I've been thinking...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by smalltowngal, Jul 13, 2009.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2009

I was just thinking about another post where the person said there were positions in her district, but that she'd been rejected once so didn't want to apply again. This got me thinking about my own district and how they've treated me. I've subbed in this district and tutored for the state test. The first year I was looking- 0 interviews (got a job in another district_, 2nd year looking-2 interviews, 0 offers (subbed in the district), 3rd year looking-1 interview back in Jan, 0 this summer (subbed, tutored). It makes me wonder what principals are hearing about me or if there are just that many more people applying that have better connections than I do. I've thought about scheduling a meeting with the super about this, but my dh says I shouldn't "stir the pot". How else am I supposed to find out if it's worth continuing to apply for this district? I'm blessed to have a job for next year but would eventually like to work closer to home.

This was more of a rant/vent than anything, but does anyone else feel like someone is saying something that is preventing interviews/offers?

3. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2009

It does make you wonder why certain people are interviewed/hired over you. Where we used to live there were several smaller districts that I know can't have a ton of people wanting to teach there because of the stinking low pay, but I was willing just so we wouldn't have to move. Anyway I got one interview about 3 years ago but no offer. Other than that no interviews at all. I am glad that I had the opportunity to move to a place that appreciates a good teacher when they see one apply in their district.

4. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Jul 13, 2009

After a year and a half of subbing I chose to leave my "home district". Beyond the courtesy interview they give all outgoing University students, I was never given a single interview. After a year of ESL experience (when they were DESPERATE for ESL teachers) I was offered a position on the sub list... and no interview.

I decided that my home division was no longer worth my time. I toss in an application every year out of curiosity more than anything else. They keep offering me a place on the sub list. I'm a full time permanent position (but I want to be High School Social Sciences) so I applied in February. In May I got a call saying they wouldn't need me in a contracted position, but would I like to QUIT MY JOB and come back as a sub?

*rolls eyes*

Yeah right.

5. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 13, 2009

Here's my story. (yes, another one) I REALLY wanted to teach in the district where I lived. It is a great district. I applied, I called, I did everything and each year I reapplied. Finally, I stopped trying. I figured, forget it. It just won't happen because it was a situation of WHO YOU KNOW to get in. Well, when my daughter started school, I tried again. And guess what? I got an interview with HR. She was really sweet and could not understand why I had not been interviewed before. When she pulled my personnel record, she said, "Ah.... this is why." All those applications had been stock piling. And it looked like I was a big loser because my file was so thick with all the STUFF I had been sending. I don't think that would happen NOW, because of the computer age. Everything is wiped clean and you reapply. I am not sure what happens to all the stuff you send to the district. But it can't look like that HUGE file I had created. I got the job - First interview with the P and was offered the job the very next day! So, keep trying. It could happen and it WAS so worth it in the end. :)

6. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 13, 2009

Do you have any friends that work in the district that you could ask about this?

I started out as a long-term sub, then the gal I was subbing for resigned and I took over on a temporary contract. My principal said not to worry, he was going to hire me permanently for the next school year. Well, the HR supt. wouldn't give him the go-ahead to hire me. I finally had to give my P an ultimatum. (I had a job offer from another district.) Finally they hired me. It didn't happen till the 2nd to last day of school, and they could have hired me in April. To this day, I have no hard evidence as to why he didn't want to hire me....but I have my suspicions. I student taught in that district at a different school, and my CT famously did not get along with the HR supt. So I think that's why, but again, I don't know for sure.

Another girl long-termed for several schools the past few years, including mine, and she was fantastic. Fit in with the staff, good classroom management, parents liked her. But I suspect that she was overly valued as a long-term sub. She'd been trying to get a job w/ my district for 3 years, but my P just hired her last month.

I don't know...are there any principals that you have a good rapport with? Maybe you could pick their brains a bit.

7. smalltowngal

Jul 14, 2009

Erin~I have a couple of friends in the district; however, one of them was not on the interviewing committee. I will probably email a couple of more once it gets closer to school.

There are no principals I can talk to. I guess I'll just keep trying and see what happens.

8. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

I can completely relate STG.

I was told specificallywhere I student taught years ago NOT to apply to that particular district to sub.

All the teachers claimed that they had a hard time finding quality subs. The P would rather keep the sub rather than hire them full-time. I'm glad they told me before I "wasted" my time.

9. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 14, 2009

I know this is frustrating stg. I know that in my home and neighboring districts, including the one I work in, you just won't get looked at if you don't work in the district in some permanent capacity, eg aide or sub(that works regularly) and you need to be in the hiring building. It's also frustrating because A. most admins/supers won't make time just to meet with someone not employed in the distrct and B. they can't discuss why you aren't being hired because of liability. So, I say if you really want to work in your home district, you must get a full time aide or sub position so the P really gets to know you.

10. smalltowngal

Jul 14, 2009

I've thought about that jw...being an aide in the district. It actually pays pretty well.

11. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 14, 2009

I think I was valued too much as a sub. I subbed in one district for two years. I did multiple LTS, maternity positions all the while being told "Oh just wait till you get done." "Hopefully you'll be here." "Can't wait till you apply." You get the point. In the end, I got not one single interview in this district. I applied in a different district got an interview and was hired by the end of the week. I knew not one single soul. Flash forward a year. Budget cuts=me out of work. District I subbed in is suddenly calling me left and right for interviews no offers but it does make you wonder.

12. smalltowngal

Jul 14, 2009

Well, I applied to a few aide positions in the district. Two of them are in a school where I've been interviewed before. The pay is actually good for an aide. It might even equal out to what I'd be paying in gas back and forth to the teaching position.

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 14, 2009

You have to do what is right for you. I still hope a teaching position pops up right in your own backyard and they just call and offer it to you. No interview necessary.:)

14. smalltowngal

Jul 14, 2009

That would be awesome, SC!!

15. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 15, 2009

STG,

Did you turn the other job down?

Good Luck!!

16. smalltowngal

Jul 15, 2009

No, I accepted the offer and turned in my contract on Monday.

17. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 15, 2009

Congrats!!!

Everything happens for a reason. i know it may not have been your first choice, but I believe (so does everyone else here) that you will be a fantastic teacher!!

Please keep us posted!!

Very good things are coming your way!!! You deserve it!!!