I've finally had it...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by ifightaliens, May 21, 2009.

1. ifightaliens

ifightaliens Rookie

May 21, 2009

I could deal with the crazy kids. I could deal with the apathetic administration. I could deal with the ridiculous demands of the superintendent. I could deal the work, low pay, and lack of respect.

It was the scars prominently displayed on the new girl's arms that made me decide that I don't have the ability to do this anymore.

I just sat for about a half hour during my prep on the verge of tears. Suddenly making up tomorrow's vocab test just seems a lot less important.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 21, 2009

Do you have any background info on this girl? What do you think the scars are from? Abuse? Cutting herself?

4. ifightaliens

ifightaliens Rookie

May 21, 2009

She's the NTA's adopted daughter, and they have a close relationship. From what I can glean from the little I spoke to her today, she used to have a really rough home life, and the wounds were self inflicted.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 21, 2009

It's desperately hard somedays, isn't it? The fact that the scars impacted you so greatly speaks volumes--you are the kind of teacher this girl needs.

6. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

May 22, 2009

If she can show them and not wear long sleeves all the time it suggests that she has done a lot of healing from that period in her life.

Self injury is a greatly misunderstood problem and far more prevalent than you may realize. One of the most beloved people in the world was a REALLY bad cutter into her early 20's..... Princess Diana.

Self injurers are motivated to do it for a variety of reasons, but it really boils down to a lack of coping skills and injury is a coping method for them. It's not that they are masochists seeking pain or that they desire to die, instead it's the exact opposite.

Care, compassion, and non-judgemental love along with a good therapist are the things that will help her through this. I'm with MrsC, you are what this young woman needs. Talk to her about it and simply listen to her, what you don't say will speak volumes to her.

7. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

May 22, 2009

Wow. I didn't know that about Princess Diana. This little girl needs you to show her about diligence and how to continue pushing on. While you may be thinking about how horrible things are that she has gone through. Also think about how fantastic it is that she has come so far in her short little life.