It's Official

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Beth2004, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 11, 2006

I spoke with the principal at the private school this morning about the concerns I had with the contract they gave me and she was very understanding. I have now signed the contract and will be dropping it off on Monday when I pick up my class list and curriculum guides. I guess I'm officially a third grade teacher!! I don't think it's really sunk in yet. I always thought I'd be jumping up and down when I got a job, but I guess since this really isn't exactly what I was looking for I wasn't as excited, but after talking to the principal today about sending letters and supply lists to my students and what-not I'm really looking forward to getting started!

3. katrinkit

katrinkit Comrade

Aug 11, 2006

Congratulations!! When do you start?

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 11, 2006

I have inservice days the 24th and 25th and then the students start on the 31st.

5. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Aug 11, 2006

Congratulations! Things work out in mysterious ways. Maybe this class was sent to you for a reason.......

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2006

Great news!!!

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2006

Congratulations, Beth! I hope you have a wonderful year in your own classroom!!!!! :)

8. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 11, 2006

Congratulations... You never know. This might be your calling! Good luck!

9. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Aug 11, 2006

kidnerkids....I have to tell you...I love the quote and the avitar....those are great!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2006

That's great, Beth. Congratulations! You've waited a long time for this!

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2006

Congratulations Beth...you deserve this after the long search! I'm glad that things worked out alright with the contract.

12. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Aug 11, 2006

Congratulations! I've been following your long job hunt and am really excited for you. As said earlier on here, things happen for a reason.

13. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 11, 2006

Beth I am so happy for you. You have been working hard for this and you definately deserve it!!!

14. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 11, 2006

Thanks everyone! :)
    I just finished writing a short letter introducing myself to my students that I will mail to them with their supply lists on Monday. I'm starting to panic a little bit because I know there is a ton that I need to get done before school starts on the 31st, but I'm going to try to relax this weekend and then kick things into high gear when I get my curriculum guides and things on Monday. After that I'll start planning for the first few weeks of school. Unfortunately, I can't start setting up my classroom until the 21st because the summer camp doesn't finish up and get out of there until next week. I did just order a few "Welcome to 3rd grade"-type items online to put up in my room, though. :)

15. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 11, 2006

Congratulations and have fun!!

16. teachtech

teachtech Rookie

Aug 11, 2006

Congratulations! You deserve it for all your hard work!

17. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 11, 2006

Beth, congratulations! :D
    Since I just recently found out I'll be teaching 4th grade, I also get my curriculum guides and room key on Monday...so I'm also enjoy my weekend and my last moment of "freedom". I am excited but a little overwhelmed too.
    Anyhow, it's time for that celebration dinner, enjoy! :love:

18. blessed2teach

blessed2teach Rookie

Aug 11, 2006

Congrats, Beth! I have been sending positive thoughts your way during your job search. Third grade is such a fun grade to teach! I taught third for several years and loved it! You will be great! Have fun and enjoy setting up YOUR room!! :)

19. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2006

Congratulations Beth!!! Third grade is a lot of fun...thats what I taught last year:) I'm really happy for you!!! You will do great:)

20. wifemomteach06

wifemomteach06 Companion

Aug 12, 2006

Congrats Beth! I agree with the others, this class was sent to you for a reason, and I know that you will be great with them!!

21. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Aug 12, 2006

Congratulations!

You will love 3rd grade! When I substituted last year I always prayed that I would get that grade! You are going to have a blast this year! :p

22. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 12, 2006

I'm really looking forward to it! I've worked with many third graders over the years at an after school program, but I dont' have a lot of experience in a third grade classroom (only a few pre-practicum hours). Pretty much all of my actual classroom experience has been with 4th and 5th grade so this will be a little different, but I do love the age level of 3rd graders.....I really wouldn't want to go any younger than that, though!

23. Teri22G

Teri22G Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

Congratulations!!! I hope you have a wonderful year.

24. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Aug 12, 2006

Beth, congratulations!!!! I've been thinking about you alot and I'm glad that you found a job. Third graders are great! I think even though you may be disappointed in your salary, at least you have your own classroom! Does the school have extracurricular activities that you could do to pick up some more money?

You will have a great year...I just know it.
    Congrats.

25. Lime

Lime Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

I'm in the same boat. After a 3 yr job search I finally got a job offer but for a lot less money (13k less than public) and a grade I have no knowledge of (3rd too) in a private school.
    I'm slowly adjusting to the positives though- I FINALLY have my own class and looking forward to proving to myself that I can do this.
    Onward and upward!

26. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 12, 2006

It does sound like we're in the same boat. I'm sure we'll be able to be a support system for each other. ;)

27. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 12, 2006

Congratulations! I really hope you enjoy your school year!

28. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 13, 2006

Beth!!! Good for you! I'm glad you got your issues worked out! I've been hoping you'd get a job soon!!!

29. wifemomteach06

wifemomteach06 Companion

Aug 13, 2006

Hey Beth, just thinking about you! Are you all set for tomorrow? Good luck, can't wait to hear more!

30. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 13, 2006

Beth, I'm so happy for you! I know you'll do a great job with 3rd grade. You've worked so hard this summer to find your own class, and even though this isn't what you had visualized, it's a huge step in getting to where you want to be! Congratulations!

31. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 13, 2006

I cannot wait to get my class list and curriculum guides tomorrow. I'll be able to get a lot more planning and preparing done once I have those things. I'm also hoping to get into my room next weekend (so I won't have to wait until Monday) because I know there are going to be things I'm going to have to buy for the room, but I can't do that until I know how much space I have and what's already being provided for me. I hate knowing that there's a million things I should be doing, but can't do any of it yet!

32. Lime

Lime Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

Beth,

I'm so in the same boat! I feel like I'm running around w/my head cut off- going to Big Lots, used bookstores but not getting anything done. I've got to finish the paper work, get my textbooks and hopefully after talking w/the other 3rd grade teacher I'll be able to bring down some of this frenetic anxiety! I'm so tempted to buy stuff but it's like the chicken and the egg isn't it? I'm going in w/a camera and measuring tape. I don't even have a desk! I'm on craigslist and I keep seeing chairs, lamps, etc. for free but I've got to WAIT til I get all the facts.

As I'm doing my room in a surfer/tiki mode it's especially frustrating when I see cute stuff...
    What are you planning for the first day? I'm looking for a fun simple activity.

33. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 13, 2006

I was at staples yesterday and saw so many things I wanted to buy (desk organizers, things to hold books, etc) but I have no idea what's already going to be in the room for me or how much room I'm going to have to add things. I hate being at such a stand-still! I just want to know what I need and get everything done. Hopefully some of my questions will be answered tomorrow.

34. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2006

I'm so excited for you!!! Everything will fall into place soon and you'll be all set for school. And you never stop wanting to buy things for your classroom...I still do...and then I cringe when I get my credit card bills...lol!

35. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 13, 2006

Ha! I feel the same way! I was able to work in my room a little on Friday, and for the first 15 minutes, I just sat in the middle of the room staring around and thinking "Where do I even begin?" Then I re-arranged the furniture and took down last year's bulletin boards. This took me 3 hours! I kept changing my mind! I have supply money to spend but I have no idea what to buy first! And I don't know what I can keep and what will belong to the school. There's so much to do and so many questions! I only have 9 days until school starts :eek: so I hope I can get it together enough to make itthrough the first three days!

36. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2006

So Beth have you begun planning?

37. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 17, 2006

I got all of my curriculum guides and stuff on Monday and started to plan, but I can't really set up my plan book yet because I don't know what my schedule is going to look like (lunch times, specials times, etc). At this point I'm just really looking forward to getting in there on Monday, starting to set up the room and finding out my schedule and what-not so I can plan the subjects around those other things.