I've been out sick all week!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2009

I haven't taken a single sick day in the 3+ years I've been at my school. This week, I've taken two! And I'm about to take a third! :(

I'm utterly miserable. I have a double ear infection. The pressure in my head (sinuses), is killing me. It feels like I'm going to have a stroke every time I move my head a centimeter in one direction or the other. Even my teeth hurt! Literally! They feel like they're about to be sucked up into my head. Weird explanation, I know, but it's how they feel.

I went to the doc first thing on Monday and got a prescription for a liquid antibiotic. Because this antibiotic is unusual (or something), my pharmacy didn't carry it and didn't know any other pharmacy that did. They had to special order it for me and I had to wait until today at 2 PM to pick it up. I hope it starts working soon.

In the meantime, I don't know what to do about my ears and head. It's to the point that I just want to cry--and would do so except that it would hurt too bad. I've tried taking Tavist D, ibuprofen, Extra Strength Tylenol, and Mucinex....None of them worked.

I feel awful for missing school like this during the SECOND WEEK OF CLASSES.

Ugh.

Thanks for letting me whine.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 1, 2009

If what you have is a sinus infection, Tavist probably won't do much good: it's an antihistamine, and antihistamines work well for allergies - but a sinus infection is something entirely different.

To help your wretched sinuses drain, you might try some bog-standard over-the-counter Sudafed.

4. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Sep 1, 2009

I hope you feel better Cassie! I get nailed with an ear infection at least once a year, but mine usually hit in the spring. I always end up going to the doctor because they get so bad. Rest up! You are in no condition to work! On our third consecutive absence, we have to call the P, rather than just put into the sub-system.

5. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2009

I hope you feel better! I know how you feel about sick days though. I wish I could say that I haven't used any sick days but with my son being sick so much I barely have any hours left at all!! I'm going back tomorrow and hoping that my son will be okay at daycare!

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2009

Yikes! Feel better soon!

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 1, 2009

Aw, hope the antibiotics kick in soon and help you feel better.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2009

That's the thing! My sinuses feel basically clear! I can breathe pretty much fine through my nose. I feel like all the gunkiness is in my throat (sorry for that imagery). I've had pharyngitis before, and this feels like that, but the doctor specifically looked at my throat and said nothing about that. He seemed to indicate that my entire problem is with my ears.

In any event, I'm going to try the Sudafed. It was next on my list of things to try anyway. :)

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2009

Thankfully I have plenty of sick days--42 last time I checked. Make that 40 now. 39 after tomorrow. :(

My main concern is that next year's personal days are tied to how many sick days we take this year. Since I've taken two (and am about to take a third), I'll only get a max of 2 personal days next year. Teachers who don't take any sick days get 5 personal days the next year.

10. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Sep 1, 2009

Oh Cassie! I'm so sorry to hear that this happened to you!! Feel better soon.

Odd question, but I have my reason: is it a lot of pressure, and do you almost feel like you're hearing things from underwater (i.e. muffled, kinda far away)?

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2009

I'm sorry Cassie and hope that you feel better soon.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2009

Yes and yes.

13. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Sep 1, 2009

Ok..when you went away, did you fly? I had an incident years ago when my eardrums retracted (per the doctor). He said it can happen when we fly, change altitudes (like going up mountains), when their are drastic changes in temperature and humidity. I got it because it was January (cold and snowy) and I was working in a tropical butterfly exhibit (high temp and high humidity). You might want to have your doctor check and see if that happened to you. It's been so long that I don't remember much, but I think the old airplane trick of holding a cup with a damp washcloth in it over my ear helped a little. Good luck!!

14. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 1, 2009

Cassie - hope those drugs are kicking in right about now!

I know what you mean about your teeth hurting - that's how I can tell I'm getting a sinus infection. The roots of my teeth are too close to the sinus cavity - it's not fun. :mad:

Don't worry too much about missing school. Although I think that's unfair that your personal days next year are based on your absences this year :confused:

We had a teacher on our grade level out today and it was Open House, no one was upset or anything, we get sick-we're human. Hope you are able to get some R and R.

15. TeaRoses4M&D

TeaRoses4M&D Rookie

Sep 1, 2009

Hope your feeling better soon!

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 1, 2009

It's true that sinus infections mostly coincide with a stuffy nose, but I don't think they absolutely have to. A sinus is basically a hole in your skull with mediocre to poor drainage - this makes it a bacterium's idea of a really lovely neighborhood in which to settle down and raise kiddies by the billion.

17. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Sep 1, 2009

Hope you feel better soon!

18. preschoolheart

preschoolheart Rookie

Sep 1, 2009

If your ears are really painful, you might try lying on a heating pad- I find that's the only thing that really helps with the pain when my ears are bad.

19. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 1, 2009

Big hugs, hope you feel better soon.

There are years when you'll use sick days and then when you don't you'll be so thankful you have been blessed with good health you'll really appreciate it.

20. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 2, 2009

Sorry you feel so rotten. I hope you feel better soon and that your sub(s) were wonderful and kept the kids in line and your room neat!

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2009

Take good care of yourself--hope you start to feel better soon.

22. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 2, 2009

I am right there with you!! I have that same mess!! It started Sunday with the sinus headache but now it is the irritating cough. My chest hurts from all of the coughing, my head still hurts, too. Thank goodness my doc called me in some stuff. I went to school yesterday but I'm calling in today, too. I think I got 4 hours of sleep last night. I know it was after midnight and woke up at 4 coughing and have been up ever since.

I hope you get to feeling better.

23. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Sep 2, 2009

:hugs: Hope you feel better soon!

24. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Sep 2, 2009

Hope you feel better, too, SpecialPreskoo!!