It's THAT time!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SCTeachInTX, Dec 29, 2009.

1. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Dec 29, 2009

:) It is that time of year again. When new teachers and teachers looking for jobs come to the JOB SEEKERS Forum and start talking about their job searches. This is a great place to bounce off ideas, to ask questions about up coming interviews, to have others look over your resume and/or cover letter, and get much needed support throughout the process. School districts will start interviewing for potential positions in January and February for the upcoming school year. For a lucky few you MAY get hired early in March. For the majority of job seekers it is usually around Mid-June through Mid-August that the vast majority of positions get filled. We are all in this together from the experienced job seeker to the newbie seeker, we are all here to support each other. So.... if you are going to be applying NOW is the time to get started, and NOW is the time to get serious. Everything from responses to dress are discussed here. And everyone has an opinion. So.... let the job hunting begin..... And to all the best of luck!:rolleyes:

3. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Dec 29, 2009

I'll be one of those job seekers. I'm finishing my last distance-learning class for my licensure in the next week or so, after which, I will be sending out resume's and cover letters.

I was fortunate enough to get an interview for a position at the school where I did my student teaching. It was a very valuable experience. I also interviewed for a tutor position in the 21st Century Aftercare program, so I feel very comfortable with the actual interview process (in this district, anyway). Still, I will definitely be looking for more tips, advice and suggestions from others during the upcoming process. :)

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Dec 29, 2009

Best of luck Cerek! I know that you will be amazing. Feel free to ask questions here. Each district has a unique interview process. There are some where you must interview at the district office first - kind of a screening process. Some districts look over your resume and send you directly to schools, and other districts put your info out there for principals and they make their own calls. From what I have seen, it is the SQUEAKY job seeker that gets the job. It is the persistent caller, the ever creative application dropper that seems to get lucky. When you are in the interview, confidence is key. Unfortunately, when you go to one, two, three, four interviews and do not get the job... your confidence starts to waiver. DO NOT let that happen. Even worse, the candidate that does not get a call back becomes anxious and begins to doubt himself/herself. Just know that even though there are a lot of qualified job seekers out there, YOU are the most qualified, competent, and enthusiastic. What you do not have in experience, you are willing to make up with hard work, determination, and a thirst for knowledge. YOU can get the job. The job market seems to be on the rise a bit... Let's help one another and use this board as a network to help people find jobs. It is ALL for One and One for ALL!

5. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Dec 29, 2009

I am looking for a job! Actually, have been since last January. ;) I'm subbing currently, and I have a friend who has a friend going on maternity leave in the district where I currently sub. I am going to do all I can to get that long term sub position (Mar-June). I'm constantly looking at edjoin for jobs, but there are very few listed...

Good luck to everyone!! I know this is our year!

6. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Dec 29, 2009

The interview I received during my internship was a great experience. It let me know what the district will be looking for in teacher candidates and it reinforced all the lessons I learned several years ago from the Job Service during a period of unemployment.

Some of the best tips I can give others are:

1. Research the job you are applying for, including the school district. Know as much as you can about the district, school, principal and expectations as possible.

2. Be confident, but not smug. If you've done the research, you should be able to answer most questions you are asked.

3. Answer all questions truthfully. If you don't know an answer, DO NOT TRY TO BLUFF! The interviewers will see through it in a heartbeat. I applied for a grant-funded job several years ago and one of the committee members asked me a question she knew I would have no idea how to answer. It must have been comical watching me struggle to create some sensible answer. Afterwards, she reminded me of the simple truism - it's OK to admit you don't have ALL the answers. If you don't know the answer to a question, admit it. Then tell the interviewer you would research that issue and LEARN the answer at your first opportunity. One of the other interviewee's for the position I applied for did this. She has her license and experience in Kindergarten, so when the Asst. Superintendent asked her to explain the "Middle School Concept", she admitted up front she had no idea what that was, but if she got the job, she would research it to learn what it meant." :thumb:

4. If you have any negative history on your resume', such as being fired, acknowledge it and move on. Most interviewers won't ask about it, unless it was recent. If they DO ask about, just give as brief an explanation as possible. Stick to the facts without embellishment and DO NOT place the blame on your former employer - even if you felt the termination was unjustified. Again, I am speaking from experience here. I had been fired from a job under what I felt was very unfair circumstances and it really ate at me. My job counselor convinced me to just put "Will Discuss" on the application under "Reason for Leaving". When asked about it, just state the official reason given for your termination, unless you feel it warrants further explanation. Even at that, make any explanation as brief and objective as possible.

5. Don't wear perfume or cologne to an interview. Jewelry should be minimal and conservative.

6. If you smoke, avoid the temptation for one to settle your nerves on the way to the interview. Some people are very sensitive to the smell and even allergic to it. Save it for after the interview. ;)

These are some of the most important tips I learned from a combination of experience and job counseling.

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2009

Good luck to you, Cerek!!!

8. Simba

Simba Comrade

Dec 30, 2009

I can't express how much it means to have so many of you here "in my corner."

I'm dreading the whole process again, but I know that I'll get through it because of all the great support provided here.

SCTeach...Thank you for ALWAYS being here for all of us.

9. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Dec 30, 2009

:)Thanks Simba! Just remember us once you DO get that job. We want to hear all about your classroom once you are out there in the real world.

Last year, I was sitting where all of you are sitting right now. I was moving to a new state. I had no contacts. And I did not know enough about any of the districts to even know the protocol which seemed to change from district to district. I had so many people saying that the job market was depressed and for every 200 teachers there may be one job. I was competing in an aggressive market and really the odds were against me finding a position. My mind started to wander and I wondered what else could I do? Teaching has defined who I am for such a long time. But as luck would have it, I not only got in the district where I live, I was able to open a new school where everyone was learning and new. It made for a happy transition. It was a fairly smooth transition for my family too.

So... here I am to support you all. Now, onto MY next challenge. We have decided to host a foreign exchange student for a school year. I have so much to be thankful for and I want to share my home and culture with a teen. Wish me luck! I will probably be on this site asking for advice. But I am so excited over the new challenge. I will also be RIGHT HERE kicking your butts everytime you feel down, discouraged, or get the stupidest interviewer on the planet earth. (And it will happen!) It felt good to help others realize their dreams last year. So, I am here if you need me... You are stuck with me!:hugs:

10. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Dec 30, 2009

It is your year Dragonfly. Just an FYI - doing a long term sub so close to the end of a school year is a very wise thing to do. You will most likely be the first one considered should a position come through. All the best to you!:cool:

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2009

For what it's worth, I've always enjoyed interviews, and I think that's helped me to do well on them. I'm OK with making small talk, and I'm pretty passionate about the job I do... I think that comfort level comes across well. So, between now and the time interviews start, practice interviewing with anyone and everyone you can. Copy the questions from one of the interview threads, and make flash cards or a list. The idea isn't to come up with a canned answer, but to get to the point where you can answer the questions naturally but completely.

12. ohteachr

ohteachr Rookie

Dec 30, 2009

I have a job now teaching 7th grade in Texas, but am planning on moving back home to Ohio after the school year is over. So, I'll be joining in on the job seeking! The job I have now sort of fell into my lap- I got very lucky- so this will be my first real job-hunting experience. I'm already a little nervous about it because I'm overwhelmed by everything that goes into it! My college gave me a month-by-month checklist when I graduated in May that I will be finding and referencing. I know I'm already a little behind and need to get moving asap!

13. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Dec 30, 2009

Thank you so much! I'm going to talk to my friend today about her friend. This particular district interviews their long term subs just as they do a permanent teacher, so I'm not sure if there will be others...or if the teacher can choose her sub.

14. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Dec 30, 2009

Oh my gosh, I am so excited! Turns out the woman that is going on maternity leave is actually someone I subbed for this month!! And it was such a wonderful experience...the pm Kinder teacher actually commented on how impressed she was with me at the end of the day and asked if I would ever like to come back, because they would like to have me! I can't believe it's the same teacher. :eek: I'm just going to hope that she doesn't already have someone in mind and that this works out for me. I know it's only 3 months...but I would be SO EXCITED to have a long term position. :D

15. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2009

Good luck, dragonfly!

16. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Dec 30, 2009

All the best!!!!!!

17. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Dec 30, 2009

I am another one of the job seekers, again. I graduated in Dec. 2008 with an Elem. Ed. degree, licensed to teach K-6 and 5-8 math. I completed a month-long LTS last May in 8th grade math, and have been searching for a job since last Dec./Jan. I had 11 (I think) interviews for jobs so far, but no offers, so hoping for lots of luck this year. I have already sent applications to one of the farthest south districts in my state and one of the farthest north districts as well!

18. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 30, 2009

Don't! I just called Cleveland State regarding their ed programs and they actually said DON'T COME. The lady was like: "I'm gonna be honest....there aren't jobs like there used to be, especially in elementary. It's incredibly tough right now so think long and hard."

Now I think you'll have better luck wanting to teach middle school, but...think long and hard! lol. Look at population trends. Texas is gaining multiple congressional seats while Ohio is LOSING one. I know teachers in all corners of the state who are struggling. It sucks here. :2cents:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  19. groisamomma

groisamomma Rookie

Dec 31, 2009

Middle School Math in NJ

I'm doing the alternate route for Math 5-8 in New Jersey. I'm getting a CE in Math 5-8 (anticipated in March), and I already have a CE in Elementary for about a year. I have nine years of math experience in private schools, and I am graduating with a Master's in September.

I need to know before I jump into this: Does anyone know how competitive the job market in New Jersey (Long Branch/Monmouth area) is for math 5-8 for teachers like me that have the math experience but not the standard certificate?

How likely is it that I will be hired with only a CE?

Any info/tips would be greatly appreciated:)

20. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Dec 31, 2009

Don't give up hope. Remember to update all your applications because many districts put "older" applications in back of the pile and newer applications on the top. So, update your application so that it appears fresh. Also, start sending out cover letters reminding administrators that you DID interview with that your are still available and would love the opportunity to interview for any new vacancies for the 2010-2011 school year. All the best to you!:)

21. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Dec 31, 2009

I am not sure what a CE is.... But I do know that in Texas it is more difficult to get hired with an alternative certification rather than going the traditional route. Having said that we opened a new school last year and two of the teachers we hired were Alt. certified. So, it can happen - here at least. But when you look at the bigger picture ... two out of 50, that makes the competition pretty stiff. But if you stand out, look professional, have experience with children, and have a positive, out-going attitude, you can do this!:hugs:

22. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 1, 2010

I'm going to be sick...

23. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 1, 2010

Why?

24. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 1, 2010

I'm assuming CE is a certificate of eligibility. I've had a horrible time in GA with a clear Florida license and a statement of eligibility from GA. With so much competition, most principals would rather not deal with somebody who's paperwork is not in order when so many others don't have that issue.

25. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 1, 2010

Because...it's that time of year again...

26. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 2, 2010

Emmakate- This is your year. You are already a lot closer to a position than you realize. Doing a long term substituting job will get you noticed. Keep your head high, MAKE FRIENDS, and have your new besties put in a good word when the positions for the 2010-2011 school year begin to post. Think of this as time as a game... one that you have every intention of winning with practice, determination, and self confidence. THIS is your year. I feel it! Can't wait to celebrate your new job! Send me an IM. Let me know what part of Texas you are in... if I hear of anything.... maybe I can help.

27. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 2, 2010

When I got my position last year I still was not certified in the state of Texas. The district that hired me told me that they expected that I would get my paperwork in order before the school year began. I assured them that I would not have any difficulties getting my certificate. Honestly I was scared to death! I did get my certification and everything worked out. So, don't discount jobs assuming that school won't put you above someone with clear paperwork. You just never know. You just have to keep putting yourself out there!:)

28. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2010

Oh, I'm confident. It's too bad that my humor can't be "heard".

29. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 2, 2010

It seems so early to be thinking about jobs....really?? I thought this job hunting stuff started in April? I wish everyone luck!! (BTW, North Carolina always has openings where I am, PM me for details.)

30. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 2, 2010

:) I hear you now.:lol:

31. DFWbound

DFWbound Rookie

Jan 3, 2010

Ok...I was lucky enough to get a job out of college last year and I am very thankful for it, however it has been a miserable year! I have a admin that barely does anything and it has been very frustrating to say the least. They say the number one cause of teachers leaving the profession after the first year is lack of admin support. While I am not leaving the profession...I am for sure leaving the school.

Anyways, I am planning on moving to DFW....I have already made contact with a bunch of people up there. There is one school district whom I email with the Director of HR quite often to touch base. I have taken my ESL supplemental in order to help me out. I also have about 10-12 friends that teach in one district.

So... Do you think with all those different contacts, my ESL certification, and a ton of training from my first year...it will be that hard?

I have prepared myself because of how hard it was last year...but I am hoping with all of that...I will be able to get back in where I was when I student taught or at least in Dallas.

Any thoughts?

32. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jan 3, 2010

Emmakate...I heard ya...

I think I "felt" it too.

I would LOVE to pay for my applications to magically be completed. I don't know where I'm going to find the time...

33. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jan 4, 2010

I'm working on job for this fall, as I did last fall. I think I need to go with plan B this time. Last year I only applied in a district I had taught in before and in the district where my son is enrolled. I've expanded my search this year and I am reading professional books, working on cover letters, and studying up for interviews.

Good luck to us all.

34. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 4, 2010

I am in the DFW area. Which school districts are you looking at? There are some that are amazing and there are a few that I (personally) would not be as interested in teaching in. I believe that the job market is very competitive in the DFW area, but finding a job is doable because so many districts are growing by leaps and bounds. Feel free to send me a PM and I will be happy to tell you about the area and districts that are very progressive. All the best!

35. Jenstc2003

Jenstc2003 Companion

Jan 5, 2010

I'm going to be heading into the interviewing process for Fall myself- but first, I'm hoping to get into a specialized transition to teaching program in West Virginia starting in the Fall. It would be an EXCELLENT opportunity for me... wish me luck! And wish me luck finding something for this Spring as well!

36. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jan 5, 2010

Hey guys. So, I emailed the teacher this morning about that LTS position. Hopefully she gets back to me! I'm really keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck to everyone! :D

37. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 5, 2010

Best of luck on the LTS Position!

38. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 5, 2010

Best of luck!:)

39. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Jan 5, 2010

Count me in. I'm one of the ones in an Alt. Cert. program in Texas. I've been able to sub alot at an elementary school, and a few times at their middle school this year. I also have a friend at the ES, so I'm hoping that they'll hire me. This district hires ACP candidates too. I've been so frustrated by the whole process that I haven't finished my coursework, so I need to get cracking on that as well as doing some observations that are required. I have passed 4-8 Generalist, 8-12 History and the PPR EC-12. I am thinking of doing a powerpoint portfolio with a video included and put all my paperwork in it to hand out with my normal resume, transcripts, etc. I did make a Substitute Card and give that to the teachers when I sub for them. I'm looking in the Ellis County and Southwest areas around Dallas.

40. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 6, 2010

I am in between Dallas and Fort Worth. We have some wonderful districts out this way. You should check them out unless you are too far. Of course I guess you need to finish your course work before you start job hunting. We hired a few Alt- Certified teachers this year at my school. There seems to be a lot of subs this year that want a job. Almost every sub that I have come across this year is certified and needing a job. I wish you all the best. The good news is that the area is growing by leaps and bounds so there will be positions and I believe my district is even opening a new elementary school... All the best!

41. beatlebug731

beatlebug731 Comrade

Jan 7, 2010

There's a long term sub position at a school that I student taught at, so hopefully I'll be able to get that. I had an interview yesterday and I should be hearing about that very soon.