It's October, the Pink Ribbons are out, and

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by teach'ntx, Oct 20, 2011.

1. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Oct 20, 2011

I got my first mamogram today. I three blood relatives (including my mom twice :wub:) who haved survived breast cancer so I will be getting the test yearly starting this year.

Hopefully this post will remind others to make sure they get their exams. Early detection is why my relatives are all survivors!!!

Now gracefully stepping off my soap box :whistle:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2011

Thanks so much for the important reminder!

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 21, 2011

Yay... teach!!!

I am waiting towards the end of the month to cut my hair and donate again. My cousin (a hairdresser) told me if I waited until around Halloween it will be long enough...

5. Major

Major Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2011

Cancer is an ugly breast........ Get your mamos ladies........:)

6. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2011

Got mine yesterday and the call today that it was normal. I get them every year and hold my breath until I get that call. They were fast this year.
    They are not fun but the discomfort is brief. Get one ladies!

7. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Oct 21, 2011

Both of my girls have birthdays in the summer so I started eight years ago getting my mammos in the summer so if I ever thought about putting the mammo off, my girls b-days would be a reminder as to why mammos are so important.

*typing this wearing my pink sweater - my entire building wears pink every Friday during October to honor the two teachers who are breast cancer survivors and to our one beloved friend who watches us wear pink from heaven. I am even wearing pink today even though we are on Fall Break today.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2011

Today was the NJ Education Association's 'Pink Day'. All over my state, teachers wore pink and made donations to benefit the Susan Koman for the Cure affiliates in NJ. We all wore jeans and pink, paid $5 each and raised several hundred dollars. :thumb:

9. Major

Major Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2011

Thanks nice cza...........:hugs:

10. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Oct 21, 2011

Congrats on the positive call Mary! INTeacher - I can not think of a better reminder on why the exam is so important!!!
    Our district only has one day and almost the whole school wore pink (which happened to be yesterday - the day of my exam). Our PTO did a fundraiser for the Susan G Koman Foundation in which I bought adorable pink headbands for my daughters and many raffle tickets for a cool pink shirt with a bling ribbon on it or a black sweatshirt with a pink ribbon. My whole class celebrated with me when I won the pink shirt (atleast the girls did :) )