It's That Mathematical Time of Year...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by S Dubb, Apr 29, 2012.

1. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Apr 29, 2012

Long division! In two weeks I'll start teaching the long division process to my third graders. Every year I wonder what kind of fun and different ways there are to teach it, and every year I end up finding nothing. I'm coming to you now, A to Z community!

Usually I'll use a fun mnemonic to help the kids remember the steps DMSBR (Divide, Multiply, Subtract, Bring down, Repeat/Remainder), but that's about as fun as I've been able to find! We'll practice the steps slowly with TONS of modeling. A decent amount of kids end up getting it, but I always have a group that doesn't. I need new ideas. Any suggestions?

:):thanks:

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 29, 2012

For the DMSB you can teach them it's Dad, Mom, Sister, Brother, Repeat.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2012

Does...divide
    McDonald's ...multiply
    Serve....subtract
    Cheese...check your answer
    Burgers...bring down
    Raw...remainder

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2012

Lots of modeling with base ten blocks and using mathematical language (there are 10 fives in 63).

6. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Apr 29, 2012

If you Google long division ppts you will find a good one that shows the Dad, Mom, Sister, Brother, Rover. My kids love this and can usually remember because of the visual connection. Then we make a poster together and keep practicing the formula.

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 29, 2012

I have used "Dr. Division"--his eyes are division signs, nose is x, mouth is -, a double chin (like two sideways parentheses) for 'double check', and a down arrow for a goatee.

I know one of our former teachers had the kids make up a little chant with motions--when I had the kids in 5th grade, they still remembered it and showed it to me!

I second mopar's suggestion of base ten blocks--manipulating actual objects really helps some kids.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 29, 2012

Let me also recommend having the kids rotate their notepaper 90 degrees, so the lines run vertically rather than horizontally: this gives them columns in which to write the numbers as they work, and can be an enormous help in keeping things lined up.

9. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Apr 29, 2012

Love the fives and tens idea! Not sure if that would be good for when the kids need to learn the actual long division process, but absolutely a good starting activity and a helping one for kids that might need more help.

Do you happen to have a link to anything Dr. Division-related? I can't seem to find anything online.

Absolutely going to have the kids rotate their papers for practice. Never thought of that! Great idea!

Thank you all so much!