I've Decided....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cutNglue, Aug 30, 2008.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 30, 2008

A classmate of mine paid me a compliment and it got me thinking.

I think I'm gonna go into next week gushing with compliments. My new teachers and I haven't gotten off to a great start. I need to minimize the "helping suggestions" and work on building the relationship. So as boring as these teachers are, rather than suggesting activities...I think I'm gonna comment on how much the students liked a particular activity and want to do it again (giving specific comments if I can). I'm gonna tell them I like whatever tiny detail I find. Operation Repair Week.

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2008

I love your attitude! Let's spread the love!:wub:

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 30, 2008

Good luck, cutNglue. It just might work.

5. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2008

I think thats an excelent idea. I had a really bad experience at my last school and my principal has done nothing these past two weeks besides compliment me and I really feel a lot better and a lot more confident. I feel like she could tell me things I need to work on and I won't feel so bad.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2008

Great idea!

I have a very negative mentor and I had a lot of issues last year. About April I realized that no matter what I do, she will not approve. So, I just let it go in one ear and out the other now. But, had I had someone that gave compliments as well as guidance/criticism, I likely would have had a much happier first year!

Note: everything is subject to criticism. Hurricane Fay dumped over 12 inches of rain on us earlier this week. After 2 days of getting my hair ruined and turning into a giant frizz ball, I pulled it up after I got out of the shower the other day (it was still raining). I got "your hair is wet!" me: "yeah, I am not bothering to do it for it to get ruined again." her: "you could have at least dried it." me: "for it to get wet again? I didn't want to waste my time." I then walked away.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2008

Way to think positive!

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 30, 2008

Sounds like a plan!

9. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Aug 30, 2008

i feel this way about my principal now.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 30, 2008

Let's start over and kill them with kindness. :)

11. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 31, 2008

I think that is great idea. I'm sure things will get better in time.

:)

^^ Side note... is this really what a mentor is for? I mean honestly, who really cares if your hair is wet? I have done that several times because I was in a rush. It looked fine.

The best thing my mentor could tell me was that I should outline my homework in colored chalk. I laughed and never listened to a word he said after that. In one ear & out the other!

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2008

I get this about EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!! She didn't like the way my room was arranged (U-shape). Well, I do! She thinks I used the wrong thing to hang posters on my wall- Nothing has fallen. She thinks I need to be more strict with some things (like 2 points off per misspelled word even in math)- well I don't and the kids are terrified of her and excited to get me. Honestly, nothing escapes her criticism. I had a meeting with my P (we all did) prior to the school year. I told her I was coerced into doing things that weren't me because every idea I have (had) is (was) wrong. She told me to tell them (my whole grade level) that it is OK because P said so! :)

So, again, compliments are such a good idea. New teachers (or at least I did- wonder why) always fear they are doing everything wrong. They will screw up- we all do. But, if you let them know they are doing somethings right, they will be much calmer and happier people!

13. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 31, 2008

Yeah. My mentor was doing the same thing to all the other new teachers he was assigned to. So finally mid-year we all met with the principal & then she spoke with him. I wouldn't say he totally changed after that chat but the suggestions were less ridiculous! One time he told me I walked around the room to much during individual classwork - I just looked at him & said are you serious?

I learned a lot more from the veteran teachers in my department then from him.

14. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2008

My P doesn't give compliments...not usually, anyway. Even if all the kids (in kindergarten) are standing in a perfectly still, straight, quiet line, she will ask why someone's shoe laces aren't tied...I have just learned to grin a bear it, as the rest of the staff is wonderful. I think giving out compliments is a great idea- smiles really are contagious! :)

15. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 31, 2008

New teachers need A TON of compliments!!!!

As a new teacher, I'm living off any compliment I get at this point. I'm thinking that very decision I'm making is wrong already, so when I hear compliments I think "Oh thank God! I did something right!!"

It's never too late to fix a relationship with a co-worker I think. As new teachers, I think we need a little space to spread our wings and try different methods on our own, so compliments about something AFTER we've tried it are just great! We want to come up with ideas on our own... unless there's already a method in place for something (and if there is, please let us know about it).

I recently sent my list of rules (which are three pages long lol) to the 4th grade science teacher (who is right next door to my classroom). She told me while they were really great, they were way too detailed and would have freaked the kids out. (They are after-all only 5th graders lol) So instead of letting me figure that out on my own, I can now regroup and try something different. But this only worked because I let myself ask her if she could do this for me--- she never said "Show me what you have so far" but made the kind offer "If you have any questions, just let me know."

I hope this works out well for you! I think its a great idea :)

16. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 31, 2008

Just a follow up...
    This is the reply I got back from the teacher who was kind enough to look through my rules and then check them AGAIN after I redid them...

"This looks Awesome! You've cut it down to the most important things to remember. I really like how you invite them to add to the rules. Nice work.

PS. I never mind helping a colleague. Particularly one who works as hard as you."

I want to jump up and down from excitement and cry from her being so sweet. Compliments like this makes a new teacher feel like a million bucks :)

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 31, 2008

That's really cool! It sounds like you have an awesome supporter.

18. Rockys_Mom

Rockys_Mom Rookie

Aug 31, 2008

As a fellow newbie I agree! We need as much positive support as possible. My mentor last year was great for that, my admin was NOT. Case in point. . .I got injured by a student, was in p.t. and on some massive pain killers from November-January. In Mid January I had my 2nd eval which was HORRID and was told, I didn't seem like I wanted to be there, which I was then told almost weekly by said administrator. Who would be jumping around in joy when they can't lift their arm more then 8 inches away from their body without pain???

To be honest, if it were not my respect for my mentor, I would have left at spring break, which is hard for me to admit. It was his daily encouragement that got me through it. His positives helped me through last year and to have the confidence to get my new job (which already seems significantly better). Oddly enough, one of my new co-teachers is his next door neighbor and said that he offered her encouragement all the time, even though she's been teaching almost 10 years!!