It's the little things that make this all matter...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by AZKinderTchr, Sep 13, 2006.

1. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Sep 13, 2006

Last week was tough. 12/18 children failed their math test. I spent all lunch time crying because I was immediately convinced that I was a bad teacher. I know you have all been there.

Today I got the following email in my inbox at the end of the day. Isn't it families like this that make us get up every day? I feel blessed and thought I'd share it with you.

I hope I find you in good spirits on this wonderful day. I just
    wanted to let you know what a blessing you have been in my son's life. He talks about you quite often. I'm pretty sure he's in high spirits about winning his first baseball game last night. I wanted to thank you for finding the time to talk to me regarding his school work. I also wanted to know if he is requiring tutoring in anything? Is there anything we need to focus on more? Please feel free to email or call my cell phone at ANY time.
    You may not have family here, but I'd like you to know that you are welcome in this family. Thanks for all you do.

God Bless you,

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2006

This brought a tear to my eye...I had this family last year and they moved to a new school which opened in the area. Be sure to keep that email and read it when it's a bad day. We do make a positive difference in the lives of our students and their families--we just don't get reminded of it as often as we should.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 14, 2006

That is just beautiful. Good for you.

5. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Sep 14, 2006

Things like that are great. They always seem to show up when you need them most. Cherish it!

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 14, 2006

Always keep that letter. I got upset when I realized I had 3 D's and 2 F's on a Social Studies test today. We all have those very difficult days, yet keep those uplifting notes in a very special place always. :)

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 15, 2006

I have a file in which I keep all positive letters from parents, coworkers & administrators. I keep a hard copy of the email. It helps to have in one place to bolster spirits on a difficult day & to remind you of why you do this!

8. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Sep 15, 2006

That's awesome! It brings it all into perspective as to why we do what we do! :love:

9. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Sep 16, 2006

This reminds me so much of a family I worked with when I taught in VA--they knew I was a first-year teacher and they knew I had moved from NY and had no family in the area. Not only were they so supportive of my classroom but at each holiday, they would ask what my plans were, extending an invitation to join their family at their house if I was not traveling home to NY. Also, when I broke up with my VA boyfriend and was considering moving back to NY, they offered to let me move into their spare room because the house market is crazy in the area. I ultimately chose to come back to NY, but have an open invitation for dinner with them any time I am in their area, and I still have contact with their son through e-mails. I was so grateful to have a family like that my first year--you're lucky too!!!

10. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Sep 16, 2006

Yea, you!