It's official. I'm burned out.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by linswin23, May 5, 2016.

1. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

May 5, 2016

I am usually a really motivated and driven teacher. However, I'm not currently at a school where I feel valued. I will be leaving and working at another school next year, which I am really looking forward to. The thought of the next month and a half (we are done the last week of June) fills me with dread. I have been operating in survival mode. My kids are not the problem. I love them. I just am exhausted and need a break. I don't want to quit teaching. There's nothing else I want to do. I am just burned out. How can I make it through the rest of the school year? I hate the way I feel. Tips?

anon55 likes this.
  3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 5, 2016

Make it through this year for those students you have now. They probably love you right back. Even if this is your last year there, those kiddos are worth putting in the effort for another few weeks. If you can, leave the problems on the other side of your classroom door and make it all about who is in that room with you.

4. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

May 5, 2016

Thanks for posting this! I am definitely trying to be mindful of how I spend my last month and a half with my little ones. I know they love me. I really do love them and want to be the best I can be for them.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 6, 2016

So, you have a job lined up already? If you're not worried about your current principal giving a good reference, why not do some of the fun stuff you may have put off this year? Bend the rules a bit and go outside of the box of what you're required to do. I'm not saying be a terrible teacher, in fact, the opposite. Do an activity that reminds you why you got into teaching. If you love reading aloud or doing art projects, try to work more of that into your day. Teach them to write poems and let them color a fun border to surround it. Do something that brings some joy into your day.

I let my kids do a Mother's Day art project today. Oh my word - they were so on task and loving the coloring/cutting/gluing required (it did also require writing). Sometimes kids and teachers need a break. Doing something fun is like bringing fresh air into your classroom.

linswin23 likes this.
  6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 7, 2016

If you have some sick or personal days left, take a "mental health" day or two. Curl up and read, dig in your garden, or binge watch TV. A little break can go a long way to keeping you going until the end.

Caesar753, linswin23 and otterpop like this.
  7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 7, 2016

This is a great idea too.

linswin23 and MrsC like this.
  8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 7, 2016

I'm taking one on Monday. Need a bit of a breather before the long haul to the end of June.

linswin23 likes this.
  9. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

May 7, 2016

I hear ya. I get burnt out too, and this year has somehow seemed to both fly by and drag on forever. It's like I cannot believe it's almost over, but I'm completely exhausted and mustering the enthusiasm for the last few weeks is almost impossible.

I agree with those that say do something fun. One of the reasons I can usually keep smiling and going through a school year is I make a point of taking care of ME. A colleague and mentor of mine used to say she was "subbing for [her]self" on certain days. She'd find something to occupy the kids, usually a movie. She could work quietly at her desk, get caught up on grading or whatever she needed to do, and the kids were usually very content, happy to have a break themselves. I haven't done as many of those days this year because I've actually had to be out for a few health-related issues, so I think it has taken it's toll.

I take mental health days off too, though I always prefer Fridays. If I take a Monday off, I spend it thinking about what we're going to be doing Tuesday. Friday just kicks off the weekend! :)

Good luck to you.

linswin23 likes this.
  10. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 7, 2016

My kids like partner reading, and they are quite good at staying on task when doing so. It's a good opportunity to get caught up on things while feeling confident they're building their skills.

linswin23 likes this.
  11. Sassy98

Sassy98 Rookie

May 7, 2016

Hang on tight, its almost SUMMER VACATION!!!

linswin23 likes this.
  12. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

May 8, 2016

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I'll make it! Great ideas about doing something fun with my kiddos. They really deserve it. Yes, me time is essential! I have been pretty good about this lately, but teachers can never have enough me time.