It's the last weekend before Christmas

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 18, 2010

Let's see what's on the agenda:

- I want to meet Alicia today to drop off the things people have given me for her. Of course, with the laryngitis I have, I don't want to stay with her too long-- she does NOT need to be near the germs I'm carrying with Chemo starting on Monday!!!

- I have to finish packing the exams. Actually the last set I have to do is her class.

- I need stocking stuffers, and gifts for the 2 kids across the street. (I'm getting the 7 year old girl a snuggie from Justice, and the 9 year old boy maybe one from Target since they're in the same mall. Otherwise,it's Kohls for his-- unless I happen across something I think he'll like better.)

- I want to pick up a ton of candy!!! We drop off trays (need them too!) for the fire house and police station on Christmas Eve. I also need some for stockings, and some for goodie bags for Tuesday's religion class.

- Laundry, laundry, laundry.

-Kira probably has a Book It due Monday.

- I have to go to the Supermarket and get the rest of Christmas dinner (sweet potatoes, munchies, cinnamon rolls for breakfast, dessserts), and something to bring to my sister's for Christmas Eve.

-After Monday's half day, I have to wrap about 6 or 7 gifts. The vast majority are all done though.

All in all, I'm in good shape. Yesterday I had to pick up some Theraflu, so while I was in Target (I had exactly 15 minutes to get in and out) I also got some snowmelt in case Sunday's storm materializes.

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 18, 2010

Busy day Alice!

Let's see on my agenda...

- clean bathroom
    -put away the boxes that had the holiday decorations. We decorated two weeks ago, the boxes are still in a mess in the family room
    - vacuum the downstairs
    - dust downstairs
    - go to Borders to use my $5 off reward and get my next book for my book club
    - make 3 dozen Oreo balls for the second cookie exchange I'm in this holiday
    - make some kind of cookie/treat with my kids that they will give as gifts to family
    - buy some tins/containers to put those cookies in
    - laundry, laundry, laundry
    - get my son a couple small gifts from 5 Below
    - wrap a few more gifts
    - buy chocolate melts from the craft store so that I can make the Oreo balls
    - today drop off and pick up kids from the winter rec program that they'll be at from about 9:30 to noon.
    - tomorrow go to mall at 1pm to see the "performance" group from dd's dance studio do their holiday performance. She's not in the performance but knows some of the girls and wants to go and see them. For the record, heading off to the largest mall in the area the last Sunday before Christmas is not something I'm thrilled at all about. The things we do for our children LOL!

It's a long list but several errands can be combined. Like when I drop the kids off at the morning winter rec program I can stop on the way home at both 5 Below and the craft store and then make the Oreo balls once I am back.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 18, 2010

OH, and sometime this week I want to see if Target has their New Years Eve in a box-- blowers and hats and stuff.

One year I waited until New Years Eve, and there was nothing left.

I'm not normally in the stores for the first few days after Christmas, so if they're out this early it would be great to pick one up.

5. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 18, 2010

Wow, do I feel behind. I have yet to wrap one single gift. I also have to buy my husband's gift (need my son to help, and coordinating the time has been problematic), I haven't made any candy yet, I have gift cards to pick up, cookies to bake, and of course, a house to clean and laundry to do. My break started at the end of school yesterday, and I am recuperating from the flu, but still! I have to complete a knitted purse by Christmas Eve too! What have I been doing? And why am I not panicking? Holy cow, I have to buy stocking stuffers too!

6. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 18, 2010

We are having a party tonight so I have some cleaning to do and errands. Food is being catered.

Hoping to finish my shopping - have to pick up lotto tickets for a grab bag gift

7. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Dec 18, 2010

*baskeball this morning
    *lunch with a friend
    *shopping with my duaghters
    *daughter has driving school
    *Football tonight at the Cowboys stadium

It is a full one!

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 18, 2010

My weekend will be busy too, but now that school is done, the pressure for some things is off. However, the things that need to get done on the weekend are:
    - hair appointment at 11:00 for cut, colour and highlights (long overdue)
    - finish decorating
    - clean bathrooms
    - wash kitchen floor
    - bake 3 or 4 kinds of Christmas cookies
    - host my sister and brother-in-law for dinner tomorrow
    - Lauren has soccer games this afternoon and tomorrow
    - buy beer and cider for tomorrow's dinner

The Christmas shopping that needs to be finished will wait until Monday or Tuesday.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 18, 2010

Still shopping...

10. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Dec 18, 2010

Busy busy!

My weekend:

*Finish up the last of the gift certificates I need for the girls' preschool teachers and my team teachers.

*Hair appointment for my

*School Christmas party tonight

* Scrub the kitchen floor and do the laundry!!

*Brave the mall for one more gift for my mom

*Buy the ingredients for my fondue for a girls' night in wrapping party

I am so jealous of everyone that is already on break. We go until Thursday so I have some planning to do tomorrow too!!

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 18, 2010

Here's my list:
    -finish wrapping gifts
    -got paid yesterday...I can shop some more!
    -clean the house
    -practice walking...I have been given the go ahead to put weight on the foot that that had surgery 3 months ago
    -buy Christmas dinner...we bought a prepared meal from a grocery store for Thanksgiving since I wasn't walking...that was a mistake!!
    -read, read, read (for pleasure)
    -watch every Christmas movie that I can find on TV or Hulu
    -eat the most wonderful chocolate peppermint cookies that one of my mother's gifted me

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 18, 2010

I still have to get a gift for my husband's parents.

I need to get something for my mentor teacher, she unexpectedly gave me a very nice gift.

We have a WoNdErFuL chocolate factory nearby, I think that will satisfy all of them.

13. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Dec 18, 2010

This is my favorite time of year! Birthday party for DS's 18th today. Shopping tomorrow afternoon and probably on Monday if I don't fiinish up. Tuesday I will start the cookie and fudge making while watching Christmas movies. I hope to relax and enjoy some quiet time Wednesday and Thursday before the big family gatherings start on Christmas Eve. :)

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 18, 2010

Making progress

15. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 18, 2010

Great job Alice! My Oreo balls plus buying the chocolate needed took about two hours so I am taking a breather before picking up the kids from winter rec. Oh, I do have load number two of laundry in the dryer and load three in the washer so that's moving along.

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 18, 2010

I'm still trying to get in the mindset of vacation. Today is the last day our gym is open (closed for the holidays) and I wanted to make cookie baskets for our three coaches. This week has been a nightmare of unexpected 'surprises'-car in the shop, late nights for dh at the office, broken oven-so I'm finishing up the last batch of cookies right now, 10 minutes before we leave for our class. And somehow I lost my cookie mojo this year-all my cookies have been disasters. I feel totally stressed and dissapointed.

Once we get back from class, I hope to relax a little. We need to clean, clean, clean.

We have two friends selling at the Renegade craft show in San Francisco this weekend, so we'll go over there and help them at their booths for a while as well.

I need to pack Sprout orders. And photograph if the natural light is good enough (it's gloomy and rainy right now).

I want to make a poster holder, but it's raining and I'll need to do that in the driveway. We'll see if the weather clears up.

Laundry!!!

That's about it for the weekend. All I really want to do is sleep... ;)

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 18, 2010

Jem, you've had a rough couple of months.

Make sure that, in the next few days, you build in a little time to drive around and look at the Christmas lights, or to sit and look at your tree with a glass of wine.

All the other stuff will get done or it won't. You have no kids for whom YOU are Christmas, so take it easy on yourself.

I've known for years that I CANNOT bake cookies. I buy great ones, but I simply cannot bake them. And no one minds.

I guess my point is that you need to give yourself a break. Things have been stressful for you; don't let Christmas become yet another cause of stress.

18. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 18, 2010

The tree has been standing there naked for over a week, so it's time to get some ornaments on it and pull out some of the other home decor. Then I've got to organize my office so I can get through the 120 essays (plus an equal number of shorter assignments) before DD comes home Wednesday night. I only have her here for 5 days, so I want to be done with school work!

19. Going for it

Going for it New Member

Dec 18, 2010

Anyone know how to convert a practice test score for a Biology Praxis Content Exam? There are 150 questions and in Maryland you need to obtain a score of 150. How do you convert a practice score to find out how you're doing?

20. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 18, 2010

I still have three teaching days left! We go until Wednesday. So, this weekend I need to:

- prep for the coming week of school (should be pretty low key and easy!)

- laundry!!!!

- buy a few more gifts and wrap them.

- pick up my sister at the airport

- celebrate Christmas with a few friends - out for supper and a play

- pack to go to my parents' house

- depost some cheques at the bank

- mail Christmas cards!

- return overdue library items, and DVD rentals

21. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Dec 18, 2010

Things I still need to do:

make three more kinds of cookies
    finish putting bows on gifts
    laundry
    house cleaning - in-laws are coming
    buy dh's graduation gift
    buy dh's birthday gift...still need ideas though:)
    make some plans for vacation - where to eat, if we're renting a car, schedule massages
    buy ingredients for Christmas meals
    prepare breakfast quiches and freeze
    make chicken sausage
    Christmas concert tomorrow night!!
    write up lesson plans for this week and the week after break
    cocoa and movie tonight!!
    finish calendar scrapbook

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 18, 2010

Welcome to A to Z, Going for it. You'll get farther with this question if you ask it in the Examinations for Teachers forum. See you there?

23. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 18, 2010

Well, the laundry is done! I have no motivation to leave the house and complete a few more of these tasks. Today I'm staying cozy on the couch and watching Christmas movies. Tomorrow I will conquer the errands! :whistle:

24. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 18, 2010

Have a few things accomplished:

25. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 18, 2010

Thanks, Alice. It's nice ro hear that. We came home from a tough workout and have just 'vegged'. We went over Disney plans, ate lunch and now I'm reading on the couch. Dh just opened his Christmas gift-I just couldn't wait and it was HUGE sitting in the living room (no tree or decorations this year, so it looked a little odd), so we might play with it a little later. I think we'll both just spend the day on the couch, watching tv and sleeping.

26. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 18, 2010

Lets see...

I have to figure out someplace to put the kids' Christmas so that it's not all in the trunk of my car. They want to go sledding tomorrow, so the current hiding place just won't work :lol:

Get stocking stuffers

Get stockings, for that matter...seems the old ones didn't survive the move.

Figure out when I'm going to do all that without the urchins finding me.

Other odds and ends and normal housework stuff.

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 18, 2010

Shopped some more today...finished with sons, mostly done with dh, husband's nieces are done...still need to get a few incidentals, gift cards for our extended family secret santas, son's girlfriend and gift cards for my nieces/nephew...sounds like a lot, but it will get done.

Heading out to a holiday cocktail party in about an hour.

Some baking tomorrow, wrapping at night this week.

A colleague called me from Florida where her gram is dying so I'll scramble for her sub plans Monday morning.

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 18, 2010

We have an artificial tree.

This time of year, that big empty tree box, placed as always in its home under the pool table, is a great spot.

29. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 19, 2010

It rained all day today (Sat) & still raining. I went to the movies & saw Due Date & The Fighter. Tomorrow's probably going to rain all day again & I have no plans. In fact, I have no plans for the entire 2 week vacation, except going w/ my BF to his mom's on Christmas day for a while. Also, hopefully, I'll get to meet up w/ a pal one weekday for shopping/lunch.

30. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 19, 2010

Why is it, when you think you are done shopping, something pops up? My GS (the 19 year old one) has a very close girlfiend. She and her 1 year old son will spend Christmas with us. I am going to buy all 3 of them matching sweatshirts. U of O duck shirts for the championship game against Auburn.

31. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2010

Cute idea, Blue!

32. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2010

Friday night we left home around 4 to go to DE. We took a pitstop at my old department's Christmas party from my old school. It was supposed to be an after school thing for them but we ended up staying until 1030. It was great to see everyone, and made me a little sad. I just am not as close to my new co-workers.

Yesterday morning I made minestrone and we went to my Grandma's Christmas. It was fun. Then we drove back to PA last night.

Today is the day I have soooo much to do. I need to finish up shopping, which includes going to JCP to order my blinds for my house (we went a few weeks ago and the guy told me to come back this week and they would be 75% off. He saved me hundreds of dollars). I have baking to do. I haven't wrapped A THING. I also have a bunch of Christmas movies to watch. I have a few more cards to send - I did most of them but I need to do the couple for people I didn't have addresses for.

33. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 19, 2010

I have yet to BUY a single gift! [​IMG] You are not as behind as I am LOL
    I told everyone in the family that we are giving very small presents this year. I just don't have the time or money for buying and wrapping a mountain of presents. I don't get out of school until the 22nd so I will go shopping today but can't go out to the other stores until Thursday.

34. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 19, 2010

My update: cookies are baked! Gifts are wrapped-at least the ones I have already, gift cards are picked up and bagged, laundry done and house cleaned! I am half way done with the knitted purse too. My wonderful hubby and son helped me alot, so I feel somewhat caught up. My son and I are going to get my hubby's gift tomorrow.

35. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 19, 2010

We went small too. It was much nicer to wrap a few small gifts than mountains of gifts. Actually, no one really wanted much-we already have so much! We are all looking forward to the Christmas family dinner.;)

36. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 19, 2010

So.... I've done everything EXCEPT prep for school! Whoops! Hmm... what should we do tomorrow??

37. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 19, 2010

I finished wrapping gifts today. I need to go shopping for a few more stocking stuffers for DH and son, that will be a quick trip to Walgreens. Tuesday am going grocery shopping for Christmas dinner. I go to school until Thursday so Friday I will blast Christmas music and make pies and fudge. I have really, really enjoyed all the prep and shopping this year and am looking forward to Christmas day.

38. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2010

Originally Posted by Aliceacc
    Let's see what's on the agenda:

- I want to meet Alicia today to drop off the things people have given me for her. Of course, with the laryngitis I have, I don't want to stay with her too long-- she does NOT need to be near the germs I'm carrying with Chemo starting on Monday!!!Done. I picked up a small Christmas tree for her hospital room too!

- I have to finish packing the exams. Actually the last set I have to do is her class. Done

- I need stocking stuffers, and gifts for the 2 kids across the street. (I'm getting the 7 year old girl a snuggie from Justice, and the 9 year old boy maybe one from Target since they're in the same mall. Otherwise,it's Kohls for his-- unless I happen across something I think he'll like better.)I stopped at Justice, so one down.All done; see below.

- I want to pick up a ton of candy!!! We drop off trays (need them too!) for the fire house and police station on Christmas Eve. I also need some for stockings, and some for goodie bags for Tuesday's religion class.I got a lot of the candy. I still need the foil pans.I have it all in the house; I can put it together later in the week.

- Laundry, laundry, laundry. lots done

-Kira probably has a Book It due Monday.Done

- I have to go to the Supermarket and get the rest of Christmas dinner (sweet potatoes, munchies, cinnamon rolls for breakfast, dessserts), and something to bring to my sister's for Christmas Eve.Done, except the veggie platter she wants me to bring.

-After Monday's half day, I have to wrap about 6 or 7 gifts. The vast majority are all done though.

Today I hit Target and picked up stuffers for 6 stockings ( the 5 of us and Peter's mom, who will sleep over Christmas Eve and Christmas night.) and my last 2 gifts: sleds for the kid across the street and for Brian from Peter's mom.

I'm done!!!

All that's left is to clean the bathrooms, wrap the leftovers tomorrow after my half day, and pick up the veggie platter on Thursday. I still need to put together the candy platters for the policemen and firemen on Christmas Eve, but if I open the bags now all the candy will disappear. And of course Wednesday I'm grading all day long.

But I'm as done as I can be at this point.

39. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2010

Went to the store and made 2 (working on 3) of the 6 things I need to bake. Will have to do the other three tomorrow.

That's pretty much all I got done. House is still a mess. Nothing is wrapped still. I don't want to let myself get stressed - I want to enjoy the holidays. But it's not happening.

40. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2010

Finished the decorating (okay, the village isn't all set up, but it's 10 minutes from done).
    Lauren just drove my sister and brother-in-law to the bus station after our dinner.
    I'm going to finish (hopefully) my shopping tomorrow--I'll be in the mall parking lot before the stores open.
    Downstairs bathroom is done and I damp-mopped the kitchen floor (that will be fine until all the baking is done later this week).

It's all coming together!

41. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2010

Ok, so all gifts except one are bought and wrapped. I still need to get my BIL a gift. My sister just helped me out with that! We decided to only buy for kids on my dh's side and my brother's side of the family so that helped a lot in not having to buy for a bunch of adults.

I need to do laundry and pack for our trip to dh on Tuesday. We'll be gone from Tue to Fri. And I plan on RELAXING!!

Got J's room all painted and put back together.

I need to get a couple of more things for the stockings, but those can be done either tomorrow or Friday when we get back.

Alice, I think we'll start doing the candy/cookies for the police and firefighters here as well next year. Would do it this year, but we won't be here!