElmed

MWMnElmed Companion

Jul 24, 2007

Does anyone have any good websites for Smart Board media. I tried the Smart Board web site, but could not download the file to my home PC that allows me to open the files on their site. I will be teaching 4th grade and any websites or files that could be shared would be appreciated. Thanks you guys are great.

3. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 25, 2007

I have a Promethean ACTIVboard :sorry:

4. shantroy

shantroy Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

I'm a SMART Certified SMART Board Trainer. I love hearing about teacher's who have got SMART Boards or who are getting SMART Boards.

I'm never heard of anyone having a problem downloading the software, unless they are on a protected network. If you go to the SMART website, click software downloads (lower right hand side of the page, under quick links) then click on the link for the SMART Board Software (choose your operating system) then follow the prompts.

SMART's education website is a fantastic resources for educators. It contains several hundred premade lessons that teachers can download free of charge. You can search by grade level, subject or cirriculm standards. On the education website they also have SMART certified websites that have been pre checked for use in classrooms. As well, try googling SMART Board lesson plans or any similar thing. It will bring up hundreds of hits. Some of the UK websites have some awesome content.

If you want you can have your students download at home the Notebook interactive viewer. This will allow students to view any material you create in SMART Notebook, but they will be unable to change any of the content. It's an awesome way to get students reviewing at home. The SMART Software is free-ware so there is no licensing agreements or cost to downloading it.

If you, or anyone else, has any questions about SMART products (SMART Boards, sympodiums, Senteo etc.) please let me know! As you can see from my rather long post, I love the boards and wish that every teacher everywhere could have one. I'm always happy to help out.

5. sharon122

sharon122 Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

SmartBoard

You are so lucky!

6. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

LUCKY! I'm DYING for a Smartboard! I'm always using my projector with a remote mouse and it's KILLING me! I'm also one of the few 'techy' teachers in my school (in a school full of technology...go figure) and none of the others know what I'm talking about :(

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2007

8. liveTHEdream

liveTHEdream New Member

Jul 25, 2007

You would be amazed at what you can find if you google "SmartBoard Lessons".

I had difficulty myself downloading lessons from SmartTech. I was unable to download at school, but I could from my house. I think it had to do with the district firewall.

9. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

I will have a "Star board" in my room, but they have not yet been installed. We had a little mini-training session and will have a more in depth training the week before school. I am so excited about this technology! I hope you can find more info for your Star board!

10. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

I am completely jealous! We had one SmartBoard in our school this year, and our instructional technologist was awesome and made sure that anyone who wanted it would get it for at least 2 weeks. In addition to using it for some great lessons, I really liked it for the day to day stuff like posting our agenda for the day, my "morning message", homework, and notes for our interactive notebooks. It was just so much nicer than an overhead! The kids loved using it to do math problems. I wish I had spent more time learning all of the cool aspects of it. We have at least one more this year, so hopefully I will get a chance to use them more!

11. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jul 26, 2007

I've got a smart board

Do you have any resources for grants to get smart boards???:woot:

12. shantroy

shantroy Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

No resources for grants sorry. Plus I'm located out of Canada so what I would have probably wouldn't apply. If I ever come come across anything I'll post it though...(My dream is to see a SMART Board in every classroom!)

13. I want to TEACH

I want to TEACH Companion

Jul 26, 2007

I am soooooooo jealous! :D

14. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jul 26, 2007

Smart boards

Yes that is our dream too, Shantroy...........:cool:

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 26, 2007

The teacher next door to me just won a SB!! Good for her! I'll share this info. when I see her again.

I however, am NOT the owner of a SB... :( ...

16. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 26, 2007

I helped my mentor teacher get a Smartboard. She got the last couple days I was there. It was sad to leave it!

If you conduct a research project, you can get a smartboard. I really, really want to do it. I'm just afraid I'm going to overload myself with my masters classes and other new things I'm taking on in my class, now this. But I really want to do it!!! Great deal!!!

http://smarterkids.org/research/index.asp

17. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 26, 2007

Congratulations on your Smart Board! Once I'm in the classroom, if I am not automatically provided with one (HAH! Fat chance!), I plan on writing for different grants to pay for one!

18. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

We have a SmartBoard on wheels in our library that we can check out, so I'll access some of the info.

In our district, we have a program called Strands, where you take X number of hours of technology staff development training and get a piece of equipment to use in your classroom. I took a 30-hour "Digital Field Trip" course last summer and got a digital camera, and I just finished 18 hours this summer to get a document camera.

I WISH they would add SmartBoards :wub: to the list of available goodies!

19. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 26, 2007

Ooooh, Ottermom, I want a document camera (or Elmo), too! You are gonna love yours!

20. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Jul 27, 2007

I love my SMART Board! When I need lessons, I either use the smarttech website or will just google SMART Board lessons. Also, I love using powerpoints on it.

21. shantroy

shantroy Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

One of the sales women in my office just sold a SMART Board to a teacher who desperately wanted one, but the school wouldn't provide it for her so she bought one of our demo models out of her own pocket! That's dedication coz those babies aren't cheap!

22. MWMnElmed

MWMnElmed Companion

Jul 28, 2007

Thank you all for your responses and thank you Miss Kirby for the link to http://smarterkids.org/research/index.asp the site has a lot of ideas for incorporating the smart board into group projects. Does anyone know of a website with pre-made power point files for teaching with a smart board, or other sites that would offer ideas for group projects intergrating technology. My classroom will be an eMints class room, with one computer for every two students, I know this will provide for awsome learning, but I want some ideas to get me off and running. After you stop hating me for having a smart board and the computers for the students, could you help give me some ideas for the eMints intergration?

23. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2007

Last year I got a smartboard and a document camera and just love them!! Here are some sites to check out. Also google elementary power point presentation and you will find a ton. Just keep searching.

Elementary PowerPoint Presentations
    http://www.graves.k12.ky.us/powerpoints/elementary/

Jefferson County Schools-PowerPoint Presentations for a wide range of subjects
    http://jc-schools.net/ppt.html

PowerPoint Resources-Language Arts, Pre-made resources
    http://208.183.128.8/la/activities/pptresources.html

Lee’s Summit, PowerPoint Resources
    http://its.leesummit.k12.mo.us/powerpoint.htm

PowerPoint Slide Shows Available for Download
    (scroll up or down for additional computer tech resources)
    http://www.internet4classrooms.com/o...t.htm#download

PowerPoint resources for Presenters
    http://www.presentersresource.com/index.html

Download Free PowerPoint Backgrounds and more-Brainy Betty
    http://www.brainybetty.com/sitemap.htm

PowerPoint Backgrounds for Teachers-Brainy Betty
    http://www.brainybetty.com/K_to_12_p..._templates.htm

PowerPoint - Creating Classroom Presentations-Education World
    http://www.educationworld.com/a_tech/tech/tech013.shtml

24. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2007

25. MWMnElmed

MWMnElmed Companion

Jul 28, 2007

Thank you so much for all of the links. Is your classroom an eMints?

26. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2007

No it is not an eMints, Actually I have never heard about that. Please tell me about it!

27. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2007

eMINTS — enhancing Missouri's Instructional Networked Teaching Strategies — transforms elementary classrooms into places for learning where teachers and students use multimedia tools to better understand the world, work together and achieve at new and higher levels. eMINTS evaluation has been recognized as meeting the requirements for the U.S. Department of Education's “Scientifically-Based Research” outlined in No Child Left Behind. Research has shown that learning at home is a critical key to student success in school. The student links in this site are provided for instructional purposes. It is my desire to help parents develop incentives and expertise by raising parent awareness of the curriculum and teaching/learning strategies.

I found that online while trying to figure out the benefits of a smartboard. What can you do with them?

28. MWMnElmed

MWMnElmed Companion

Jul 28, 2007

This is the best part, I'm really not sure yet. This is my first year teaching in this school. I will go through training for the first four months of school to learn how to use the computer in the classroom. But, there is one computer at each desk and two students work at each station. So, I can incorporate tech into any lesson I want and allow the students to work in groups of two in the classroom. I just need some good ideas of how to incorporate tech into reading, math, soc. studies etc.

29. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2007

I use my SB for United Streaming, editing, powerpoint presentations, and DWL.

30. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2007

Can someone tell me how a document camera works? Thanks

31. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2007

awesome list! many thanks!!!:woot:

32. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2007

Mable you're welcome!

A document camera is kind of like an overhead but you do not need to make transparencies. What ever you put under the camera shows up on your screen in full color! I even zoom it in a do my science experiments under it so the whole class can see it at one time. Once I made salt crystals and zoomed it in so close you could see every tiny speck. Really cool!

33. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

I use my Smartboard everyday, BUT I hear about this website and downloading ed. lessons etc. -what is the site address and how do I do this???? I am too embarrassed to ask the tech. person at my school. Thanks!:rolleyes:

34. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2007

This sounds really neat! I wonder how I am going to talk someone into purchasing one for the school...:rolleyes:

35. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jul 29, 2007

smart boards

WOW, we are sooo behind here......... I am envious:eek:

36. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jul 29, 2007

smart board

Think of it this way - a good tech person should have already TOLD YOU....:)