IT'S TIME!! Need Gingerbread Help!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by scholarteacher, Nov 24, 2012.

1. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Nov 24, 2012

A to Z friends--It is now a 5 year long tradition--this week my kindergarteners will hear the first of many Gingerbread Man stories and will each make a little Gingerbread Boy or Girl, which will run away to points unknown! This is where I need your help. If you can help us, please post a brief reply, tell us a little snippet about your little corner of the world, and let us know where you spotted our little characters! Example: "I live in NYC and saw one atop the Empire State Building." That kind of thing. My students will track the responses, learn about each locale, discuss the geography and climate of each, write letters and news bulletins, compare various gingerbread stories, do gingerbread math, etc. Thanks in advance for help!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 24, 2012

I live in NJ...the gingerbread man danced to a Bruce Springsteen song, helped push some sand to create new dunes at the shore, watched the Giants football team play in the Meadowlands, and brought in the last of our cranberry harvest before waving goodbye and heading off for more adventures!

4. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Nov 24, 2012

I'm in AZ. The gingerbread man sunbathed by the pool(since we are still in the 80s) and ate some ice cream before running up north to visit the beautiful Grand Canyon.

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 25, 2012

I was wondering what had my friend's horses all riled up today! They must have taken them for a quick ride on their way to Mt. Rainier in Washington State.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 25, 2012

Those gingerbread persons really get around! I overheard one asking for directions to the San Diego Zoo so he could visit the newly named baby panda there. I think his next stop was going to be the beautiful Mission San Juan Capistrano up the coast, but that's far enough away that I hope he's taking Amtrak California's Pacific Surfliner train.

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 25, 2012

Wow, those gingerbread men move quickly! I saw them here in Wisconsin hanging out with the many deer hunters that were out this weekend. They had their blaze orange hats and camo vests on, and were excitedly watching the first snowflakes of the season fall!

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Nov 25, 2012

From Wisconsin to SW Ohio! On this stop those lucky ginger people got to see bicycles and airplanes built by the Wright brothers! They also saw the Miamisburg mound and on a slight detour east saw the Great Serpent Mound. For a snack, they had some yummy Esther Price candy.

9. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Nov 25, 2012

The gingerbread men rode horses through the cornfields in the Land of Lincoln to the city of Chicago. There they took a ride on the famous EL train, which was decorated for the holidays. (There is a special Holiday Train). They rode around the loop, hopped off for a Chicago style hot dog and some deep dish pizza. Then they visited "The Bean" (cloud gate) and The Art Institute. They took some time to do some shopping on Michigan Avenue and State Street before continuing on their journey.

10. scholarteacher

Nov 25, 2012

Thanks, everyone! Keep 'em coming!

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 25, 2012

Those little guys are getting around! They were spotted in the crowds getting ready for the Grey Cup game (Canadian Football League championship) in Toronto on Sunday afternoon. They must be neutral fans, because they were wearing Toronto Argonaut jerseys and cowboy hats to support the Calgary Stampeders.

12. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Nov 25, 2012

The gingerbread boys and girls have landed in NYC, just in time for the holidays! I spotted them at Rockefeller Center ice skating and posing for pictures under the tree! Then I saw them heading up to the tippy top of "Top of the Rock", way above the streets below! I hope they aren't afraid of heights!

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 25, 2012

Here in south Texas, they were in my pasture playing with the fawns in the brush. They fed the cows some cubes (cow candy) and chased the cottontails and jack rabbits with my dog. When it got dark, they lay in the grass admiring the stars in the sky until they heard coyotes howling in the distance, and then they took off running.

14. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 25, 2012

They have been everywhere! I saw them enjoying the Texans football game! They were sure warm when they visited Houston.

15. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Nov 25, 2012

From Texas to lovely Florida! I saw them here in Gainesville this afternoon riding back in to town on the University of Florida football team's bus! Woohoo! Go Gators! They played Florida State University last night in Tallahasee (our state capital) and won! Our football team which plays at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium at Florida field is 10-1 and looking forward to playing in a New Year's Day football game!

16. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Nov 25, 2012

The ginger folks were here (the desert in So Cal) to play in our sand dunes and to eat fresh romaine lettuce out of our fields. They stayed for the beautiful sunset and then off they went (but not to greener pastures).

17. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Nov 25, 2012

The little gingerbreads have been busy! They hitched a ride on a pontoon boat to a spoil island clean up in South FL. I watched them listen to a lecture about the Intracostal waterway, pick up trash, plant baby mangroves... and one little guy was even helping to cut down an invasive Brazilian pepper tree! Later, I saw some petting a manatee in the shallow water.

When I left them at the dock, they said they were on their way to take a tour of the Navy Seal Museum.

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 25, 2012

TG, after they visited San Diego, they stopped by the Central Coast! They decided to head over to Pismo Beach where they went swimming. I heard one exclaim, "YIKES! This water is cold!" Poor gingerbread man. They decided to drive up highway 1 and see Morro Rock. Their favorite food to eat was the clam chowder.

19. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 25, 2012

You wouldn't believe me if I told you!! I was skiing down the Rocky Mountains in Alberta, Canada and caught a whiff of something delicious. I couldn't believe my eyes! It was the gingerbread man shredding down the snow covered mountain on a snowboard. It was a spectacular sight!

I'm glad that he runs very fast as I'm sure that someone at the bottom of the hill would love to catch him so that they could take him into the chalet and dip him in some hot chocolate.

20. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Nov 25, 2012

I just came back from Cleveland, Ohio where I saw the gingerbread men touring the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. One of them mentioned taking a boat on Lake Erie.

21. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Nov 25, 2012

G-men in NC

I spotted several gingerbread men cheering on the Tar Heels at a recent basketball game. I guess they couldn't find jerseys small enough so they had covered themselves in Carolina blue icing. You could say they have "good taste." :p

22. scholarteacher

Nov 26, 2012

You guys are awesome! What a wonderful representation of places across the nation and beyond! Keep em coming!

23. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

Nov 26, 2012

I had to look closely, but I'm sure I saw a gingerbread girl this morning here in Whitehorse, Yukon. She was all bundled up in warm winter gear, headed over to the Canada Games Centre for early morning skate practice, I bet.