It's only the third day (yikes)

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by storyh, Aug 22, 2007.

1. storyh

storyh Companion

Aug 22, 2007

:eek: It's only the third day and I have already had a mini melt down! The stress of having NO time to do lesson plans at home or at school, the one hour commute in horrendous traffic, and my daughter having to change schools has already taken it's toll on me. And it's only the third day! I am stressed out! I have cried and considered quitting. Is anybody else feeling this way after only three days?:unsure:

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2007

My commute is shorter and I don't have any kids, but I am hammered. I hired on a week before the start of school and spent most of the next week going to in-service training and meetings. Now I am trying to learn the school culture and procedures while keeping up with lesson plans for multiple preps. The good thing is it can only get easier as the year wears on. I am sure there are lots of folks in our boat.

4. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Aug 22, 2007

oh noooo! well, i cried yesterday and have not even started the school year, but i'm still going to make my attempt. like you said, its ONLY the third day...maybe you just need a little more time to get yourself into the groove of things? i'm sure i'll be feeling the same way in about a week and a half...but look for comfort in your family, they are there for you and i'm sure there are other teachers there for you as well.

5. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2007

Just keep breathing. It WILL get better.

:hugs:

6. storyh

storyh Companion

Aug 22, 2007

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Good luck to you both!

7. storyh

storyh Companion

Aug 22, 2007

And good luck to you sevenplus! Thanks for the "hug"! I feel better already :)

8. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Aug 22, 2007

I haven't even started school yet and I am stressed as hell. I haven't cried yet which is actually odd because I cry all the time. I'm trying to do things to keep my mind off of it but it's not helping. You aren't the only one who is feeling the way you do..trust me! I am scared to death!

9. SittinInATree

SittinInATree Companion

Aug 23, 2007

I so feel you!!!

I had a mini-melt down today and it is only the second day for me!! :blush:

I have cried and have considered quitting as well. I miss my old easy office job in a non-profit that paid half as much but was no stress. :crosseyed

Of course I won't quit but this will definitely be stressful.

10. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Aug 23, 2007

is this anyone's first year teaching? i know the first year can be overwhelming, but usually as you go along you create your own system and work with that in the coming years. but i'm nervous as well because i'm still waiting to hear back from 2 different places who were both impressed and have to run it by the board (private schools) and i don't know if i'll be teaching 1st, 2nd or 5th!! i wanna know because i wanna start preparing myself with lesson plans, rules, actual content area (this is my first year in elementary ed-i taught 2 years HS spanish).

so i feel the pressure with what to do and having a melt down BEFORE the year starts. i don't even know what school supplies and charts and posters and everything else would be grade level appropriate!! and i've never taught at this level so i have to prepare even more so because i'm teaching EVERYTHING! lol. guess that didn't help, or maybe it did help you to think "hmmm, she's goin through more than me, i'll be alright!" lol. either way, hope you feel better knowing others are stressin! well wishes to you in this school year.

11. storyh

storyh Companion

Aug 23, 2007

Thanks to all! I do fell your stress! And I know others do have it worse than me and I have been trying to remember that. This is my first year to have my own classroom where I am in charge of everything (attendance, grades, etc.)As I am getting into a routine it is getting better. Good luck to all.

12. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Aug 23, 2007

When things get to you, just take a step back and find the positives. You have your own classroom that you have worked hard to get. Be proud! You also have all those students there to teach and inspire. How awesome is that? You are someone's teacher!

13. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Aug 23, 2007

WOW. teach57 you've been doin this for a while huh? that just really inspired me right there. that got me kinda mushy. that saying "be grateful for what you have" is really true. you gotta work hard for some things and yea, working for your own classroom is def worth it when you finally get it. and as much as you get frustrated with all the things you have to do on your own (as will i) i'd actually get excited if i were you. someone trusted you with the school children and approximately 20 homes trust you with their child each day. so i'd be like thrilled to have to do all that stuff!! i agree with teach57-YOU'RE SOMEONE'S TEACHER!! you get to grade, come up with your own grade system, plan, teach, reward, discipline. it's all you! you earned it! yyyaaaaayyyy!!! (oh gosh i feel like such a dork bein this excited about the school year =)

14. jaycee

jaycee Rookie

Aug 31, 2007

I agree with you mstemple05. Teach57, you made my day! I am going crazy over everything that I still need to do to prepare myself for my first teaching job.

15. storyh

storyh Companion

Sep 1, 2007

well I have to say it is getting better. Friday was the first time since school started that I felt like "someone's teacher". I had a really good day and it's only going to get better. Thanks to all the support during my melt down.

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2007

If you are feeling at all stressed, there are some great, knowledgable people here to help! Teach57 hit it right on the head: YOU ARE SOMEONE'S TEACHER!! It will get better as the year progresses. The first few weeks of school are always hetic especially with everything that you have going on. Just remember to take it one day at a time...you can always tell yourself that tomorrow will be better!

17. ddwake

ddwake Rookie

Sep 1, 2007

me too!

It's only been one week, and I hate it! I feel horrible, I went to school for 5 years and I was so excited to finally have my own class, but now I completely hate it. Too much responsibility, no time for anything, a principal who doesn't support me, lots of behavior problekms, I have already had 20 parent emails or phone calls (my child needs to be tested for the gifted program, my child feels left out, you need to write notes home everyday in detail about their behavior, etc). I feel like I'm going to have a nervous breakdown! Everyday I wake up with a stomach ache. I just don't want to let everyone down and quit, but I'm REALLY not enjoying it!
    Help please!!!

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 1, 2007

Is there anything at all that you enjoy? Reading aloud? Word work? Science?

Maybe you can refer the testing emails to your guidance counselor. I've found that if you send home a weekly newsletter, or just a regular letter, to update parents, it helps prevent some of their demands.

Does your school have a behavior/discipline plan to follow? Are there forms you could use for kids who act out?

You might be not quite ready for all the responsibility, but you should be able to grow into the job. Don't be so hard on yourself.

19. ddwake

ddwake Rookie

Sep 1, 2007

Our school actually does not have a specific discipline plan. One of my students pretty much spent the 1st week of school crawling around on the floor, blowing in other kids faces, ripping up my sticky notes, and grunting all day. I had to call in my mentor teacher, who couldn't even get him out of my room, and then the counselor who tried to bribe him, and then the nurse who had to call his parents. Through all of this, I talked to my principal who was walking down the hallway, and all she said was, "Every classroom has one of those, all I can tell you is to have structure in your room for him." I do not feel like I have any support in the school at all. I was hired for Kinder, and then a few days before school, I was switched to 2nd, with a mentor who is nice, but stressed out enough for herself.

I teach second grade, and my husband teaches highschool, and he leaves everyday at 3:30, and I stay until 6:30, and then I come home with at least 2 hours of things to do, and he has none. Now, just to be clear, I know that dealing with high school kids can be tougher, but the work load from elementary to high school is very different. I just feel that the responsibility for 22 seven year olds is wearing me down. The other day, one almost swallowed a staple, another hid in the closet while I was speaking with the principal, another stole all the razoers from the pencil sharpeners (about 5), there are about 3 who got home on the wrong bus, even though I personally made them nametags with their bus numbers on them! It's just too much everyday! I hate to think what will happen everyday. The constant meetings, trainings, assessments, staying til 6 or 7 to talk with parents, other teachers, grading....
    I'm just getting really burnt out, and it's only been a week. I just hope I can finish out the year. But then at the same time, like I said before, this is what I went to school for and it's what I thought I'd like. Now I have no idea!! I'm only 23, and I have a great husband and family, but I just want to love my job and not feel so stressed and scared!!

20. BookWorm26

BookWorm26 Rookie

Sep 1, 2007

I'm so glad that I'm not the only person that has had a horrible week. I have just concluded my first week of school and cried myself home on Friday.

I have 5 special needs students who need a lot of modifications, one is MR and one failed last year. One has servere behavioral issues and has been known to kick and throw chairs. One student who's mother passed away a week before school started and another student who's mother is in the hospital not doing so good. Plus, a lot of the "regular" students do not know how to read, write sentences, or write their first and last name. I just feel if I can get through this year, I can do anything. Good luck to everyone!!

21. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 1, 2007

We had a pretty decent week but one coworker said, "Is it still the first week?" It felt like it was a season long. I know my teacher wasn't prepared. She tore a ligament in her ankle the Friday before Prep week and signed up for Volleyball camp. Then she was told to move two classrooms packed full of junk down to 1. I ended up doing all the moving but I didn't have time for the decoration. Half the bulletin boards just had a background on the first day. They are still not done and Back to School Night is Tuesday after a very full day of workshops. She had to do assessments all week and attend volleyball practice. She didn't have many activities planned and this group was fast. She ended up pleading to me to come up with stuff so I was coming up with and setting up 5 centers (activities) in the amount of time for her to read them a story. They did manage to do a cool project (that took waayyy too long) for Back to School Night but it isn't set up, the classroom isn't fully organized, the classroom supplies are still sitting out stacked up in the open, the projects aren't hung up and I have no idea what she plans to do in way of presentation, etc. I can't be there due to babysitting difficulties.

Fast forward to my whole schedule being totally torn up this year. She can't depend on me as much yet I'm being pulled in more than one direction. Add to it that my 2nd prep (speech pull out times are slower) and after school I tend to spend time creating stuff of my own is gone. I'm in another class with 3 students that have severe multiple handicap issues and the teacher doesn't know what she is doing, we don't have resources (traditionally they have gone to our other campus) and after a few days she is asking me to lead the center rotation times (follow my center's lead and take as long as I would like) and she is asking for my feedback on them. It's clear she is overwhelmed too. I don't have afternoons free anymore because now I have bus duty but my Principal may change that for me to do reading tutoring everyday because I'm "overqualified" for bus duty (awww...her words not mine). Then I will be teaching a short class every week at my son's after school clinic. I already have one man I tutor for any college papers and now I'm adding a girl who wants to learn more sign language. All of that on top of my husband being in Afghanistan and me having 3 kids. I'll be alright as long as crisis stop happening, lice stays away (we had to do 5 treatments this summer), stuff stops breaking and people stop dying (2 grandfathers). Everytime my teacher acts like she has the tough end of the deal I want to roll my eyes because she's too much of a 9to5 person who doesn't take it home and she made the extra committment to do volleyball after knowing how it was last year.

Sorry. Mine was too long. I guess I had to vent too.

As far as behavior goes. This group is really chatty and almost too fast paced (any activity you expect to last an hour may take 15 minutes) yet 2 students will be on assignment one while the others have completed 5 things. Last year, on the other hand, required a LOT of classroom management and a lot of modification. It was exhausting but I learned A LOT once I got over the shock value and found things that worked.

22. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Sep 2, 2007

I had a meltdown on Friday, and school hasn't even started yet! Lol... I was hired a week ago, and due to meetings/orientation, I haven't had as much time as I would like in the classroom. I've had my brother, mother, boyfriend, AND his mother come in to help me already, and still feel like nothing is ready. :( I'm beyond thrilled to have this job, I'm just feeling very overwhelmed.

The beginning is going to be rough. Really rough. But as time passes, and we get to know our kids better, and get used to the routine, it WILL get easier. I have confidence in this.

We've worked to hard to get this far! Can't give up now!!! :)

23. storyh

storyh Companion

Sep 2, 2007

I had a good day Friday, but I'm with ddwake. Too much extra stuff to do. I brought home a box of work to do over the weekend and will have to go work in my room some on top of that. I can't stay late during the week b/c I have to pick up my kids, so I have to give up my weekends. ddwake, it sounds like you got a heck of a class. I have a varied one as well, 3 that are supposed to be in 1st or 2nd but are in 3rd and 4 ADHD kids. Just keep your head up and try your best. Hopefully things will get better.

24. ddwake

ddwake Rookie

Sep 2, 2007

: )

It's good to know that there are others out there that are stressed as well. I mean, not that I want anyone to feel like I do, but it makes me feel better that I am not "abnormal" or something! I just really hope it gets better. My husband and I both moved to Texas from New Mexico for our first year teaching jobs (more money and more job options). I think that's another reason this has been so hard for me.

We have both lived in NM our entire lives, and both of our families live there. I think that maybe if we move back next year, I might be able to relax and enjoy teaching more. It's hard enough to be a first year teacher and then to add on learning all about different state assessments/tests and completely different curriculum and cultures. Even though I have my husband, I don't really have any friends here yet, and the teachers at my school don't seem to have much time for anything.
    Even though we have a three day weekend, I don't feel like I can even enjoy it. I brought home so much work to do, and then I still feel kind of sick to my stomache because I am so nervous about going back on Tuesday. As my husband says, I do kind of stress about things too much, but this job has made me way more stressed than usual! Oh well, it's nice to hear from the rest of you!! Take care, and good luck!

Oh and just one more question for the teachers who have been teaching awhile: Are there any of you who just completely hated it in the beginning and felt the way I did, and then later grew to like it? I just really don't think I will change how I feel, but I'm just curious. I even made the decision on Friday that I'm even going to stop making copies for the next years of lessons I like (because I won't use them anyways if this is my last year). : (

25. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 2, 2007

Copy lesson plans but don't copy the papers even if you do continue. It just stays buried, you forget about it and then end up making new copies anyways.

26. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2007

ddwake, don't give up hope. I haven't moved states, but we moved to a new town a year ago, and we really haven't had time to make any friends outside of our neighbors. What part of TX did yall move to? Also, my first year I HATED IT!! I ended up quitting midyear(w/ support from my principal). But I came back the next year and absolutely loved it!! I think that each year it gets better! And I know that having to adapt to new curriculum and culture is hard, not to mention the TAKS(ugh), but it will get easier as the year continues.

27. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Sep 2, 2007

Get some books on tape from your library for the commute. You'll get to read books you've put off, and it's soothing to have someone read to you. Hang in there!

28. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2007

I started new job last week. I have been working Friday and Saturday graveyard shift and local drug store since August. Started college week before. Have two classes, and a third starts in October. I am still paying rent and a mortgage. Hope to move out this month!

I keep saying, well...in May, I'll be finished with college. Then I can relax a little.

29. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Sep 2, 2007

Well,

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who's a little overwhelmed. I was hired about one week before school started and this week, I stayed up until 1:00 a.m. almost everyday. I was also one of the last to leave school each day. Then, on Friday, I lost one of my aides. I love my class and so I'll make it work. The staff is great at the school too.

I decided to hire a housekeeper to help out with the chores that I don't like anyhow. That will take a little stress off. My husband, who's in the military and out of town, doesn't understand why I need to spend so much time at the school and on lesson plans. I already know that I won't have any sort of social life this year. But wait.....I have 3 kids, so what social life?

Good luck to everyone and "hang in there!":2up:

30. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Sep 2, 2007

Ugh. I start Tuesday and I have all these little questions running thru my mind. I feel like I'm not ready because of so many unanswered questions. Everytime I go away from the school I think of more things that I don't know yet. The other day when I had orientation, I had parents askin me about snack and room moms. Um...those were not things that I had thought about. They probably thought I was an idiot because I had no clue how snack went in 1st grade. To me snack isn't really that important, but I guess to some parents it is. Now I'm just thinking ok do I know how to get all of the morning routines done? Do I have enough planned for the 1st day. Ahh! I have 3 SPED kids in my class as well and I'm kinda nervous about having them because of having to turn in lesson plan sheets to the SPED dept. I'm glad I will have an aide in there to help me, but I'm scared she's going to try and run all over me because I've heard she tries to get into everyone's business. Not to mention I feel like she's already trying to tell me what to do and she's telling me things that I know I have to do but I'm just kinda like ok I'm new at this. It will take me time to get used to the routine and everything. Has anyone else ever dealt with an aide or someone like this? I just feel pressured and I'm already stressed enough so I don't need the pressure from her.

31. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2007

My friend has been an aide for 17 years, and she and her teacher hate each other! She is afraid to move because she will lose seniority. I say, how can you work with somebody you hate for that long?? she doesn't know. Says they have been fighting like cats and dogs for years. But the teacher isn't rying to get rid of her, and she doesn't complain (obviously) and I would imagine they act civilized around the kids.

don't know what to say...

Whenever my aides took over my class, they always won because they had been there longer! I don't like conflicts on the job.

good luck with that one... :eek:hmy:

check the archives...I saw at least two other threads during the summer on this topic

32. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2007

OMG..I am just running all over the place.

I am so upset I don't know what to do...

Today was payday...and they didn't pay us!

other staff is used to this garbage...(did I say that)

I asked point blank, where are the checks? I get this."we may not get paid...I've been here 9 months and 5 months they have been late, or a few days..or next pay period."

NEXT PAY period???

I talk to boss and she gives me some budget, state...mess...

I am not trying to hear this.

I have mortage and rent to pay...

I may be living in my car.

oh, I have to pay that too!

this is not right...

my career development ministry sent me number to labor dept.

they kept me on hold!

I just want to scream!

33. JustineCase

JustineCase Rookie

Sep 6, 2007

holy cow! not get paid?

I thought i had it rough, but if there's no guarantee of a paycheck, I'd quit so fast. Retail is not my cup of tea, but i'd go back there because at least i know i'm getting paid on time. When I first started (not in the classroom, this year is my first year in the classroom) I know there was a delay because of paperwork... new hires had to wait almost a month before checks came...but I can't imagine what it'd be like to continually have to deal with it....

34. storyh

storyh Companion

Sep 6, 2007

Are you kidding me?! I don't know about you, but we only get paid once a month at most schools in AR. There's no way I could wait till the next pay period. I'll say a prayer for you. Good luck getting it straightened out.

35. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2007

what is worse..I can't imagine other teachers putting up with this b/s! this is what people stay broke!

I may be broke, but I am not stupid!

36. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2007

no this is just bad management, and bad state funding...and just bad...

they tell the schools, 'you must have a licensed teacher in pre-k or we won't give you money' then they hire me and they say, 'we have the money, it must be released by who knows who.' just playing games!

this is just crazy...

I have heard it..
    I have never seen it

I just can't do it...

I will be a crossing guard standing on the busiest intersection at twenty degrees below zero before I stay with this madness!