I've been thinking about getting a Masters in Accounting

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2011

In the perfect world, I would be going for my geology degree. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I'll be able to get it. I need to be realistic here.

So, I've been looking online at the university in the town we are moving to in a couple of months and have been looking at their masters program. The only one that really popped out to me was their accounting program.

Since I like working with numbers and so forth, I thought, this would be great for me.

And, I won't feel like I am stuck working for just one entity. For example, there's not much you can do with a liberal studies degree. You're kind of stuck working in the field of education. But, with an accounting degree, you can work for government, local, regional, private, or non-profit organizations.

I'm still trying to think of the cons though. Why should I not go for it? I just don't want to feel stuck, like I do now with my liberal studies degree.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 25, 2011

Peachy~Did I miss something? I didn't know you and hubby were moving. Y'all did just move into a house right?

I say if you want it go for it!! Can you get a masters in it if you don't have a bachelor's? An accounting degree would open up more doors for you in the long run, and you could still work for a school district in their business office. Good luck!

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2011

Yeah, my hubby got a job in a town about 3.5 hours away from our town. Yeah, we just moved into our new house (oh, about a year ago) after working on it for nearly 8 months. :rolleyes: He got a great job, though, so we can't pass this up. OH, and i'ts in a gorgeous town by the ocean.

And in regards to the masters, no you don't not need to have a bachelors. But, it also depends on what you are going for. If I want to get a nuclear engineering masters, then I would need to have some strong background and a bachelor that is closer to that field.

I looked up the requirements for this program at the university and all it involves is a bachelors from any university, letters of recommendation, and passing of this one test.

But, that is a good question. I had to double check that too when I was looking into accounting. :)

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 25, 2011

My husband has his accounting degree. He does NOT enjoy accounting work. He doesn't like the cycle that restarts every month. He also prefers problem-solving type tasks. Every company he has worked for in the accounting depart has 3 weeks of 8 to 5 work and 1 week of 8 to past-midnight work every month.

Now, he works on the IT side of accounting and is MUCH happier.

Just something to consider.

He has always said the best accountants he has worked with are the ones that are really good with detail (he is more of a big picture type of person).

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 25, 2011

What would you need to be a business mgr for a school district? Our bm was a classroom teacher and now makes serious big bucks in the admin office. Might be a nice way to keep your hand in Ed.

7. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jan 25, 2011

Peachyness, in today's climate I can't see having a BS in geology would buy you much .... but I'm talking specifically in the field of "oil exploration." Things change .... but I've seen times when a BS in geology would bring in a lot of offers...... and times when a Masters in Geology would not attract a lot of attention.

When I received my Masters in Geology (a long time ago) it was worth gold.... but times have changed.

During my corporate days (when I was in a senior management position) my company paid for me to get an MBA.... It really wasn't that difficult .... and paid off handsomely in later years after I retired from the corporate world at a very early age.

Would you consider going for an MBA? Think about it...

Major.......:):)

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2011

I'll have to look into an MBA. I'm pretty sure my university offers it, but I'll need to look into it.

Would having a geology degree take me away from my new home town? I want a job that will keep me local. I found an online program through Oregon where I could pursue something similar to a geology degree. It's a great program. I just don't know....

Hmmm, I guess I'm on the fence here. Hahah, argh! The problem is, I have too many options. I'm too open to too many things.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2011

That's what I've actually been thinking about. Getting a degree in accounting and working for a school district or for the county of ed. Now, you guys got me thinking about MBA.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2011

So, I just looked it up and the university does indeed have an MBA program. And, they specifically say that you do not need an undergrad degree in it to pursue the masters. So, that's good to know. That does seem like a good plan. So, that's another degree that I will definitely look into and think about. Thanks for the idea guys! :)

11. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jan 25, 2011

What would you want to do with a degree in geology? I grew up in Texas....... Then Texas was about OIL .... All I wanted to do was be part of oil exploration.

It's NOT a bad thing Peachyness to have LOTS of options.... Have you taken any career aptitude tests? They might help you focus on a path. Maybe you are multi-talented..... and can pursue many different fields....... I've been a soldier, geophysicist/geologist, manager, investor, and financial advisor ........ plus a few other things..... I loved each and every one. If you haven't had a career aptitude test....... schedule one.... It just might help you focus on your "first career." There's LOTS of opportunities in life......:hugs:

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2011

Do you know, by any chance, the various district office jobs one can obtain with an MBA degree?

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2011

Oh Peachyness, I don't know what to suggest, but I just want you to find happiness in whatever area you pursue. :)